Refresher Requirement at Sunset House?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marek K

Contributor
Reaction score
Our family are going for a week of diving at Sunset House this summer. For a variety of reasons, we haven't been diving in three years.

Sunset House requires a "refresher" or "refresher course" for people that haven't been diving in two years or more. They offer a refresher for $100 per person, or it can be done at home with a local dive shop. An LDS here charges $75 pp for a refresher course, theory and pool. Lots of money in either case, multiplied by four.

I think in general it's a very good idea for rusty divers to refresh their skills before getting on a reef, but this is the first time I've seen this kind of requirement other than an initial check-out dive.

I've asked Sunset House what exactly the requirements are for such a refresher; all I've been able to get is a vague response that the LDS would have to stamp a logbook entry.

Prior to diving each year, we've always reviewed in detail the OW book cover-to-cover, to include tables; we're doing that now too with the teenagers. My wife and I have also reviewed our Nitrox book and worked through all the exercises. We've also always done a long pool session to make sure the equipment is still good and we know how to use it; and to refresh our skills, bouyancy, and trim.

An LDS will let us do a pool session this weekend (without an instructor) for $35 pp, and is willing to stamp a logbook entry -- I'm sure with any information we want to enter there.

We intend to write in exactly what we will have done -- each of the skills, buoyancy, trim, etc.

Should that be enough, with the stamp? Anyone have any experience with Sunset House regarding what they require, and how particular they are about it?

I've never run into that issue at Sunset House, but it's never been that long between dives for me.

A refresher is probably a really good idea since you havent dove in a while. If youre concerned about SH accepting the pool dive stamp, you could always dive somewhere like Eden Rock first. It's just down the road, and it's a pretty shallow, easy dive.

A refresher is probably a really good idea since you havent dove in a while.

I agree completely. As a family who are conscientious and take responsibility for their diving, though, I think we can do as good or better a job ourselves, compared with having to sit through a quickie $75 pp refresher.

If youre concerned about SH accepting the pool dive stamp, you could always dive somewhere like Eden Rock first. It's just down the road, and it's a pretty shallow, easy dive.

You know, that's a great idea I hadn't thought of, if Sunset House give us a problem. We will have a rental car. Downside is we'd have to get ourselves and equipment over there after our ~2:00 PM arrival. Any idea what the requirements are for the Eden Rock Diving Center, other than the usual waivers?

Of course, I'd also considered (ugh!) logging our pool dive as a logged dive. :D I'd hate doing that, though there are a lot of "natural" dives that are less than 16 ft for 1-1/2 hours.

I agree completely. As a family who are conscientious and take responsibility for their diving, though, I think we can do as good or better a job ourselves, compared with having to sit through a quickie $75 pp refresher.

You know, that's a great idea I hadn't thought of, if Sunset House give us a problem. We will have a rental car. Downside is we'd have to get ourselves and equipment over there after our ~2:00 PM arrival. Any idea what the requirements are for the Eden Rock Diving Center, other than the usual waivers?

Of course, I'd also considered (ugh!) logging our pool dive as a logged dive. :D I'd hate doing that, though there are a lot of "natural" dives that are less than 16 ft for 1-1/2 hours.

I don't recall any special requirements for Eden Rock. I think you plan to exit the water after they close you either have to get the tanks back them by 8 am the next morning, or rent a locker to store them in or they charge you for an extra day rental.

I'm not one to advocate logging a pool dive to circumvent requirements, but it IS a dive...

I have some other info that I'll send you via PM.

Well, it could be a dive.

Sometimes you gotta fight technicalities with technicalities... :D

I've e-mailed Eden Rock to find out what they'd need... I assume C-card, waiver, and medical statement?

They need c-cards, but if you're a PADI diver they can pull that up on their website (they did that for me once when I didn't have it with me) and waiver. They never asked for medical statement. Doubt they would unless you indicate some sort of medical conditions necessitating it.

As I read your post, I was thinking Eden Rock too. Great suggestion. We just got back from GC last weekend, and we dove Eden Rock right after our plane landed @ noon and was in the water by 1:45 PM (after getting our rental car).

Eden Rock is the sweetest dive you'll do right after flying in. Had over an hour BT, lots of fish, caverns, etc.

I think he did ask when I dove last (month ago), but he might do a guided dive with you all. Let us know what eden rock says.

I think he did ask when I dove last (month ago), but he might do a guided dive with you all.

I certainly don't mind them asking, as an indicator of knowing what kind of divers they're dealing with; I just object to blanket requirements to do expensive courses as a result.

The pool refresher session we're going to do should satisfy them.

I checked Eden Rock's web site. They do guided dives, but they're $65 per person (including equipment, which we don't need except for tanks and weights). Times four divers, that's an awful lot for a single guided dive.

Whatever happened to check-out dives with a DM, at a reasonable cost?

Go to a local dive spot before you go. Rawlings, Mt Storm, etc.

Well, we're woosie warm-water divers. OK, I've got my 5mm hooded full suit and gloves, but the other family members only have 3mm or 3/2 suits.

Eden Rock e-mailed me back, and said that as long as our pool session refresher is signed off by an instructor or DM, that would work. Trouble is, while we'll get an LDS stamp after the pool session, the logbooks won't be signed by either.

Oh, the LDS tells me a refresher course with them -- even just pool checks signed off by an instructor -- would be $100 per person. That's a no-go for the four of us.

Looks like I may need to log this pool session as a for-real dive... Yes, I'm aware of the logged dives thread, and agree with everyone in general -- I have never logged a pool dive in my life, but there's a good reason to do it this time. Besides, it's going to be very structured and goal-oriented.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom