Reg set for advanced ean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SM Diver

Reaction score
I need a new reg set for advanced nitrox dives in which I'll start breathing high02 mixes by the time I reach 40 - 50ft (i.e., "scrubbing"). Obviously, you don't want to roll off the boat on a planned 150fsw dive with the wrong reg in your mouth.

Not that I would be so careless as to grab the wrong reg, either in the boat or in the water, but it makes sense that every precuation should be taken given the consequences of a screw up. I am looking at this oceanic omega 2 reg: http://www.oceanicww.com/r_omega.jpg

My thinking is: There is no way I will mistake that thing for my primary second stage regulator. But is it a good dependable first and second stage?

What happens the one time that you are getting your gear ready on the boat, seas are rough, you didn't have your coffee, and you put that reg with that mouth doohickey on the wrong bottle.

There's an easy solution to this and you don't have to spend a dime. Know what gas you are breathing and use solid gas switching protocols/procedures and markings to ensure that you NEVER have the wrong gas in your mouth.

IMO, I would get a good breathing reg from your favorite manufacturer and just use that..

If you insist on doing something like this, then I would go with the almond flavored mouthpiece :D

What are you going to be "scrubbing" at "40 or 50 feet"? And with what?

And you really sorta kinda have to work at it to "roll off the boat" with a regulator other than your backgas in your mouth.

MechDiver once bubbled...
What are you going to be "scrubbing" at "40 or 50 feet"? And with what?
"Scrubbing" is a vernacular term for acceleration of the offgassing of nitrogen. I frequently do 5-7 dives to 130 fsw in a day. I will be doing deeper dives this Summer. The idea is to increase the safety of multiple deep dives and/or to decrease SI and/or increase bottom time. The "what" is with higher oxygen.

And you really sorta kinda have to work at it to "roll off the boat" with a regulator other than your backgas in your mouth.
Gee, such insight. I've seen excellent divers roll off without even turning on their air. Anyone can do something uncharateristically stupid, so plan for it.

You're not one of those guys that actually does the quotes with your fingers constantly when you talk, are you?

tampascott once bubbled...

You're not one of those guys that actually does the quotes with your fingers constantly when you talk, are you?

No, I'm the one who can figure out which friggin regulator I'm using at any given time.

Good luck on your scrubbing.

O-ring once bubbled...
What happens the one time that you are getting your gear ready on the boat, seas are rough, you didn't have your coffee, and you put that reg with that mouth doohickey on the wrong bottle.

Didn't say I would use it, just that it is a better soltion than having different looking second stages.

There's an easy solution to this and you don't have to spend a dime. Know what gas you are breathing and use solid gas switching protocols/procedures and markings to ensure that you NEVER have the wrong gas in your mouth.

I agree that if you have a properly rigged stage bottle you would be hard pressed to grab the wrong reg, surely someone using solid protocols/procedures and markings would not have a problem with sticking the wrong reg on a tank.

James

MechDiver once bubbled...

No, I'm the one who can figure out which friggin regulator I'm using at any given time.
Gee, hope I didn't "offend" you. Do the diving community a "favor", and don't ever become an "instructor." That arrogant "I could never make a mistake" tone would be a "disastor" in dive "instruction."

lal7176 once bubbled...
Why not rig your deco bottle like the DIR guys that way everything is tucked out of the way till you need it.

http://www.wkpp.org/images/pina_equip/deco40_70mix_r.jpeg
Yes, I would if it was just a tech dive, but I'm shooting fish, and it would be difficult to wear it like that and cock my gun repeatedly, etc. Therefore, much of the saftey built in (looking at bottle, reading 02 sticker, etc.) is lost because it's strapped to my 120. That is why the idea of a completely unique regulator seems prudant. Thanks for the reply.

Incidently, I have borrowed as much as I can from DIR and still shoot, including the BP/Wing set-up.

Back
Top Bottom