Reef Sharks in Roatan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hemlon

Contributor
Reaction score
I signed up for a shore excursion on my upcoming cruise for reef shark diving in Roatan.

Has anyone been on one of these excursions? If so, any thoughts, advice, etc?

Thanks!

I have been to Roatan. never saw any sharks. Really awesome Dive. Try to got to a resort called Las Rocas. I did my dive through them. Really great people.

I'm curious what you thought of your cruise and the reef shark dive as my husband and I are going August 21st.

The prices are really steep on Norweigian Sea and I'm hopeful if you can tell me if it is worthwhile or not?

Did you find you would have been able to make these arrangements outside of the cruiseline for cheaper?

Any suggestions would be appreciated as this is our first cruise and we just got certified two days ago so we are really green!

I am also booked on the Norwegian Sea (Sept 25-Oct 2) & will be diving in Roatan, so would love to hear back from any & all who have been there. Trying to decide about the shark dive, so any thoughts?

I was in Roatan last year and stayed at Coco View. We did the shark dive with another outfit called Wailuka(sp?) which we had to pay extra for-about 70bucks. It was well worth it and I would highly recommend it! About 12-15 6-8 ft reef sharks swim around waiting for the feed buckets to arrive and then SHOWTIME!

Do a search as a read a report recently about someone who just went several weeks ago!

Just got back from the Norwegian Sea Cruise. The shark dive in Roatan was the absolute best dive we went on. I highly recommend it.

You will be taken in a car to a location about 10 minutes away where you will suit up, get a brief lecture on what to do and what not to do and then you will be taken aboard a boat to a shark dive location.

FYI - It can be rough seas so I advise you to take dramamine before you go this day.

You dive directly down (70 ft) and you sit at the bottom on your knees. The guide entices the sharks with food and they swim within inches of you. Many groupers as well. The guide has named all the sharks and fish in the area as he has been doing this for 5 years. Very interesting to find out that the fish and sharks seem to stay in one area. The shark are up to 9 - 10 ft. long. One is pregnant presently.

It is strange as it is really not a swimming dive, but it is fantastic.

When you finish you will see the video of your dive an have the opportunity to purchase it for $40.

They take you back to the ship and you have enough time to eat and then take a stroll in Roatan. There are a few people on the main road that are selling a bunch of junk, shirts, SHELLS, and offer to braid your hair.

Young children will come up to you. Some are trying to sell you a shell, but most of the others are just wanting to speak to Americans so they can learn english better. We met Oscar, a little 9 year old boy and his brother and friend. If you see them, feel free to ask them anything about the city as they are most helpful. They have to hide when the police come as they are not suppose to bother the ship customers...but we found them to be delightful. A nice tip to them at the end of the walk...is most appreciated by these nice boys.

FYI - the other days are 2 tank dives. Cozumel you see for 100 mile visibility.

Any other questions about the Norwegian Sea...just let me know. Alcohol is $5.75 each w/ specials of $3.75 for certain drinks. Soda can be purchased seperately or you can purchase an all you can drink sticker for $28.75. The diet coke is super flat, diet sprite is better.

Staff is awesome...super friendly!

Have fun!

charlemagne:
Just got back from the Norwegian Sea Cruise. The shark dive in Roatan was the absolute best dive we went on. I highly recommend it.

You will be taken in a car to a location about 10 minutes away where you will suit up, get a brief lecture on what to do and what not to do and then you will be taken aboard a boat to a shark dive location.

FYI - It can be rough seas so I advise you to take dramamine before you go this day.

You dive directly down (70 ft) and you sit at the bottom on your knees. The guide entices the sharks with food and they swim within inches of you. Many groupers as well. The guide has named all the sharks and fish in the area as he has been doing this for 5 years. Very interesting to find out that the fish and sharks seem to stay in one area. The shark are up to 9 - 10 ft. long. One is pregnant presently.

It is strange as it is really not a swimming dive, but it is fantastic.

When you finish you will see the video of your dive an have the opportunity to purchase it for $40.

They take you back to the ship and you have enough time to eat and then take a stroll in Roatan. There are a few people on the main road that are selling a bunch of junk, shirts, SHELLS, and offer to braid your hair.

Young children will come up to you. Some are trying to sell you a shell, but most of the others are just wanting to speak to Americans so they can learn english better. We met Oscar, a little 9 year old boy and his brother and friend. If you see them, feel free to ask them anything about the city as they are most helpful. They have to hide when the police come as they are not suppose to bother the ship customers...but we found them to be delightful. A nice tip to them at the end of the walk...is most appreciated by these nice boys.

FYI - the other days are 2 tank dives. Cozumel you see for 100 mile visibility.

Any other questions about the Norwegian Sea...just let me know. Alcohol is $5.75 each w/ specials of $3.75 for certain drinks. Soda can be purchased seperately or you can purchase an all you can drink sticker for $28.75. The diet coke is super flat, diet sprite is better.

Staff is awesome...super friendly!

Have fun!

Thanks for the info. One more question...did you do all your dives through the cruiseline or did you go independent?

Since this was our first cruise, we didn't want to take a chance that an independent would miss the ship, so we went ahead and did the cruise dives.
I checked with independent shops and I couldn't find anyone that would work with us as they all stated they had an agreement w/ the cruiseline that they wouldn't mess with cruiseline people.
Can't remember if I told you but:
FYI - Cozumel had visibility of about 100ft. A really sweet English gal did our camera work. She charges $60 cash or you can send her funds via ebay as well for a DVD of your dive. This includes editing, and music in the background.
Roatan - You can buy a video of the dive the same day for $40.
Belize - No taping or cameras came along.
Cancun - No diving offered.

Would love to hear your experiences when you get back. Please keep-in-touch.

Sincerely,

ask4amy@firstteam.com

Thanks for the info. I was considering this shark dive myself. I'll be on the Norwegian Dream Nov. 7-14. This will be the first year however, we take our about to be newly certified 13 yr old diver daughter and she is afraid of sharks so my husband and my dive time will be shared to accommodate everyone and make it a trip she will always remember.

charlemagne:
Since this was our first cruise, we didn't want to take a chance that an independent would miss the ship, so we went ahead and did the cruise dives.
I checked with independent shops and I couldn't find anyone that would work with us as they all stated they had an agreement w/ the cruiseline that they wouldn't mess with cruiseline people.
Can't remember if I told you but:
FYI - Cozumel had visibility of about 100ft. A really sweet English gal did our camera work. She charges $60 cash or you can send her funds via ebay as well for a DVD of your dive. This includes editing, and music in the background.
Roatan - You can buy a video of the dive the same day for $40.
Belize - No taping or cameras came along.
Cancun - No diving offered.

Would love to hear your experiences when you get back. Please keep-in-touch.

Sincerely,

ask4amy@firstteam.com

The English girl is Debi and she do's a really good job with the video

Back
Top Bottom