"Regulations" Got You Down? "Human Leather Gloves" are here!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmm, could you not just go and get a prescription from the doc, saying that you are required to wear gloves due to some sort of skin condition or something like that?

cowboyneal:
Screw the "rules." I wear gloves every time, or no tips...guess what? I always get to wear them (wink, wink, nod, nod, just put them on while descending please). It's exposure protection, not "so I can touch things" protection. It's also against the law to smoke pot, walk across the street against a red light and a whole bunch of other things I'm sure all these "regulation followers" on here must do every day. Like I said, tell the people that no gloves=no tips, and watch the rules disappear...and yes, "mental buffoons" would cover the issue well, because as I say, gloves never hurt a reef: bad diving does. What's next, no wet suits? Fins (as was astutely noted) cause more damage than gloves and those aren't banned (sticky little issue there because without fins, there would be no diving and therefore no big American, Japanese and European bucks, yens or euros in ye old island economies or pockets of the dive oeprations which would then be, well, non-existent) so it's all some kind of lip service that's ridiculous, and, as I said, I'm sure all of the 'righteous' regulation followers also believe Sadaam had WMD, stand on empty corners staring at empty streets at 4am waiting for traffic lights to turn green and more than likely take on the appearance of sheep rather than human beings....

Hey, do you know cowboyneal, you were kind of annoying me ? But then I read the above and I agree entirely. Those red lights at 3am and all the other "treat people like they're all dumb" (a few of us are though) things.... I'm with you.

I liked it better when I was being annoying (HAHAAA)!!!!

I like the note from the Dr. idea. You could even just make one up on your own computer and email the dive people and ask (I won't be able to spend my money on your diving offerings without gloves, and I have a Dr. note)...I am sure they wouldn't call and check (which you can just make the phone number your own mobile in case they did)...there's always a way around something...the other way is just to grin and bear it, but then I wouldn't be me if I did that and then I am sure I'd be stung by a jelly fish or something...hahaaa

Ah, thank God you all know what's best for these dive areas. I mean the rule is dumb, so why should you abide by it? After all, it's your opinion and what's best for you that matters. Screw everyone else. What's next? "I know it's not lobster season, but there are plenty of lobster down there" or "so what if the fish I just chased around stresses and dies, there are lots of fish in the ocean". You can self rationalize anything you want. This is why no one has any respect for anyone else any more. Wonder why much of the world hates Americans? Its this exact attitude. How would you feel about the guy that steals your gear because "you're rich, you can afford new gear" or "they had 3 TV's, they can afford for me to take one". I bet your the first one incensed and complaining about the lawlessness in the country.

Don't like the rule, don't dive there. Don't like a law? Get the law changed. Blatant disregard for law and order is why people think somehow it's OK to kill a store clerk or a campus full of people because they are upset with how things are. I know, its a long stretch from wearing gloves to murder. But the basic principal is the same: Do you have any respect for anything that is contrary to what you deem important, or is it OK to do what you think you should do, regardless of what laws, rules or even common sense dictates?

ba-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a...Methinks that wearing dive gloves doesn't quite rise to the level of committing murder, stealing or poaching - your analogy fails utterly and completely. Usually it would take an extreme right-winger to call forth the VT campus murders to try to justify a stupid and inapplicable dive glove regulation that does nothing to advance the purposes for which it is supposedly enacted...this is how they have been trained...no shame at all...I guess you drive 55 all the time? Doubtful...

cowboyneal:
ba-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a...Methinks that wearing dive gloves doesn't quite rise to the level of committing murder, stealing or poaching - your analogy fails utterly and completely. ...

Then explain it to me. How does disregard for a law, any law, just because you think it is wrong make your actions right? :confused:

You have choices, they have rules. Dive somewhere you like the rules better.

And maybe what the rule does is get people at least talking about the damage that can occur. Maybe instructors should do a better job teaching their students. Maybe after a good fire coral sting a mediocre diver will learn what to touch and what not to touch, and more importantly, would learn better bouyancy.

If I have a choice about not wearing gloves or a free for all and lets hope something is left after, I think I'll suffer with not wearing gloves.

Turtle Diver:
jaybombs25:
Ana:
None of these actions are against the law and opposite to popular opinion do not have a negative effect on the health of the planet.

Thanks for the warning. I won't be visiting St Lucia.

Maybe they'll ban Diving. Gloves, suits, fins, etc. can't damage anything without the diver. Then they can sit on the surface remarking how nice the depths probably are.
:D :D

irishsquid:
Turtle Diver:
jaybombs25:
Maybe they'll ban Diving. Gloves, suits, fins, etc. can't damage anything without the diver. Then they can sit on the surface remarking how nice the depths probably are.
:D :D

They wont ban diving.That would hurt their economy.

ianr33:
irishsquid:
Turtle Diver:
They wont ban diving.That would hurt their economy.

You're right, of course. Banning gloves is a band-aid approach. As others have posted, p*** poor skill causes damage; but sorry divers also contribute to the economy. A competent diver, whether gloved or not, will leave bubbles. A cruddy diver will likely use their fins instead of bare hands to prevent touching the bottom. IMO

Back
Top Bottom