Regs on airplane?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We just flew through Miami to Bonaire last week and basically had the same experience. All 4 carry ons got opened and looked at in RDU (Raleigh)but not a single question or problem. All of us had regs and I had a camera and strobe. None got looked at twice or opened in Miami (either way). I did however get the arms in the air wand search once in Miami, reg got through fine. Our checked luggage got hand checked leaving Bonaire, no problems even with a dive knife (in checked luggage that is). The only "strange" thing was they removed the batteries from my dive lights in Bonaire. They opened the light, dumped the batteries out into the suitcase, put the light back in the case and shut it up.
So, since April I have had 6 security checks at 4 different airports and so far no problems.

I know this is an older thread BUT...I am a Ground Security Coordinator (GSC) at Phoenix. (Which means the TSA pays my airline to force me to sit up at the checkpoint and be REALLY bored all darned day long.) There are a few things I can clarify here. In defense of a LOT of people, they are not all errant hamburger flippers...They just have not seen a lot of SCUBA gear. Most of my people are now getting used to what's what thanks to me. You will rarely hear "BAG CHECK" called for SCUBA gear. The only time lately I ever did was when someone had a knife on their BCD.

As far as calling the Miami police...they have NO say what so ever on what you can and cannot take on the plane with you. What you can do is ask to speak with someone higher up in the TSA. (Big new government thing...Transportation Security Administration.) 99% of them totally believe in the whole common sense thing about what's not allowed. Luckily, MIA is not a Federalized airport YET, so ask to speak with the GSC before you ask to talk to someone above the GSC.

Also, as far as whether or not you're pulled aside for the good old handwand. These people HAVE to do this. Once they finish with one, they immediately have to grab someone else if no one has alarmed when walking through the metal detector. Word of advice- unless you wear cheap tennis shoes...PUT YOUR SHOES ON THE XRAY! Even those tiny little strappy sandals we gals like to wear have a metal shank in them for support. The better the shoe, the bigger the shank. Take them off to avoid alarming. (Also, yes girls, underwire bras do set off the handwand alarm...they GOTTA do it. SUCKS I know, I have it done at LEAST once a day. Too bad they don't make good bras without those cursed things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Now, as an airline employee, I HAVE to tell you that I would NEVER EVER NEVER check my gear under the plane. I know what happens to your bags down there on the ramp and under the plane. You can have someone treat your bags very very nicely, only to have bags shift on take off, landing or during turbulance, and things get damaged. If you check your gear, spend the $$$ on a hard sided case. Just trust me on this!!!! (Have seen some really awful things happen to bags for the aforementioned things...not from bad baggage handling. ALthough that unfortunately happens too.)

PM me if y'all have any further questions on airport security. I will GLADLY answer them for you if I can. (There are things that I can go to jail for along with paying huge fines for if I tell.)

Happy Flying and happier diving! (Remember, in the end you get to go have a LOT of fun with that stuff they're stopping you for! Just relax and let them do their job. Most security screeners do take care of your things. The ones who pull and all are the exception. ANd if you have a good GSC like me, they'll be being watched and will be jumped on for doing that!)

Kristey
(OK, basically what I was saying is "Fly out of Phoenix in the evenings Sun-Wed and use the B checkpoint and you'll have very few hassles!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh wait, my counterpart on the evening shift the rest of the week knows about SCUBA gear too!) :wink:

Kristy,

That is all great, if you are flying through Pheonix. However, here in Atlanta, and other airports, it is a different story. Not all GSC, and yes I was one for my airline for about a year, are knowledgeable like yourself. You run into some real buffoons. I wish they were all like you. However, I have seen pilots who had their maglight flashlights taken from them at security. Now it is pretty hard to do a preflight walk around at night without a flashlight.

As for contacting Miami police, I offered that advice because I could not find a number for the company running security there. Here in Atlanta, the police still man the security checkpoint, and can put you in touch with the proper folks.

Oh, and about checking baggage, I agree. If you can get away without doing it, you should. I used to work ramp and baggage service, so I agree with you there. However, you should be prepared to check everything you own, so makesure your carry on bags are something that can be checked without significant damage.

A very big thanks to Kristy and JamesK. While it may have been, as you noted, an old post, you two have generously added the expert information we all needed re GSCs and TSCs at MIA (is there a cure for speaking in three-letter abbreviations? I'll check with the AMA). Without your input, we're reduced to guessing based on others' chance encounters of "I passed through with immunity" vs. "I passed through with hassle" vs. "I ran into the biggest jerk . . . "

My take on foreign travel has always a blend of "it's all an adventure . . . ", Murphy's law, and some old adage about the occurence of "fecal matter." And that has been enough to see me through a host of calamities because, when the calamities do finally pass, well, I find myself in a place where the sun is shining, the water is warm and clear, and the hustle and bustle of the stateside urban living has been blocked out by repeated absorption of mass quantities of nitrogen. Notwithstanding the egregious affronts and abuses of power that other respondents have shared in this thread (e.g., Raviepoo), the security imperative that now overshadows air travel is just another hurdle in the pursuit of escape. As the folks uniquely "in the know," Kristy and JamesK are to be thanked for giving us the inside scoop. When I make it hassle-free through MIA security (oh, that power of positive thinking!) and arrive fully geared in Roatan (oh, the power of wishful thinking!), I'll be sure to make a toast in your honor!

This link will help you out quite a bit as far as the guidelines we're SUPPOSED to be following...

www.tsa.dot.gov/workingwithtsa/travel.shtm

Kristey

PS...James, what a shame not all persons on the checkpoints believe in common sense huh? If I don't know, I ask the traveler, not the people on checkpoint- mayhaps more of those in my position should try the same thing!

Originally posted by SCUBAKristey
PS...James, what a shame not all persons on the checkpoints believe in common sense huh? If I don't know, I ask the traveler, not the people on checkpoint- mayhaps more of those in my position should try the same thing!

Good Lord that would be nice! However, common sense is no longer common in America.

Kristey:
Good web link. Thanks for sharing it. Keep up the good work!

Good Lord that would be nice! However, common sense is no longer common in America.

I keep hearing that more and more! I have heard from a lot of other frustrated travelers how bad it can be depending on who is at the checkpoints at what time. There are a lot of people such as myself who follow the guidlines like we're supposed to. THEN...there are the ones who get their power trips on and go nuts with passengers. I myself happen to believe (as we all should) that the ones going through the checkpoint ARE MY PAYCHECK!!! I also treat them as such. (Have had a few exception, but that's WAY off topic.:wink: And sadly to say most are pilots and flight attendants...lol)

Happy flying and happier diving!

Kristey

I carry my regs on in a portable cooler that I use as a reg bag coming and going and cooler while we're there.
As discussed in another thread, I also do that to avoid possible charges for checking in scuba equipment.

I fly Continental almost exclusively and they have an official baggage policy of charging $75 for each bag of scuba equipment whether it is part of your allowed check ins or not. This along with a strict don't ask, don't tell policy has helped me avoid any problems (and charges).

As to the airport security workers, I find that many are able to identify scuba equipment on the scanning machine and most others are satisfied after a brief explanation although it is sometimes inspected.

We just carried them for a visit to Raja Ampat, primarily because they are a concentrated heavy part of our equipment and we were pushing baggage allowance. They caused a hand bag search on departure in Alaska (not a lot of SCUBA gear seen here), but sailed through in SFO, Hong Kong, Jakarta, Sorong. We will carry on again, just for weight issues.

Back
Top Bottom