Reef Sharks in Roatan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This reply is out of date but it may be of future interest. A couple of years ago, I booked a shark Dive in Roatan from a cruise ship. The Dive Operator was Waihuka Adventure Diving. While I have read several posts regarding diving with this dive operator, all were missing a key element which made this dive the most adrenaline pumping dive experience I ever had. After grouping up at the dive site ( face to face) we were allowed to swim out among the sharks. There were probably 10-15 eight to twelve foot grey reef sharks. They swam within a foot or two of us. On several occasions, I could have reached out and touched them ( I didn't). I don't know if other dive operators go to this same site but don't allow free swimming or were we extremely lucky to have this close encounter. In any event, no posts that I have read mentioned free swimming with the sharks. An article was published in SCUBA Diving magazine which described this same dive but once again, no mentioned of the swimming event.

If you plan to visit Roatan, would recommend contacting Waihuka Adventure Diving. Ask if the swim is still part of the encounter. They have started a web site but it isn't completed yet ( just the home page) http://www.waihuka.com/ If you go, you won't forget this dive. I bought the video and made a Power Point of it. It doesn't capture the excitement of the video but it makes the point.

A couple of shots from the Waihuka Shark dive...

Shark3.jpg

Shark1.jpg

Shark2.jpg

Be careful of Waihuka we used them 2 years ago for there shark dive and 3 members of our group had to abort the dive and the remainder of the group was sick with bad gas. Figured out that there snorkel on the compressor was very close to where the boats are docked and there was exhaust being sucked into the compressor and being pumped into the tanks. They refused to refund anyones cost and were very defencive about the whole issue.

That being said I would gladly do the dive again but would take tanks with you if at all possible I know Fantasy island allowed another group while we were there take tanks with them after hearing of our incident. I would assume the problem has most likely been resolved since we were there last but just a heads up.

Sorry to hear you got some bad air. We have gone three times, well three for my wife, and twice for me. The swimming with the sharks is on condition from what I know. They told me that in the morning dives, the sharks are hungry and a bit more aggressive, but in the afternoon, they almost alays get to let people swim with them. I swam with the sharks both times. Great experience where else could a normal person get such fantastic shark pics! BTW I went once on a cruise ship, and used CCV for the dys diving. I didn't mention that I ws on a cruise ship, and they didn't ask. Seemed to work perfect for us.

We did the shark dive in Roatan and booked it through the windsurf of the Windstar cruise line. The dive is on the other side of the island and the current and sea can be pretty rough. On our dive they almost called it due to the current since 5 people were not able to make it down. You go down the anchor line to a small reef about 6' high. You stand with your back to the reef when they feed the sharks. Prior to feeding they let you swim among the sharks. We had about a dozen 6'-9' sharks. There's a large moray in the reef who comes out to check on the crowd. You will definately get to see them up close, sometimes inches. Our dm's (2) were Italian and gave us a briefing at the dock. The bait bucket was literally 3' in front of me and got 30 minutes of great video. Best shark dive I've ever been on. If you ever want to see a lot of sharks, go to the Hatteras area of N. Carolina. On most wrecks you'll see multiple sharks. Mostly sand tiger but some bull, nurse, etc. www.capt-jt.com is a great outfit to dive with and if you do a search on SB you can see my review. Have a great time.

If you have a choice of doing this in the morning where the sharks are more aggressive, or in the afternoon, where you may be able to swim with the sharks, which would you recommend?

Sounds fantastic! I'm definitely doing this!

Lew Abahazy:
There were probably 10-15 eight to twelve foot grey reef sharks.
Grey Reef Sharks don't get bigger than 10 feet.

I did this dive and apparently my group is the only group that did not like the service or attitude of the dive operators. The dive was great but the briefing was over kill. Most of the divers in our group were novice. I think I was the only diver with more than 5 dives in my log book. I currently have 212 dives logged.

During the briefing I was considering just getting up and leaving. The comments made by the DM were completely uncalled for. Not once did the DM say anything to me, nor I to him.

