reg set service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SouthSideScubaSteve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Three Part Question:
How often do you get your reg's serviced ?

Is it based on the calendar, number of dives or a combination of the two??

Do you have them "inspected" and only change what's required; or just have a new "parts kit" installed since they are already in the shop??

Thanks in advance!

Differnt regs have differnt service intervals. Depending on the reg could be 1-3 years. Some manufacturers if you keep them serviced correctly parts are included if it is apart replace it.

As for date vs dives. All of my gear if I follow service guidelines parts are free so I always go by date. But that being said storage conditions and time alone can cause a reg to fail. Salt water and debris is bad too. Always rise gear and follow manufacturer service intervals.

Depends. I don't buy regs whose warranty is contingent on service intervals because regular service is the biggest scam in the industry. Service them when they fail. Buy a $15 IP gauge and that will tell you just about everything you need to know. If the IP locks and there's no bubbles, there's no real need to service it, service it when the IP starts creeping. Pretty simple.

Truth! tbone.

I pressurize my regs and soak them in the tub after every dive.

Other than that, I just check the IP occasionally.

For the vacation diver my suggestion is to service you regs as suggested by the manufacturer. Test them in the pool before leaving on your trip. Validate the warranty by getting them service as required.

For or the tech diver or the person who dives their regs 100 or more times per year do what ever you want.

Dmoore, that's probably the best response, if you're using them less often time is really your killer not dives. Regs don't like to sit around, plastic and rubber parts will get stiff from lack of use, even just the expansion and contraction of different temperature water will help them stay supple. Hell, my first stages have easily 400 dives on them right now and haven't asked for service yet, so they haven't gotten it, but #1 of dives for me is irrelevant, I count it in hours used because I can be doing 30-35 minute checkout dives with the program I volunteer with, or I can be doing 120+ minute dives in a cave, slight difference there.

With my Zeagles, as needed; about every 4 to 5 years.

Three Part Question:
How often do you get your reg's serviced ?

Is it based on the calendar, number of dives or a combination of the two??

Do you have them "inspected" and only change what's required; or just have a new "parts kit" installed since they are already in the shop??

Thanks in advance!

Good answers so far, but one more cannot hurt :D.

I am in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" camp. However, this is an easy answer for me since I service my own regs, and at the earliest sign of ANY problem, I fix the problem. For me, this seems to be a couple years for 2nd stages (just a quick service to change a soft seat, clean and re-lube), and 3 -5 years for first stages.... although my main go-to 1st stage is now nearing 7 years since the last rebuild...

For all divers, I recommend the excellent sticky post at the very top of this forum, that was compiled by couv, and many of the "usual" suspects:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/346813-regulator-inspection-checklist-rev-7-a.html

Buy yourself an IP gauge, get in the habit of inspecting your regs before and after each dive day, and then you'll be able to make informed decisions about when it is "time" to have them serviced.

Best wishes.

In the past manufacturers recommended a full rebuild each year, which was overkill for most divers. Most manufactures now recommend a full rebuild every two years with some wanting an inspection between. I know of no manufacturer where the warranty is contingent on servicing. What is usually is contingent on servicing is free "parts for life" programs.

As far as the number of dives Scubapro recommends a full service after 100 dives and Atomic 300. There really should not be any difference between them so it is probably a combination of liability, marketing, and profitability driving the decision. While time does degrade soft parts I would have to think this would take some time. I have seen new regs sitting in dive shops that were several years old, I doubt the shop is going to rebuild them when they are sold. I would think the primary determination for rebuilding is the number of cycles the regulator has but who is going to track that. So # of dives is easier to track, you can get that from your log.

I am in the rebuild when broken category, BUT I have many regulator sets to chose from and always carry two so if one dies I have a backup. I suspect the others have several sets also. You don't want to be in the middle of a dive vacation and have you regulator break.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom