Reel from a meter tape

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
you know those meter tapes that you can buy from hardware stores? the ones u use to measure windows or other things.. and then as you let them go they zoom back into the reel they were coiled into? well i am planning to open that thingy up and remove the meter rule part, place a large reel around the first one and place some reel line and let it coil back. a 5 meter tape with a much larger reel would get me (i didnt do the math yet ) around more than 15-20 meters. as i make the second reel bigger.. the line will get longer..
of course there is a stopper on the meter rule that i expect to try to use..

anyone tried that? any suggestions?

diver371:
you know those meter tapes that you can buy from hardware stores? the ones u use to measure windows or other things.. and then as you let them go they zoom back into the reel they were coiled into? well i am planning to open that thingy up and remove the meter rule part, place a large reel around the first one and place some reel line and let it coil back. a 5 meter tape with a much larger reel would get me (i didnt do the math yet ) around more than 15-20 meters. as i make the second reel bigger.. the line will get longer..
of course there is a stopper on the meter rule that i expect to try to use..

anyone tried that? any suggestions?

Diver371,

If what you are describing is a "measuring tape" or self retracting rule I'd guess your going to have two major problems.

These tapes use a steel "clock" spring that you "wind" as you pull out the tape. Steel + salt water = grief.

Second problem is the lenght of retraction. The spring only winds so far, so even if the steel spring didn't rust you's still have only 5 meters of retraction.

Regards,

Tobin

Tobin,

i plan to make a bigger reel that will be placed around the coil inside. the coil inside moves a certain amount of revolutions.. hence increasing the circumference will only create more line going around it.

for the salt part.. i would rinse it as soon as i got on the boat.. and try to spray some rustproof material before immersing in water

cool_hardware52:
Diver371,

If what you are describing is a "measuring tape" or self retracting rule I'd guess your going to have two major problems.

These tapes use a steel "clock" spring that you "wind" as you pull out the tape. Steel + salt water = grief.

Second problem is the lenght of retraction. The spring only winds so far, so even if the steel spring didn't rust you's still have only 5 meters of retraction.

Regards,

Tobin

diver371:
for the salt part.. i would rinse it as soon as i got on the boat.. and try to spray some rustproof material before immersing in water

I tried it once with my SS knife (not dive knife). It still rust. Hope you have better luck.

Benny

I have been trying to come up with a cheap way for a retracting line (for my dive flag) but i haven't come up with anything yet, it sounds like we are looking for the same thing. Anyone else have any bright ideas??

chris hecker:
I have been trying to come up with a cheap way for a retracting line (for my dive flag) but i haven't come up with anything yet, it sounds like we are looking for the same thing. Anyone else have any bright ideas??

i just saw another thing... a kid's toy that has around 1 foot rectracted.. just make the radius of the wheel itself bigger and it should work and that is easier than measuring tape since i believe the inside is plastic..
i asked a physics teacher of mine.. he said "just buy the darned thing!"*smack on my head*.. but it should work..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom