Reg not purging

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Melissa_L

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

Recently I noticed my reg would not purge like normal when I pushed the button (in or out of the water). It still breathes great, and the octo purges and breathes normally. I'm planning to take it into my LDS this week, but in the mean time I was wondering if any of you might have some insight into what might cause this. It's an Apeks Flight, with about 50 dives on it. This will be its first time to the shop, as it is less than a year old.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

I'm not familiar with that 2nd stage, but what immediately comes to mind is the demand lever is too low.

The question (if a too-low demand lever is the actual problem) would be why this adjustment changed?

For sure it needs to be checked out before diving it.

Let us know what the dive shop technician says.

Best wishes.

Here is a peek at the inside: Apeks Technical

Does the cover move when you press it? Has it ever purged correctly? It sure looks like that cover has to move if you press hard enough and the reg has to purge if the cover moves far enough. And, since the reg is breathing well, the cover should not need to move too far. Let us know what your LDS says.

I like how they describe, in the apeks literature, how this reg has the innovative feature in which IP raises with increased depth. The thing they left out is that every single two-stage scuba regulator in the world does that or else it wouldn't work.

The 2nd stage sure looks like a barrel poppet design, which means the lever height is set by the orifice adjustment, so if the lever was so low that the purge wasn't working, it would breathe like molasses through a straw.

I like how they describe, in the apeks literature, how this reg has the innovative feature in which IP raises with increased depth. The thing they left out is that every single two-stage scuba regulator in the world does that or else it wouldn't work.

Apeks regs are "overbalanced" i.e. the intermediate pressure (Pressure above ambient) increases with depth. e.g. a reg might have an IP of 140 psi above ambient on the surface but at 150 feet the IP might be 150 psi above ambient. (I'm making the numbers up but you get the idea)

This is supposed to make them easier to breathe at depth. (And freeflow when stupid deep)

To take off the diaphragm cover press at about five and eleven o çlock the front cover ring and turn it counter clock wise from twelve to ten o'clock. Remove the purge clamp ring from the front cover assambly. Then inspect the backside of the front cover. The metal legs of the decal have to be pressed down firmly in the assambly. Check that the rubber purge nipples are well in place over the whole assambly. Any misalignment might cause problems to press the purge assambly properly.
With your finger you can tipp on the diaphragm to see if there is too much play (there should be hardly any play) between the diaphragm and the lever.
Since you mentioned that the reg is breathing normal, the problem should not be any restriction of the lever movement caused by dirt or stuff in the 2nd stage mechanism.
When your LDS is checking the problem, ask them also to adjust the cracking effort of your 2nd stage softer.
Usually the 2nds of AL and SP are very conservatively adjusted ( 1.4 - 1.5 inch/water) from the manufacturers, meaning they breath much harder then necessary.
I know some love to suck hard, thinking they could reduce by that their air consumtion, but first that's blunder and I think it's a shame when a quality primary second stages are breathing so much below their capicity.

Back
Top Bottom