Reg servicing pricing Apeks vs Aqualung

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

watchoutheyspit

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Is there much of a difference in service pricing for the aqualung regs?
I had it done for an apeks & it was very expensive.

Getting a reg serviced is like getting a car serviced, you pay the mechanic x amount per hour or type of service and pay for parts. Labor rates are generally the same across the board regardless of manufacturer.
With both apex and al the annual warranty should cover parts as long as it is serviced every 12 months since you bought it. If you skip a year it is no longer in warranty. If not you have to pay for the kits. A typical service has 3 kits, 1 first stage and 2 second stage. If you do not mind me asking what was the cost break down.

Well, the last time I had my Apeks (primary & octo) serviced it cost me ~$200.

Hi Watchouttheyspit
Regards your reg service costs. I service Apeks regs in the UK and my costs inc parts average about $90-$100 based on present exchange rate.Average service charge for servicing here is $35 plus parts. Aqualung tend to be slightly cheaper.Have noticed that service kits for Apeks are more expensive when purchased outside the UK. At the end of the day you need to know that your reg set will operate without any problems. Good luck. padi613

Apeks parts, like big replacement parts, not standard overhaul rubber parts, are way more expensive than almost any other manufacturer. (Maybe because the Apeks parts are all made in England rather than Asia (every other regulator sold seems to be made in Asia), but that's a guess).

The service labor cost is the same for almost any reg.

The annual service kits prices going from most to least expensive:
ScubaPro, Apeks, Aqualung, Oceanic

To put several company's overhaul kit prices in there.

What was the cost break down? Was there more than just the annual parts replaced? Maybe like a hose, or yoke? Annual parts should be 50-60 US dollars roughly. Sometimes a really dirty reg will need extra cleaning. I have seen some that were really corroded and full of layers of dried puke. Those people should be charged cleaning fees.
Labor will depand on local. Labor rates for car service are double in some areas over others.

sounds like at the price of $200. there was more to the annual service charge..Hose replaced? added hose protectors? was it under warranty? if not then you paid for the rebuid kits..Cost to complete annual at most LDS is identical from regulator to regulator..If rebuild kits are to be charged for then there may be a dramatic difference in costs.Was the higher priced regulator rebuild done on a regulator purchased online?Was a warranty period missed?

Info: It was not under warranty, but there were no major replacements.broken housings, leaking hoses, no leaks nothing ...just standard servicing.

To give you some comparison, I have a Sea Quest Mirage reg that costs me about $135.00 to have the annual done. I have an Apex DS4 with XTX50 second and 40 octo. The apex cost me $38.00 (parts replacement) this year, and $20.00 (inspection) last year. Parts get replaced every two years with the warranty

Back
Top Bottom