Here is a list of comments made by the DM.
"If you do not grab the current line immediately upon entering the water, the current will swipe you away and we are not going to go get you."

"If I see anyone swimming away from the wall, the dive will be called off and you will have a bunch of people p*ssed off at you"

"Do not attempt to touch any of the sharks. If I see anyone even get close to a shark, I will assume you are trying to touch a shark. I will inflate your BC, you will rocket to the surface from 72 feet, you will get an air embolism and float away in the current. We are not going to go get anyone who ruins our dive. We will just let you float all the way to Honduras, and they are not real happy about Americans down there either. I know how you Americans are sue happy so f you think you can sue me, think again. Your American laws do not apply in this country."

I was shocked. I looked around the room to see the reaction of the other divers. Most everyone seemed to have a dumb founded look at their face.

Everyone had a dive buddy except me. The DM never asked about dive buddies or even attempted to team anyone up. There was no way I was going to ask a question. I am very comfortable in the water and didn't think I would have an issue getting to the surface if something happened. He had already explained that the current line was anchored to the top of the reef wall and the raft would be tied to the buoy. After the raft was tied to the buoy the DM noticed that seagulls were diving in the water near by. He told everyone that the birds diving in the water was a sign that a whale shark may be close by. Then he stated if there is a whale shark in the water after he gets in... we are on our own, because he was going to follow the whale shark.

I overheard a conversation between the DM and a young female diver about the size of her BC. She asked for a smaller BC but was told that was the last one. The DM told her that it would be OK, he would just give her more weight. When we got to the bottom I noticed the lady on the bottom with the BC up around her head.

As everyone walked out to the dock I noticed the dive boat was a raft. The raft barely held the ten divers and equipment. When we got in I thought there is no way in h*ll we will be able to get our equipment on. As we walked down the dock, the other divers started whispering amongst themselves. One gentleman, noticing I had all my own equipment, asked me if I had every been here before. I replied no, but I have been a lot of places in the Caribbean and never heard a briefing like we just had.

As we were standing around waiting on the DM and the guy who drives the raft someone asked out loud if we thought the DM would actually inflate someone's BC for doing something wrong. I replied that I always carry a large knife in BC. That's all I said. That was all it took for everyone else to speak up. The lady with the large BC told her husband she was scared. He claimed her down and asked her to stay by his side.

I was the first to reach the bottom. Most divers were trying to adjust their rented equipment. After everyone was on the bottom I notice a guy trying to get to his pressure gauge. It was tucked up under his BC. Interesting the DM didn't notice this. I swam over to the guy and end up having to remove his BC to get the pressure gauge loose. Not once did the DM offer any help.

Once everyone was in place against the wall, the DM motioned for everyone to swim freely but to stay close to the bottom. It was kind of funny because everyone turned to looked at each other, as if to say.... I'm not leaving the wall, you go first. Then all at once everyone left the wall and started swimming around the area. It was like all the rules the DM had given us in the briefing went out the window. The sharks showed up and the dive end with any events. I didn't see anyone touch a shark. The guy with the feeding bucket thought it would be funny to try and scare me. He came up from behind me and grabbed my fin , jerking around on it like he was a shark or something. When I turned around, he did a stupid laughing motion. If I wasn't in a foreign country he would have had problems on the service.

Everyone loved the actually dive but the Waihuka dive shop and service was a joke. it was almost like they hated us for being there. It came time for the video and the sales pitch. A few of us bought the video for $40 dollars. It was a good video on their TV, but when I got it home mine didn't work. I wrote them and asked for another copy, I was told I would get one in the mail. Never happened.

As I ran across some of the divers on the cruise ship (NCL).. all but one had filed a written complaint to NCL. I have done the same. It is not NCL's issue but I would think they would want to know what the dive operation is doing and how they are treating their customers.

It is my opinion that the DM could have got his point across with out being so rude and insinuating that he would harm you if you did not follow his rules.

