Reefmaster Mini - quality of shots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the battery suggestions, I will look into it for sure. We bought the camera right before heading to Belize and didn't think much more then grab a lot of 'AA's and toss all into the suitcase. I would say I get approx. 30-50 shots per pair of batteries, maybe more. I honestly didnt keep track.

We have the Vivtar version (6200w) and take it on every dive. It will do great in i) shallow clear water at any distance or ii) 2-4 feet in deep or turbid water with flash forced on. outside of those ranges you will need an external flash and a camera with aperture priority capability.

I bought a mini last year and I think its great. If you are a serious photographer this probably isn't for you but I love the fact that I can keep it in a pouch on my BC and take it out quickly if something interesting happens. I agree with the previous poster though that buying the wide-angle lens does make a huge difference. The other thing I really like is the video feature which you can switch to very easily underwater. I've shot some great video with it. If you are in clear water with a decent amount of light you really will get some good pictures.

For me a camera that needs its batteries changed every two dives, necessitating opening the underwater case with the attendant risk of a flood, is unacceptable.

Unless you have used a camera underwater you won't realise how great is the ever-present risk of a flood, with total loss of the camera. It's not a question of whether your camera will flood, but when. The more times you have to open the case the greater the risk.

Depending on the battery used, the Mini wouldn't need changing every two dives. I had my mini with Energizer E2's for over 3 months!

Examples PICT0110.jpg

DSCN0034.jpg, Vivitar 6200W (sister to SeaLife Ecoshot).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom