Reel and SMB

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it's like the OMS SMB, which it appears to be, you get the best of both worlds. It fills from underneath using your 2nd stage, but the air gets sealed in by a one way valve and won't deflate without pulling the dump.

You'll actually get a laugh about thinking it was orally filled when it arrives. They're a lot bigger up close.

I bought a 5' OMS SMB and I like it over my little safety sausage because I can inflate it at depth. Unlike my compact safety sausage, however, I can't seem to find a convenient place to put the thing on my BC. I am still a recreational diver so I have a standard jacket style BC. But even when I soon upgrade to a BP/wing combo I don't know where would be a practical place to store the smb on myself. It doesn't have any hooks or clips and it really doesn't wrap up that tightly for that matter. Any advice on how to store this useful item would be helped so I can bring it underwater and get it out of my closet. Thanks!

Marcos:
I bought a 5' OMS SMB and I like it over my little safety sausage because I can inflate it at depth. Unlike my compact safety sausage, however, I can't seem to find a convenient place to put the thing on my BC. I am still a recreational diver so I have a standard jacket style BC. But even when I soon upgrade to a BP/wing combo I don't know where would be a practical place to store the smb on myself. It doesn't have any hooks or clips and it really doesn't wrap up that tightly for that matter. Any advice on how to store this useful item would be helped so I can bring it underwater and get it out of my closet. Thanks!
If you use the Halcyon MC system as your BP/Wing there is a pocket between the backplate and the pad to store your SMB.

http://www.halcyon.net/images/mc_system04/Eclipse_liftdeploy02.jpg

James

My lady has the Halcyon setup, and hers fits nicely in the MC pocket. If you get a standard BP, you can roll it up in a tube, and bungie it to the bottom of the plate.

BTW- If you decide to stow your SMB in the Halcyon pocket, make sure you are flexible enough to get it out at depth without having to remove the harness.

Scott

I have a Zeagle Escape. I will probobly put the stuff in my pockets if they fit, otherwise I'll clip 'em off somewhere...although I am running out of "d" rings....:lol3: hehehe

iflyprops:
I have a Zeagle Escape. I will probobly put the stuff in my pockets if they fit, otherwise I'll clip 'em off somewhere...although I am running out of "d" rings....:lol3: hehehe
I have a ap valves dsmb from the UK it has a cone on the inside to help control the escaping air issue but also I have a regular surface marker bouy a big yellow one I don't know the manufacurer but it has diver down written on it, its the second one! I blew up the first they are not very sturdy of you use a air pump and walk off to do a breifing :wink:

I see the nifty pocket on the Halcyon BP/Wing setup, but right now I'm leaning towards a Dive Rite setup which doesn't appear to have a pocket for SMB storage. Any advice for attaching my SMB to a typical Dive Rite BP/Wing combo?

Marcos-
As ScottyK stated, if you don't use Halcyon's MC system, you can use bungee to create 2 loops using the bottom holes on your bp. You then put your rolled up smb in the loops.

Back
Top Bottom