"Regulations" Got You Down? "Human Leather Gloves" are here!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cowboyneal

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
In a quest to always thwart ridiculous marine park regulations, I've finally found the answer. Stow these babies in your BC and put them on while descending and no one will ever know! They even have fingernails painted on!

Google: "Grenade Human Leather" and check these gloves out! They are made for snowboarding, but are made of synthetic leather and probably work great! Can't wait to bring them to Cozumel, then Cayman!!!! Here's one URL:

http://www.snowboardconnection.com/product_detail.cfm?PID=54739

Ha!

I just got them, they are awesome! Much more hand-like than in the picture too...No one is ever going to know I have gloves on...LOL!!!!

Why is wearing glove so important? I can't stand wearing them in warm water.

I always wear gloves. Protection from sharp bits of boat, ladder, jellyfish and everything else.

String:
I always wear gloves. Protection from sharp bits of boat, ladder, jellyfish and everything else.

Exactly, and its also a matter of personal choice...somehow these mental buffons get it in their heads that gloves cause reef damage (as if the gloves go down there by themselves and cause it)...under that scenario, you could outlaw any piece of equipment or exposure protection which, on the wrong diver, could "cause" damage...

are you serious? mental buffoons?
I really hope that whoever you go dive with DEMANDS that you take off the gloves or make you sit on the boat.

jaybombs25:
are you serious? mental buffoons?
I really hope that whoever you go dive with DEMANDS that you take off the gloves or make you sit on the boat.

Well this is rich. There is a person that for whatever personal reassons likes/requires gloves while diving and has found the way to go around a ridiculous rule and you wish for him/her to be caught and what? punished back in the corner?

DEMAND to take any of my gear off? I'd love to deal with that.

The hypocrisy does go to levels difficult to describe. Let's don't ALLOW our paying customers to wear gloves. We'll say is for the benefit for the reefs.

What? a diver with bad bouyancy control won't harm the reefs because he doesn't have gloves? who are you kidding? The reef will get damaged the same. Probably worse because after getting scratched/pinched/hurted/whatever this diver will also kick the reef with the fins while dealing with the commotion.

Why don't you DEMAND them not to wear fins either, in reality fins cause a lot more damage than hands.

People who really want to touch, WILL touch with or without gloves, I do.
And yes, sometimes I mess with puffer fish and make them blow, and I have managed to move slow enough to rub the underside of flounders with the tip of my spear if they are too small for the stringer. Hey I'm even mean to little children and the elderly. These days I'm learning the technique of pulling over the octopus' mantle before their legs attach to my arm. None of these actions are against the law and opposite to popular opinion do not have a negative effect on the health of the planet.

A lot of people require gloves to keep their hands warm regardless of the water temperature, why should they be punished?

Ana:
None of these actions are against the law and opposite to popular opinion do not have a negative effect on the health of the planet.

Umm should I inform you that it IS AGAINST THE LAW to dive with gloves and knives, at least where I am from. I've seen people refuse to remove them and end up with extended SI's

Easy just to avoid the places with restrictive laws like that.

Crap divers with useless buoyancy kill reefs, dive boats anchoring randomly kill reef.

If a dive is yo-yoing hes going to touch the reef gloves or no gloves.

I personally hate getting cut or stung and if diving a lot in a short period it can get infected and so on. Gloves help reduce that.

Banning gloves and knives solves nothing. Its a rule that accomplishes nothing and merely hides the fact that bad divers are destroying their reef not a pair of gloves.

Means dive operators can pretend to be doing something while not addressing the real issue which would hurt their finances.

Banning gloves doesn't *hide* anything. Banning gloves increases the chance that a bad diver will be injured and thereby dissuaded or prevented from causing further damage. People heal faster than reefs, and the pain of injury and expense (or inconvenience) of treatment may even be a motivator for skill improvement.

I always dive with gloves, but I can understand the motivation behind the no-glove rules. If I dive a location that has such a rule, I'll certainly comply.

Back
Top Bottom