Diver beware!

snturner

Sorry to hear about your experience. We had a great time but had our own gear and only 6 in our group. We have done a fair amount of shark dives all over the world and found the briefing the standard "you will die if you don't follow our instructions". Sergio did our briefing and without a doubt he has a dry sense of humor and much of what he says in tongue in cheek. The current is an issue there and everyone is supposed to be certified divers. We found his operation to be on par with and better than many.

Let's take stock of what this is: a canned shark dive rodeo.

Look at it from the Dive Master's perspective: The tourists show up and want a thrill.

I am not attacking you, but I have to take this face on, point by point...

UnhappyDiver:
I did this dive and apparently my group is the only group that did not like the service or attitude of the dive operators.

No, there have been others. But all in all- mostly positive.

The dive was great but the briefing was over kill. Most of the divers in our group were novice. I think I was the only diver with more than 5 dives in my log book. I currently have 212 dives logged.

I think that says a lot. I have 20x the number of logged dives as do you, and when I went to their Shark Dive, I shut up, listened with rapt attention and did precisely what I was told. You will find that this is a real good policy if you want to go home each night. You were surrounded by potential "Shark Chow". 5 dives is no place to make this one #6. Sounds like NCL isn't quite laying out the conditions for these kids?

Maybe what you heard as threats, I just saw as an attempt at humor.

During the briefing I was considering just getting up and leaving. The comments made by the DM were completely uncalled for. Not once did the DM say anything to me, nor I to him.

No, he was speaking at you. Maybe he was off base, but you were about to do the dive most fraught with possibilities to "really mess up" that you may well have ever seen.

Here is a list of comments made by the DM.
"If you do not grab the current line immediately upon entering the water, the current will swipe you away and we are not going to go get you."

What would you have them say? This area is known for serious surface currents of .5~1 m.p.h. What would you suggest they do? Let me see- one boat at anchor and 6 people that paid attention are in the water, on the down line. 6 are still in the boat waiting to get in. Then Joe Diver flops in and forgets the briefing. He is headed for Nicaragua. What would you suggest?

"If I see anyone swimming away from the wall, the dive will be called off and you will have a bunch of people p*ssed off at you"

Again, the current in this area can often read 1mph. Here's a fact- you can barely keep apace with 1/8 mph current. So you decide to venture off and explore. Great. Leave the safe shadow (from the current) of the coral ledge they have you duck behind. Adios, Diver Dan, see ya' later. Off to Nicaragua (again).

Besides- the DM's know where you are, they know where the Sharks are, the both of them know where the food is. You're the tourist. Why confuse the Sharks with your thrashing about where they are not used to?

"Do not attempt to touch any of the sharks. If I see anyone even get close to a shark, I will assume you are trying to touch a shark.

Good advice... for some.

I will inflate your BC...

That indeed is out of hand, but equally unlikely for them to actually do. Maybe a bit of drama? Poorly stated, but if the previous items irritated you, maybe the reality of the truth of the rest of it was equally just as possible an extra irritant. Again- out of hand, but really? What do you think? He was dramataic Diver Man that day.

I was shocked. Most everyone seemed to have a dumb founded look at their face.

Not so shocked that you bailed?

Everyone had a dive buddy except me. The DM never asked

You should always speak up, but as you may have noticed, at the bottom- you're all elbow to elbow... not hard to get help.

no way I was going to ask a question.

Again~ always speak up and express your concerns, quietly- to the DM. It is your responsibilty.You violated "Rule #1 on Dealinmg with your DM".

I am comfortable in the water..didn't think I would have an issue

Oh, so it wasn't a problem. Or was it? I'm confused.

He had already explained that the current line was... we are on our own, because he was going to follow the whale shark.

Their usual policy is to turn it into a drift dive. One DM will float off and the other will take the other unwilling guests back up the line. Maybe you misunderstood?

..conversation between DM and diver about the size of her BC. She asked for a smaller BC but it was the last one. DM told her that he would just give her more weight. I noticed her with the BC up around her head.

That is a problem with tourism dives. Rental gear is not appropriate for XSM or XXL divers. It's rarely available at most operations. Most divers also refuse to use the extra 10# of lead that you should take along on any such dive.

Being overweighted (within the BC's compensation range) is okay for such dives, you do have the downline and the skills of a diver. Still- most divers will not do it. You want to be "kerplunk" on the bottom.

Like they say, "Buy your own dive gear", but these folks weren't on a dive trip, they were on a cruise.

As we walked out to the dock I noticed the dive boat was a raft. barely held the ten divers and equipment.

No, it's called a RIB. You will find these operated by the Navy Seals and most liveaboard diveboats. They are part of advanced diving, stuff that makes our eyes grow wide when we first see them.

When we got in I thought there is no way will be able to get our equipment on.

But I guess it went okay? Yes, it isn't like a standard dive boat, but it's not like you're spending a day there.

As we walked down the dock, the other divers started whispering amongst ...

Anybody so afraid that they bailed?

someone asked out loud if we thought the DM would actually inflate someone's BC ? I replied that I always carry a large knife in BC.

I too am a member of the large knife club. Well, I was, anyway. Were you planning on puncturing the BC... or were you actually ready to "stab" the DM. Oy, gevalt!

That's all I said.... everyone else to speak up. Large BC lady told her husband she was scared.

Anybody bail, yet?

Most divers were trying to adjust their rented equipment.

What does that mean? I don't care what POS gear you give a diver, by gods he will have it rigged and ready before he flops in. These people were certified?

After everyone was on the bottom I notice a guy trying to get to his pressure gauge. It was tucked up under his BC.

Jeepers. (read above comments)

Interesting the DM didn't notice this.

Do not infer any standard of care or certification level from someone called a "D.M." in a destination resort environment.

I swam over to the guy and end up having to remove his BC to get the pressure gauge loose. Not once did the DM offer any help.

Why would you bother? That could have been a world of trouble. They are just as easy to "snake out" of their mis-position. Why bother? Just take a position next to him and read it for him when he was curious. Nobody blows through a tank on the shark dive... well... somebody might, I dunno.

Once everyone was in place against the wall, the DM motioned for everyone to swim freely but to stay close to the bottom.

As many times as I have done this and heard reports from this dive, never heard that one before.

I'm not leaving the wall, you go first.

Group Smarts!

Then all at once everyone left the wall

Collective Dumb.

all the rules the DM had given us in the briefing went out the window.
guy with the feeding bucket thought it would be funny to try and scare me.

Try to get in the spirit here, will'ya?

loved the dive but the Waihuka dive shop service was a joke. it was almost like they hated us for being there.

Maybe they do have an issue with certain dive parties. If so, it's understandable, but absolutely inexcusable. Cruise ship divers may be considered high-risk, high maintainence doofusses, but they deserve the same respect as any patron.

The generalization may be painful, but stereotypes do come from fact. If you, an advanced diver, arrive with the cruise ship crowd, expect some dumming down. Again, I agree, you should not be treated rudley!

DVD- but when I got it home mine didn't work. Never happened.

Email them.

As I ran across some of the divers on the cruise ship (NCL).. all but one had filed a written complaint to NCL. I have done the same. It is not NCL's issue but I would think they would want to know what the dive operation is doing and how they are treating their customers.

Good! I believe that you are saying that NCL's description was the problem. Either that- or you didn't listen to them, either.

It is my opinion that the DM could have got his point across with out being so rude and insinuating that he would harm you if you did not follow his rules.

I agree with that absolutely. Again- maybe he was joking and the fear & tension made it hard for most to understand?/B]

Diver beware!

So- what's that "big knife" for, anyway?

The Shark dive isn't for everyone. Cruise ship divers can go snorkel in West Bay, they can join the droves and do the "Dolphin Pester" at AKR. They might jump on a boat with Native Sons or Bananarama, they might sign up for serious diving with Subway. Ask questions and dive within your comfort zone.

Quite often, when cruise ship divers show up at my favorite Roatan resort, I volunteer to lead a group for the experience and amusement factor.

I am rarely disappointed, but I do treat them with respect... as I watch them like a hawk.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom