Reg Swivel Tech Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaveJo127

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Question for you experienced guys diving a tech setup (backplate harness with a long hose and octo necklace)... I switched over to a tech style setup recently, and bought an XS Scuba universal reg swivel for my octo since the short and stiff 22' hose was making it hard to turn my head with the octo in my mouth. Looks like this:
swivel.jpg

Later I read on here that some of the reg swivels have had reliability issues in the past. Any opinions on this or experience with the XS swivel? Is it okay if I'm just using it for my octo? Am I going to die?

you're definitely gonna die. maybe not from the swivel, but still...

the better solution is a fixed angle elbow. swivels can fail, from the spectacular explosion to the leak that ends your dive. if that happens on a pretty fish dive, no biggie, go on up. if it happens when you have an overhead, it sucks to be you, so don't put yourself in that position.

you're definitely gonna die. maybe not from the swivel, but still...

the better solution is a fixed angle elbow. swivels can fail, from the spectacular explosion to the leak that ends your dive. if that happens on a pretty fish dive, no biggie, go on up. if it happens when you have an overhead, it sucks to be you, so don't put yourself in that position.

After you pay your taxes, but before you die, do as BabyDuck says and simplify your life. These are simpler, less failure prone, and more affordable than the articulating swivel.
Swivels and Elbows | Dive Gear Express®

You really should not need an adaptor on your bungeed backup.

I doubt if a right angle adapter or that swivel contraptio will help. I would see if you can get used to what you have. Sometimes it judt takes a little practice. If still a problem, look for a longer or softer hose.

Thanks for the replies guys. Just being semi-sarcastic about dying (had to throw that joke in there). I think what I'll do is just get over it and do without the swivel. It's not like it's uncomfortable enough to hinder my performance underwater. Besides, with luck I'll only be forced to finish a dive with my backup reg a minimal amount of times in my career. Funny story speaking of which, on my very first open water dive during OW training I had to save my dive buddy when she ran out of air and panicked at about 30ft. Only time thus far I've had to share air.

All my dives thus far have been lake and cavern dives. No "pretty fish" dives yet. This past Saturday I dove for the first time with the new hose configuration over in a local mud hole lake where some wrecks are. Worked like a charm and felt very streamlined. Had no discomfort issues.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom