Question Reef hook: bolt snap or carabiner?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I usual don’t have time to recoil it. I just clip the BSS on the RH end back to my left chest D-ring and stuff the loose rope in between my belly and BCD belly strap to avoid entanglement. I recoil it back during the 3 minute safety stop.

There is a quicker way of recoiling the rope as shown by Alec Peirce in this video:

The process shown at ca. 4:40 in the video is exactly the way we were shown how to stow the reef hooks the boat gave us in the Maldives. It takes a few seconds of "weaving" to make a very compact unit, unwinds quickly when needed, and with a bit of practice can be done without looking after you unhook while enjoying the rest of the dive. The video shows them using a carabiner, but bolt snap on 3/16" or 1/4" nylon or poly rope was plenty strong enough and very easy to deploy. I think many of the coiled wire-rope and other suggestions are overly complicated solutions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom