Reg Purge Cover Askew

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Take the face plate off and get a good look at how everything works. You will see the critical importance of having that face plate on just right. :wink:

I used to have a second stage from a company that no longer exists, and you barely turned it to get it fully on. I was once engaged in an activity on a dive and my buddy suddenly pointed down to where the faceplate of my alternate was dropping into the abyss, far too deep for me to go after it.

What was I to do for the next dive? Like any real man, I got out some duct tape and made a new duct tape faceplate. I think it worked better than the original.

Take the face plate off and get a good look at how everything works. You will see the critical importance of having that face plate on just right. :wink:

I used to have a second stage from a company that no longer exists, and you barely turned it to get it fully on. I was once engaged in an activity on a dive and my buddy suddenly pointed down to where the faceplate of my alternate was dropping into the abyss, far too deep for me to go after it.

What was I to do for the next dive? Like any real man, I got out some duct tape and made a new duct tape faceplate. I think it worked better than the original.

The duct tape would probably outlast most of those cheesy soft covers made out of recycled walmart bags and plasticizer.

of course you have to stop sanding before you think the diaphragm is going to jump out

Ha haahha ha do do da ha ha hahaha my other favorite reg, we've been everywhere man

028.JPG

Gaffer is the go Joe just cleaned waiting for the strip of gaffer around the cover and body

I just love this stuff!

If the G260 came with a wide exhaust tee, I would switch.
Nailed it. I just bought two XTX second stages as I too like the wide exhaust but the three things that irritate me about them that I thought I could live with I've decided I cannot. Undived up for sale they will go. Back to the G260 or G250 I go.

I'll list them in the classified shortly, two brand new XTX50s if anyone is interested🤦‍♂️

Nailed it. I just bought two XTX second stages as I too like the wide exhaust but the three things that irritate me about them that I thought I could live with I've decided I cannot. Undived up for sale they will go. Back to the G260 or G250 I go.

I'll list them in the classified shortly, two brand new XTX50s if anyone is interested🤦‍♂️
What were the three things?

This is the only XTX I own, I think

055.JPG

It's wide exhaust ATX all the way

I just love this stuff!

I keep seeing people with the purge cover on their regs not quite screwed on all the way, so the purge button/logo is askew. Is this so they can disassemble underwater more easily, or is it for some other reason?

I see it mostly on XTX50s, which I don't think can be fully tightened without the purge button lining up. To be fair, mine is very tight and when I took the cover off (which was difficult with dry hands), I needed one of those neoprene jar opening grips to screw it back down to level. That's why I was wondering if it was just for ease of removal without tools.

Nailed it.

I have about a dozen XTX50's and all of them are very "askew" simple because I want them hand tight so that I can hand unscrew them. If you tighten them to factory "straightness" you first need gorilla strength to get them in that position and then you need Hercules strength to unscrew them. Or the Apeks cover tool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom