Reg failure at 90 ft

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GotAir

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was diving last weekend at 115 ft no problems breathing then on my ascent at about 90 ft my reg started to get hard to breath out of. I promise i wasnt overbresthing either. it got harder and harder to take a breath then it just quit me altogether. no prob's tho I just buddy breathed to the surface. here's some details, it was a rental reg, divemaster noticed I had the swicth on the low setting, and to top it off it worked just fine once I got on the boat ? I would like some feedback on this if you could be so kind. Mike :confused:

I'll bet ya it would help a whole lot to know what brand of Reg, did you have an Octo? What was the SPG doing????

DeepScuba once bubbled...
I'll bet ya it would help a whole lot to know what brand of Reg, did you have an Octo? What was the SPG doing????

I second this point........Why did you not use YOUR OCTO? If you did not have one......Why did you not have an alternate air sourse?

I have to agree with 5615mike. I have a 30ft^3 pony and rarely am without it under the surface. You just cant place a value on having a redundant air source.

My advice to you: Buy your own reg. I doubt very much that it was anything in the cylinder that plugged the valve up.

I will never use rental gear...

I agree with the sentiments above:

Diving to 115 feet with a rental??? Either the regulator had crud in it that came from a dirty tank or the reg had a primary malfunction OR you were getting low on air and did not notice it; perhaps your SPG was rental too and did not give accurate readings.

If you dove without an extra second stage, you took a big chance.

Saftey is a state of mind. Have to make a conscious effort to be safe diving.

Back
Top Bottom