Regs in your carryon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We check the regs, fins, BCs, and some clothes. Carry on mask, camera, and wetsuit- these would be the most painful for me to rent.

I used to check my regs. Carried on this trip because I didn't want to check my computer. Seemed easier to just carry my reg bag than open it up and disconnecting the computer..

---------- Post added April 28th, 2012 at 12:29 AM ----------

The computer issue is more of a diving concern. Most computers test ambient pressures even when turned off. If the cargo hold losses pressure the flight crew usually wouldn't care. If your computer thinks you spent the last 5 hours on a 30000 ft mnt. It likely won't let you dive for 24 hours. As for thievery, my gear bag is a beat up 20 year old canvas duffel held together with duct tape. If it was in a pile of 10 bags. I'd rifle through the other 9 first.... Which also get me to thinking of tsa locks. Little luggage locks that have a master key port that supposedly only the tsa can open. Now you can lock your bag and tsa won't cut the lock.

I check my regs but make sure they're as insulated against impact as possible.
When I travel it's usually with everything that I own so my carryon in full with heavier items

I used to check my regs. Carried on this trip because I didn't want to check my computer. Seemed easier to just carry my reg bag than open it up and disconnecting the computer..

The computer issue is more of a diving concern. Most computers test ambient pressures even when turned off. If the cargo hold losses pressure the flight crew usually wouldn't care. If your computer thinks you spent the last 5 hours on a 30000 ft mnt. It likely won't let you dive for 24 hours. As for thievery, my gear bag is a beat up 20 year old canvas duffel held together with duct tape. If it was in a pile of 10 bags. I'd rifle through the other 9 first.... Which also get me to thinking of tsa locks. Little luggage locks that have a master key port that supposedly only the tsa can open. Now you can lock your bag and tsa won't cut the lock.

I could be crazy here, but I don't really think your dive computer will care if you spent 5 hours at 30,000ft before coming down to sea level. It certainly doesn't care that you spend your flight at a pressure of 8000ft and then come down to sea level.

Reactions: Doc
I also carry my reg, canister light and computer. The rest is checked. No problem with TSA so far in San Francisco, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Phuket.

Just about everything goes into the dive caddy. I don't like how the regs fit, so they end up in her carryon. The only things that get checked are her fins, BCD, and our backup gear(extra masks, etc...).

No problems yet except for some interest in my strobe.

Just went to Bonaire from Prague via Amsterdam. I always carry the regs and camera housings in the carry on and the cameras themselves in the backpack. I realized when I got to Bonaire that I had a new titanium folding knife in my reg bag.....threw it there when I bought it and forgot all about it. Didn't get stopped in four times through an x-ray machine......doesn't that give you a warm fuzzy feeling about our wonderful global security checks when we fly? It's all a bit of a joke, really. Going through Amsterdam, they ran the reg bag through twice even, once in the carry on and once after they removed the reg bag from the carryon. I guess they were so busy trying to figure out if the computers with batteries were bombs they didn't have time to see the 4 inch blade staring at them!

Actually the TSA locks would be good idea. After buying 2 of them and having them both fail to reappear upon arrival of my luggage, I gave up. Waste of money if the TSA decides to take them off (or cut them off) and not replace them. The only times I have had the note in my luggage that they had opened and inspected it was when the locks disappeared.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom