Reel and SMB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iflyprops

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

After some reading I have decided to purchase a surface marker buoy and a reel. There are so many out there, however, and I need some help! I wan't a reel or finger spool that can be used for the SMB but also can be used when I get into more technical diving such as in wreck environments. Does the SMB need an OP valve? I would be afraid I'd blow the darn thing up without one! Can anyone recommend any in particular, the cheaper/best built options would be best as I'm a college student :wink: ! I have been warned that Dive Rite makes cruddy reels, other than that I don't really have any knowledge.

Thanks!!

I'm not sure if getting an inexpensive reel is the right way to go if you want to eventually use it for more technical diving. You'll probably wind up spending more in the long run when you have to replace the cheap one.

I just purchased Halcyons' 5" primary reel. At $140, it's not cheap, but it's a rock solid piece of equipment that you won't grow out of. This is of course, not the only option. I've heard good things about Abyss reels, but have never tried one myself. You can get one of those for under $100. If you don't have to have the reel right away, my advice is to save up for the best one you can afford.

IMHO- You don't need to go as crazy with the lift bag. Just try to get one with a dump, and without an open bottom for eventual tech use. I have the 5' OMS SMB. I believe it was about $50 or so at Leisure Pro.

Thanks Scotty,

I think I may get a 3" reel from Abyss as they have awsome prices with their sale going on right now. I'll probobly end up with one of their SMB's also as they look very nice. Thanks for the feedback!

Let me know what you think when you get it. I picked up the 5" to use primarily as a low vis navigation reel for wreck diving up here. I can also use it to shoot the SMB and so avoid carrying two reels or a reel and a spool.

I was looking at that Abyss 3" to use on vacation and on dives with better visibility.

Will do. Right now I plan on using it primarily for shooting an SMB and as a "starter" reel for when I get into tech.

iflyprops:
I wan't a reel or finger spool that can be used for the SMB but also can be used when I get into more technical diving such as in wreck environments.
I recommend a simple delrin finger spool unless you are planning on deploying from 100'+ depth. You don't need or want to tote around a large wreck spool just to shoot a lift bag.

Does the SMB need an OP valve? I would be afraid I'd blow the darn thing up without one!
It's a good idea if you are deploying it from depth.

Can anyone recommend any in particular, the cheaper/best built options would be best as I'm a college student :wink: !
I have the 4.5' Halcyon. I don't recomend it because I don't like the way it inflates. The disconnect an lp hose to fill sounded like a good idea when I bought it but it's actually a fairly clumbsy way to do it. I'd rather fill with a spare reg. (And forget blowing it up with your mouth unless you are at depth and the expansion can fill it up). If I had it to do over I would have probably gone with the OMS bag.

Of course if money is no object (which you already say it is) I'd use a self inflating bouy: http://www.apvalves.com/SMBCi.html.

I have been warned that Dive Rite makes cruddy reels, other than that I don't really have any knowledge.
There are a lot of technical divers who are so hung up on brands that they will trash anything made by the competition even if no reason exists to do so.

Personally I own eqipment manufactured by all of the "big 3" and they all make good equipment. I have 2 DiveRite reels and have never had an issue with either. Only complaint I have is that the plastic lockdown nut can break (a known issue as they come with an extra.) However these can be replaced with a metal lockdown nut.

I have no doubt that the Halcyon reel is a little better, but I don't think it's better enough to justify the price difference.

James

Thanks for the info James. I have never seen a self inflating marker buoy before, kinda neat albeit bulky. I actually just ordered an Abyss 3" Reel and 4' SMB. The SMB does have an OPV, that was one of the features that I required as I probobly would blow it up...just because I tend to do those sort of things...LOL. I may hate the reel for the smb, but you can never have to many reels...:)

James Goddard:
I recommend a simple delrin finger spool unless you are planning on deploying from 100'+ depth. You don't need or want to tote around a large wreck spool just to shoot a lift bag.

I like reels for multi use, but yes, spools if their only use is possible SMB deployment. My Fiance has a spool and SMB in case we get seperated. I carry the reel for nav, and dual use it for my SMB if needed.

I have the 4.5' Halcyon. I don't recomend it because I don't like the way it inflates. The disconnect an lp hose to fill sounded like a good idea when I bought it but it's actually a fairly clumsy way to do it. I'd rather fill with a spare reg. (And forget blowing it up with your mouth unless you are at depth and the expansion can fill it up). If I had it to do over I would have probably gone with the OMS bag.

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed that. I almost bought that same bag. It was the thought of being in a situation where I needed to do an emergency ascent, and step one being disconnect my inflator hose that didn't make sense to me.

iflyprops,

Regarding the SMB, I've looked at the Abyss website and I am not clear on how the SMB is inflated. Is it bottom inflated with your reg? Is there a flap to prevent air leakage?

Thanks and cheers,
Bill.

Lightning Fish:
iflyprops,

Regarding the SMB, I've looked at the Abyss website and I am not clear on how the SMB is inflated. Is it bottom inflated with your reg? Is there a flap to prevent air leakage?

Thanks and cheers,
Bill.
Yeah...I'm kind of wondering that myself.... I doubt it is filled from the bottom as it must be sealed as it has an OPV. I think its oral, but I'm not sure...l did my homework on everything but the smb...ooops!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom