Reel questions, OMS smart reel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

400ft is more like a mini expedition :D Up here 400ft has remained a bit of a defacto standard (shooting deep bags if you really have to but most people use a 150ft spool, or sweeping searches for wrecks from the shot line etc) in part because the smaller 200ft version is hard to hold with dry gloves.

I like 800ft reels for exploration. I have a 1200ft reel but it's big, it's heavy, if I screw the pooch with it (easier than you realize with dry gloves) then I have no alternative. 2 or 3x 800ft reels are often a better choice.
Showing up with a 400ft reel for exploration is a great way to get clowned on. 400ft reels are for shooting bags from deep or MAYBE scouting for new caves.

800s or 1200s are the standard for exploration.

@rjack321 the 400ft reel physical size wise is perfect, but they are usually called out as the length of line they hold with #24. They drop to just over half capacity with #36.
I have big exploration reels as well, just don't take them with me on "tourist" cave dives or in the ocean because my Dive Rite primary reel *400ft of #24*, that has about 250ft of #36 on it is more the adequate

Showing up with a 400ft reel for exploration is a great way to get clowned on. 400ft reels are for shooting bags from deep or MAYBE scouting for new caves.

800s or 1200s are the standard for exploration.
I have 2x 400ft reels, 2x 800ft and 1x 1200ft. I have used the 1200ft mostly for re-lining our bigger caves.
One of the 400s is usually brought along on most dives for backup.

@rjack321 the 400ft reel physical size wise is perfect, but they are usually called out as the length of line they hold with #24. They drop to just over half capacity with #36.
I have big exploration reels as well, just don't take them with me on "tourist" cave dives or in the ocean because my Dive Rite primary reel *400ft of #24*, that has about 250ft of #36 on it is more the adequate

Interesting... why did you go for #36? Most people I know that are replacing line, go from #24 to #18, to have the same length (or more), but have the reel less packed. Leaving a bit of space to the edge makes it easier to reel it back in without having to be ultra careful to balance sides and risking a jam or line slipping off once you get near the end.

Guys, I get all that, but where I am at (no cave or cavern anything yet, just signed up for an adv. wreck class), I am quite sure I'd be clowned on if I showed up with an 800' or 1200' reel. Besides 400' was prescribed.
Since it's wrecks, real ones (subic bay), not sanitized ones, I'd think I favor #36 line, but I also do get the desire for either more line or more empty space on the reel with thinner line for caving. But I think I need to go for extra wear and cut resistance / margin, meaning thicker wreck line...
I may just try the reel I have (regular dive rite), although the instructor (unlike @tbone1004 ) thinks those reels are rats nest prone and favors the side winders... One way to find out... and then buy from a position of knowing what I want based at least on a little experience...

Edit /Addendum:
And I will stay away from that OMS reel...

@Schwob our point was that the real long reels are not useful for anyone but a small handful of people actually laying line. Those big reels are for paying line out, not taking it back in.

The Dive Rite primary reel is phenomenal. If you rats nest it, it's your fault, not the reels. Sidewinders are harder to rats nest, but damned near impossible to fix in the water if you do. Sidewinders are easy to pay out, that's why the exploration reels are almost all sidewinders, but they are really hard to reel back in properly because you can't control tension on the line with your hand. Reels don't rats nest if they don't go slack, and a sidewinder is much more prone to going slack than a normal reel.
If you have a standard red Dive Rite, just use it as is. If you decide you want stronger line, replace it with #36 if you can accept it only being 250ft, or dacron if you want to put stronger line on there that is thinner. I prefer the feel of #36 and find it easier to use. It is also less prone to rats nesting since it is thicker and is more forgiving. The thinner the line, the tighter the reel tolerances need to be to prevent rats nests.

as said above. Rats nesting occurs from bad technique. The tighter a reels machining tolerances are, the harder it is to rats nest from bad technique, but the harder it is to fix if it happens. The thinner the line, the easier it is to get past the machining tolerances.

My most epic rat's nests are with #18
My default is actually #21 now. About 20% more than #24 and a lot less squirrely

For beginner wreck diving #36 is better not because its that much more cut resistant, but because it so much less likely to tangle

Guys, I get all that, but where I am at (no cave or cavern anything yet, just signed up for an adv. wreck class), I am quite sure I'd be clowned on if I showed up with an 800' or 1200' reel. Besides 400' was prescribed.
You'd be correct.

If you have a standard red Dive Rite, just use it as is. If you decide you want stronger line, replace it with #36 if you can accept it only being 250ft, or dacron if you want to put stronger line on there that is thinner. I prefer the feel of #36 and find it easier to use. It is also less prone to rats nesting since it is thicker and is more forgiving. The thinner the line, the tighter the reel tolerances need to be to prevent rats nests.
That's the reel. I think I got it with the #36 line so (and 250' of it)... it comes both ways... it's been a while, I guess I should unwind and rewind it anyway to be sure all is good (and actually knowing what I have and how much line is on there might not hurt) either... maybe mark it somehow while at it...

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom