Reflections of our trip to Roatan, Honduras - June 2011 pt 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

toddthecat

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hello all! I'd like to reflect upon my journey to Roatan, Honduras as a vacation/fact finding tour as part of our dive shop's services to promote and organize trips. I have now traveled so far to Grenada, West Indies about 6 times, Puerto Rico, and Bocas del Toro, Panama. I like to mention where I've been because I'd like those reading this to know I do have experience in different places in the world.

Arrival: Three of us arrived around 1pm. Our itinerary was Albuquerque, NM to Houston, TX, to Roatan. Flights were smooth. A few months before flying out Continental changed the flights from a one day trip to two. They put us up with vouchers in Houston at a very nice Holiday Inn.

Be aware that the airport in Roatan is an instant mess. Going through customs is a breeze but then everyone must get their luggage off the carousel and place it on a single giant xray machine that no airport staff is actually looking at. It backs up into a giant pile of luggage on the other end and it's a race to get your bags and get away from it. All the while, it's in a tiny room with a 3/4 compliment of a Boeing 737...

Once out we went to the Avis desk and rented a vehicle. We were given a diesel Mitsubishi truck, 4 door, 4 wheel drive. Leaving the airport is a nightmare. There are 4 lines of vehicles that all siphon into ONE exit. It took 15 minutes just to get out and the exit was only a few hundred feet away. Worse yet, at the exit they demand something like 25 Lempira (something like $1.10). Be prepared.

Getting around: Having a rental vehicle I never used a taxi. There are many taxis on the West End area but very few on the East End. One of the most odd things I found is that unlike every other country I have visited, there is a serious lack of public transportation for locals. A couple of buses drive around, but not nearly in the magnitude of other places. I stopped for a LOT of people hitchhiking on the side of the road. That's how most locals get around, I didn't mind doing it, and they were appreciative. Be aware that there are many ex-pats living here so locals may think you are local as well. I once came to a stop somewhere and found a local guy in the back of my truck out of nowhere. Just keep going and stop when they bang on the roof :D

The main road is paved, the majority of all other roads are not. They are also not well maintained and are a huge pain. I never found the need to use the 4WD but the truck had NO suspension. The other amazing thing I have never seen is such an incredible number of speed bumps. Even on horrible roads where a person running on foot could beat you to your destination because you are going so slow to try to avoid a herniated disc in your spine. They LOVE speed bumps here and at times you can find them every 30 to 50 feet. Take aspirin or your preferred prescription painkiller, you'll need it.

Take note that while the speed bump is adored here, signage is not. Finding most things can be difficult to impossible most times. If you speak no Spanish be sure to learn the phrase 'Donde esta....' which means 'where is....'. You will use it a lot if you are driving around yourself. Large resorts are marked when you get to them but there are no indicators along the way to ANYthing.

West End: I'm bound to get criticism for this but I only went to West End really once. It is the most built up location on the island. It is a mostly one lane, unpaved road along the shore with many little stores and stuff like that. There is an abundance of dive shops, maybe 6 in the about 1/2 to 3/4 mile stretch. I prefer little local places that reflect the culture so I didn't spend a ton of time there. In addition, the water crashing up onto shore is a murky, almost black color. I wouldn't get into it because the way it looked.

Accomodations: We stayed at Turquoise Bay Resort. See your separate review of it Here. Long story short, we don't recommend it.

We visited Fantasy Island to utilize their dive shop. It was a really cool looking place. Their dive shop was incredible. I mean, this was the Wal-Mart of diving. Operating a dive shop and having been to many in the past, my jaw is still bruised from when it hit the floor at the size of this operation. Several compressors, 9 boats, over 350 tanks. It...was...incredible.

We had heard about going over to CocoView and decided to visit it one day. To get there you must take the first right immediately after you find Fantasy Island when traveling east. There is NO SIGNAGE to indicate this location. Worse yet, it leads to what appears to be some sort of warehouse/mining operation or something. The last thing you expect to be there is a water taxi. I went down there and started asking in Spanish one of the guys about Cocoview. He told me he spoke English and to speak to him in English only. That was enough of a turnoff I wasn't going to bother going to see this place.

Culture: Really, there is a huge lack of culture here. I mean, it's nonexistent. This island is so Americanized it's almost sickening. Everywhere else I have been you find cars and buses blaring local music, people with grills making chicken on the side of the road where you can stop anywhere if you are hungry and want to get amazing food, vendors that cruise around selling local trinkets and stuff. That is the kind of thing I love and that is in full abundance everywhere I've been but here. It's quiet, no one plays music, when you hear music it's from the U.S., sometimes some Reggaeton but nothing locally made, no roadside vendors, nothing. There is even an Applebee's. I had no idea that franchise existed outside of the U.S....

I enjoy practicing Spanish when I go to Spanish speaking countries and I try to use it exclusively. I was surprised when everyone replies back to you in English. More locals speak English to each other than I expected as well.

Hole in the Wall in Jonesville: I heard great reviews about this place before going. Once again, there is no signage to get there. The only way we found it was the fact we found the water taxi dropping people off. If not for that I don't think I would have found it. Go into Jonesville and take the last right. After a minute you'll find a shipyard looking place. Look to your left around the water and hope to find the water taxi.

We took the taxi over with three Canadian women who had asked us as we parked if they were in the right spot. We said we thought we were but weren't sure. Come to find out they had lived here for a few months and THEY didn't even know where it was.

The boat ride takes just a few minutes. We were greeted by a bearded man wearing a semi-tattered short sleeved button up shirt. He appeared as though he had been shipwrecked somewhere for a while. He greeted us with "Welcome to the Hole". I don't think he understands just how accurate that name is. The place has about 15 or 20 tables and a bar. His greeting was the extent of his help. We took a table near the bird in the back but there is no service. Maybe I offended them because the first thing I did was take the scarlet macaw on my arm and play with it (I own two large macaws and 8 smaller ones at home, I'm very familiar with them). This happened much to the surprise of everyone in the room and it was quite entertaining, I think I even heard someone drop a fork... :D

While waiting for non-existent service another man came out from the back to bus a table that two people had left from. This man was fascinating. He is the full embodiment of what you would expect from someone who has been shipwrecked somewhere for 30 years. Far more than the man who greeted us. He was unkempt and didn't appear as though he was capable of speaking any language at all after not having anyone to talk to for so long. He came out in a hunchback way and began picking up napkins. He took the lightly used napkin an attractive American girl in her 20s had been using, looked around, and snuck it into his pocket. That was about it for me. Immediately thereafter one of the people in our party returned from the bar to inform us that there was a 'waiting list' 15 people long in front of us. Back to the water taxi....

I have no idea what people see in this place but I would only trick people I don't like into going there.

The Asylum at Camp Bay run by Serena: This is BY FAR the BEST place on the entire island to go for food and drink. It is a beautiful little building over the water run by one of the most friendly people I've ever met, Serena (a local who has lived here her entire life) and her husband Jimmy, a Colombian-American guy who was really cool.

Serena offers DELICIOUS lobster tails done up in garlic and they are fresh within the past few hours. She also offers whatever fish she gets from fisherman on any given day. She can COOK! She also knows how to pour a real drink unlike anywhere else on the island. Her rum punch is delicious and when asked for one she actually went and obtained a fresh pineapple from her yard to use in making it.

She also has a small turtle refuge right there where she takes care of sea turtles that have been injured by local poachers. When asked if we could touch them she immediately jumped into the water and grabbed one for us to play with. She couldn't have been more accommodating and was certainly the coolest person we met on the trip.

The Asylum is the ONLY place on the island where there are some signs indicating where it is, but they are small and you happen to see them by chance. The Asylum is in Camp Bay, about 30 mins from the main road. The road is in extremely poor condition and I won't lie, it's hell getting there and back. But it is definitely worth going, even if you go just once.

McNabb in Jonesville: This place is close to Hole in the Wall which is where we decided to eat after discovering the three old salts there. The food is so salty I felt like a slug, slowly dehydrating to death BUT it is worth going there for the monkey. I'm not talking about eating monkey but their actual pet monkey on a little leash. It's a little year and a half old brown spider monkey that is really friendly. It'll give little love bites but wont hurt you. Loves to climb all over and be swung around. I never liked monkeys but after messing with one they're pretty cool now. They also have an Amazon parrot which is pretty nice, and for some reason, an enclosure with three crocodiles and a few turtles. The monkey was so cool we actually went back a second time just to see it. The house next door also has a monkey on their dock as well as several macaws in their trees. Very cool stuff and a friendly couple who talked to us about their pet birds.

Jenny's Lusty Lizard (heading west past or before the airport, I think past, don't quite remember): Really cool place! It is run by Jenny, a friendly local who has a bar and small restaurant. She gives everyone who shows up a magic marker to write on the wall. The walls are covered with all sorts of names, sayings, and all of that. Grouper was delicious, beer was cold, atmosphere was friendly. We definitely suggest it!

Gio's in French Harbor: This place was sort of mediocre. Staff was nice and service was good but the food was...well...meh. Not bad, not great, but average. Seating outside on the patio above the water was nice and provided a nice view. It was also conveniently setup to provide a nice, comfortable breeze. I have no particular complaints. If you are driving a rental car be aware that parking in front of Gio's is able to take about 5 vehicles. When we were there a taxi was sideways taking up two spaces. We parked across the street in an abandoned lot next to a church. Don't hesitate to park wherever you want! French Harbor is a one lane street. If you can cram a car somewhere, do it! To get to Gio's, take the turn into French Harbor at the gas station and main taxi stop. Continue down the road until you hit a point where it is right or left. Turn right, continue until the road begins to wrap back around to the right. This will give you the best opportunity to utilize parking at Gio's or the abandoned lot.

BJ's Backyard in Oak Ridge: A more easily found location, continue down the road at the turnoff at Oak Ridge. Again, ask people where it is. I happened to run into Serena from Camp Bay who was in the back seat of a truck. Just so happened we were right in front of the turn to the place. When we arrived it was around 330 or 4pm. It was occupied by about 15 to 20 ex-pats. Three were doing a little live show, one playing lead guitar, one playing rhythm, and another guy playing a variety of harmonica, tambourine, etc. The music played was, of course, very American. I really can't stand Sweet Home Alabama, regardless of who plays it. The woman who appeared to be running things, I suspect was BJ, was pretty far out there. I mean...wayyyy far out there. I've only met a few people that cooked from LSD in the 1960's...
After a while EVERYONE cleared out. Ex-pats here apparently travel in packs, talking about themselves and their 'life stories'. Thanks, but no thanks. The worst was when one woman who told me she lived here for 6 years and said this was the least Americanized place she has been after having been to most of the islands in the Caribbean.

(Sorry everyone, SB said my post was too long so I had to break it up :shakehead:)

Local car accident: This was an entertaining event that occurred I think I should mention because it reflects some of the local attitude about things. On the way to the West End we encountered two vehicles on the side of the road with three locals looking off into the bush. I thought nothing of it since I figured they were looking at an animal. Upon returning there was now a crowd of about 10 vehicles, a bus, and something to the tune of 30 to 40 people, all local, looking into the bush. At this point I HAD to stop to see what the commotion was about because SO many people were expressing interest. I walked up and looked around in the bush, trying to see whatever creature I thought they were viewing. Seeing nothing I, in Spanish, asked a local woman what was going on. She told me, in English of course :shakehead: very nonchalantly that a vehicle had gone of the road and that people were trapped inside.

Being an EMT and ex police officer, it was instinctual that I offer some sort of assistance, especially when just after that I heard screaming and discovered that only one person had gone down to help. I proceeded down a vertical drop holding on to tree roots to find a man halfway down hanging on asking for help and another going up the hill past me. I asked if anyone was hurt or needed help and he said the single occupant was fine and had just passed me on the way up. This man's vehicle had gone down a near vertical drop, by my estimate, easily 100 feet down. This was the most lucky person I have ever encountered in all my time as a public safety official.

Most amazing to me was the sheer number of people who did nothing. After I crossed the fence with another person in my party, only then did three or four people jump into action. In Grenada they would have already made a train of ants up the hill to assist.

More unusual was the ex-pat, mid 60s woman who appeared on scene who was so annoyingly pretentious it was disgusting. She mentioned her 'bodyguard' was helping with the effort. Shortly after she said she lived in West End and felt very safe. I don't know what her problem was. People who feel safe don't have bodyguards. Beyond that, lets get into safety:

Safety: Of all the places I have been I have never felt more safe in Roatan. Now, I LOVE going to little places in the middle of nowhere that no tourists ever go to. It's great and that's the best way to travel!!! I mean, I've made the best friends that way, eaten dinner at local houses and been treated so well by people, even been in bar fights with locals in some sketch places. That's my kind of travel. The REAL location and the REAL life, not some Americanized shroud that protects me from the reality of a place.

Oddly, I NEVER encountered a single problem or sketch situation. Even when I went to places where I expected such things to be. I found NO vendors, NO one trying to sell me drugs, NO one trying to get me to go some place on some tour just to attempt to rob me, NO one conspiring to make use of me in anyway. I commonly travel armed at the least with a small dive knife, in other places with a decent sized machete on my person. I traveled unarmed 100% of the time, day and night, and never felt concerned.

Police Roadblocks: Now I heard about these and they are true, but not nearly to the extent I expected. The general consensus appeared to be that the police would set up a few cones in the road and primarily stop rental vehicles to harass tourists. On the way to the hotel from the airport, this happened. The guy said, "Everything ok?", we said, "Yep", and that was it. In 12 days I encountered two more of these stops, both in the same place east of the entrance to French Harbor and they just let us go right through. I was told by locals they are primarily looking for seat belt violations and that's pretty much it. No hassle whatsoever. I've heard you should carry your US driver's license. I never did and they never asked.

Overall: While my review tends to swing toward the negative side of things, I cannot say that I did NOT enjoy the trip, however, this is certainly not a place on the top of my list to return to anytime soon. The Americanization of this place is just too much and will certainly not stop or revert back to what it may have been in the future. It's a sad thing to see, but unfortunately it is what it is. That said, Puerto Rico has more of its own culture and is conveniently Americanized for all of the people who are into that. I simply prefer to go to places where I can enrich myself with the culture. So far, I am finding that is best found in the southeastern Caribbean islands. It was worth it to try Roatan, but just too assimilated for me.

If you study the history of the island you will find that most locals don't really care for spanish speakers .

RoatanMan can give more details if you want.

I am truely surprised that you did not once mention the diving? You go somewhere to check out the place for a dive shop and don't dive?? Just curious.

I haven't been to Coxen Hole but you don't mention it in your "report". Though I haven't been there I am pretty sure it is more developed than West End. I will defer to people more familiar with the Island than I am. Honduras is a very poor country. Not sure what kind of development may have been expecting.

Did you look around the north side of the Island? Did you try checking out Anthony's Key, one of the great dive resorts located on the Island?

I found West End to be a very friendly place, not sure what you encountered but there are quite a few places to eat there, we had a couple of good meals at very reasonable prices there. I enjoyed my visit to West End.

Had you checked here on this board, you would not have been surprised to find out the roads are terrible. Especially as you get further east.

Of the people I know that have been to Roatan did so because the Cruise Ships stop there or because they went there to dive. Most go there to dive. There is some awesome diving to be done there. Did you try that?

I have only visited the Island once, I didn't have the same experience as you. I would gladly go back anytime and hope to return again soon.

Good luck and safe travels.

Roatan, Utila, and Guanaja were formerly controlled by England prior to them being turned over to Honduras. That accounts for the large number of people on the island that consider English to be their first language. Yes, the governmental language of the country is Spanish and you'll find that most English-speaking islanders also speak Spanish. You will also find many families that have moved to the island from the mainland who only speak Spanish.

You've commented on your experiences with the airport, the lack of signage, and the lack of public transport among other things. Many people do not realize that Honduras is the second poorest country in the region after Haiti. That's pretty poor! What's even more amazing is the amount of improvements, yes improvements, that have taken place over the past eight or so years that I have traveled to Roatan. It's amazing that there is even an international airport on the island. That was definitely forward thinking on someone's part

As far as signage for restaurants, well, yeah, some places are hard to find. That's part of the fun, from my perspective. There are scads of good restaurants on the island. West Bay and West End have plenty. You can find local food as well as Thai, Italian, Sushi, Indian, Steak & Seafood and others.

What about the diving? I don't see anything in your report about it.

I have been to Roatan many times and my experiences have all been positive. Yes, the island has its share of problems. It is far from perfect. You mentioned you have been to Puerto Rico (a US island), Grenada (an island nation) and Bocas del Toro (part of a country with a highly-developed capital city). None of those are on the same playing field as Honduras.

I hope you have the opportunity to return to Roatan. There's a lot of beauty there both above and below sea level.

jsl

If you study the history of the island you will find that most locals don't really care for spanish speakers .

RoatanMan can give more details if you want.

I have been reading the OP since it first appeared. I wasn't sure if I would reply, because- after all- everyone is entitled to their own good observations- and ToddTheCat is a good writer and expresses himself well.

Roatan, just as is anyplace, either meets your needs or it does not. I certainly agree with one of the main points- island culture isn't all that available or interesting in the Bay Islands. For that, I agree again- the Windward Antilles would be the place to go, if that's what you were looking for.

I go to dive. Roatan works for that.

Although TTC's posts tells us that this was a 12 day investigative trip, taken to research Roatan before his LDS offering, I see that this very exact trip was previously being offered on his website :idk: Further confusion over his choice of resorts- Subway runs a nice operation- likely the single best DM on the island is working there for Subway- but Turquoise Bay (TB) has never ever yet been regarded as a dive resort. It has always come off as a resort with some diving, and the resort part- well, most of the comments have paralleled those of TTC.

Previous posts you will find on ScubaBoard (at least those from experienced residents or frequent Roatan travelers) will tell you that you absolutely took your ass in your hands by driving your own vehicle. If that uninvited pickup truck rider had hurt himself- even by his own uninvited acts- he would have owned you for life. I'm happy that another Gringo squeaked through the cash machine they operate down in paradise- but most of us strongly advise hiring an English speaking driver. Not only can you drink beer furiously, but there is no liability incurred by your mere presence.

A lot of ToddTheCat's discoveries mentioned were well pre-publicized on SCUBABoard. I am glad that you got a chance to dive with Fantasy Island- they do indeed have a great dive operation, but the reference to a "dive shop" might be a misnomer. You mentioned that you couldn't see the sign for CoCoView- I'm not sure how you missed it. You drove past what is one of the most highly regarded dive resort operations anywhere in the Caribbean.

I think you got a real dose of island culture during that accident scene, and also during your trip to Hole in the Wall. We (the frequent posters at SCUBABoard) warned you pretty vigorously that you wouldn't like the stuff that you now say that you didn't like.

There are many places to go diving, but if we limit ourselves to discussions of the Caribbean, there are many better places out there to get an island vibe than the Bay Islands. Diving? In that same Caribbean geographical zone, I don't think you could have done any better than what you were exposed to from the area served by Fantasy Island. There are 2 other real-deal dive ops that are along the South side that you missed.

I go traveling only to dive, thus I've never been in any bar fights, so wtfdik?

Last edited:
English v. Spanish in the Bay Islands

Very touchy topic. A brief history lesson, in a word: P-I-R-A-T-E-S. The Bay Islands were under the British flag for most of their colonial history. It was England against Spain, and England utilized privateers to harass the Spanish Main. A trip along the Honduran coast will yield several colonial era Spanish forts (Omoa and Trujillo are principal among them) these were used to protect the Spanish from the English. The English would commonly leave from bases on caribbean islands such as the Lesser Antillies, Jamaica, and in the west, the Bay Islands.
Utila, Roatan, Guanaja and the smaller cays were the English pirates' domain, and when Honduras rebelled against Spain and became an independent nation in 1821, England continued to hold the Bay Islands. Because of how the islands were colonized by England, it was England that had the greatest influence upon their history. The colonial inhabitants were not Catholic, but raised in the Church Of England, they spoke English at home, in church and elsewhere as it was their official language. It was not until the 1860s that England lowered its flag for good and allowed Honduras to claim sovereignty over the islands.
The Bay Islands were largely ignored by Honduras for the next 75 years. And when Honduras began to assert its authority over the islands there was some resistance. First of all, Spanish began to be taught in the government provided schools, but the people still went to church in English and used English as their everyday tongue. So Spanish is seen as a language imposed upon the people, not one they willingly speak. Additionally, when Honduras had mandatory conscription, the military would arrive on the islands and search for young men to be conscripted, again not really an endearing experience for the islanders. I know because I worked with many islanders on the mainland twenty-some years ago. Resentful would be a good word to describe their views of the Spanish (which is what they still called the Honduran mainlanders). An islander will generally not wish to speak Spanish with anyone, so don't be offended. It's their history.
It has only been very recently (due to a change in the law that allows foreigners to own land nearby the sea and borders) that tourism has exploded, and the arrival of American tourism/ex-pats that the islands have lost their uniqueness.

Great post there USdiver1

I had the same experience as the OP in 2000, using Spanish and finding it wasn't appreciated. The story I got was.....The islanders weren't to impressed that the word was out on the mainland that there was money to be made on the islands and "the Spanish" were coming over and undercutting the locals when it came to labour rates. Suits me fine, my Spanish sucks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom