Refurbished MK2i for $990 or Teric for $1150?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rye_a

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Given the option would you buy a factory refurbished Garmin Descent MK2i with warranty for $990 total or a Teric for $1,050?

Is anyone diving with a refurbished Garmin Descent MK2i? If so, have you had any issues with it?

Thanks!
I have not used a refurbished Dive Computer, but I have used several refurbished products before and would not hesitate to recommend buying a refurbished product.

In general, a refurbished item tends (but is not always) an item which has been sold and then later returned. It then goes back to the factory or repair center and is checked out thoroughly to ensure that every aspect of it meets spec. This inspection is typically much more intense than a random unit would get coming off the "assembly line". If anything, I would say that a "typical refurbished" item would probably be at least as reliable if not more reliable than a comparable new item. Among the refurbished items that I have bought are:
  • a DSLR
  • a couple lenses
  • an iMac desktop computer
  • an iPad and
  • a MacBook Air

If you consider Certified Pre-Owned cars as refurbished (since they also go through an exhaustive check out to ensure that they meet "factory spec" and come with a full warranty that often is better than the new car warranty), then you could also add a Porsche Boxster, an Audi A4 and a Volvo S60 to the list

I have never had any issues with any of those except the A4 which eventually had problems assocociated with a high mileage car, however, as noted, I have never bought a refurbished dive computer of any brand.

I know that was a little off topic, but I hope it answered the question about whether refurbished items in general are reliable.

Given the option would you buy a factory refurbished Garmin Descent MK2i with warranty for $990 total or a Teric for $1,050?
Hmm. Good question.

Both are very capable. Each has a few pros and cons.

Garmin has advantage of GPS, Smart, and Activity features.

Teric is probably a bit easier to use out of the box, but may only be a slight advantage. If you wear the Garmin every day, the UI will become second nature quickly.

I’m not a big fan of the Garmin T1, as it switches transmit protocols above and below. Plus, there have been issues with T1 battery life, though that may be a wash as there have also been issues with Teric battery life.

I guess it comes down to a couple things. Factor in the cost of the transmitter, and also ask yourself if you will wear it every day or just for diving.

Personally, I would go for the Mk2i. But they each have their advantages.
  • Garmin has GPS
  • Garmin T1 transmitter has 10m(33ft) range (other transmitter's range ~3ft)
  • Garmin is a superior every day watch and sports activity tracker on the surface
  • Garmin has the easiest screen to read on the surface in sunlight

• Teric has the easiest screen (of any dive computer I've seen) to read under water, especially for old eyes
  • Teric has an overall better dive user interface
  • Teric can work with the industry standard transmitter (but the all are limited to ~3 ft)
For me, the everyday watch features won out over the easy on old eyes.

Will you be looking to get a transmitter? If so you have a better chance of finding the type for the Teric at a better price by looking for a used one, if you plan on a new transmitter I would be very tempted to go Garmin

Back
Top Bottom