Regulator brand bias?

What brand of regulator is best?

• Apeks - all other brands are inferior

Votes: 15 13.3%
  • Scubapro - all other brands are inferior

Votes: 18 15.9%
  • Apeks or Scubapro - either of these are great and all others are inferior

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • Apeks and Scubapro are no better than regulators made by other brands (Atomic, Oceanic, Aqualung, et

Votes: 59 52.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dgangi

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm really curious about brand bias that seems to be pervasive on this board. It seems like the vast majority of the you who post messages on a regular basis have a huge bias towards Apeks and Scubapro regulators. In fact, based on the tone of many of the posts I read, Apeks and Scubapro are touted as *the* only brands -- forget all the others.

Yet if you read various publications, other brands rate just as good (or better) than the Apeks and Scubapro regulators -- Atomic, Oceanic, Aqualung, etc.

Oddly enough, none of the people I dive with use either the Apeks or Scubapro brands of regulators. They are all Atomic fanatics. And the LDS down the street swears by Atomic. The LDS where I was certified swears by Oceanic, so that's what I dive with. Certain DIR posts I have read on other websites say that Scubapro and Oceanic and highly recommended regs.

So what's up? Is this just a "groupthink" phenomenon (or socialogic effect) that the people on this board migrated to Apeks and Scubapro?? And if I find another scuba board (if there is one), will I find a brand bias towards Aqualung and Atomic?? Is this like snow skiing, where you go to one ski village and EVERYBODY swears by Rossignol and then go to another ski village and EVERYBODY swears by Volkl?

Anyway, I'm just curious to see what you guys think...

Thx...Doug
A non-Apeks/Scubapro regulator user :)

It goes something like this:

Pick your price range. Unless you're going to be paying an obscene amount for a reg, Apeks has the best reg for you.

My TX40 is the best breathing regulator I've ever had in my mouth. You can buy an ATX-50 for barely over $250. The famed DS4 first stage is widely available at well under $150. The ATX-100 apparently has perfect hose routing, and it's less than $400. Why on earth pay more? The Apeks line definitely (edited from "may") has equals, but does it have any equals for the same price? (that's not saying they don't exist)

If you can find an equal or better regulator for the same price, go for it. But in general this seems to be the case... so when someone asks for a recommendation, "buy an Apeks!" seems to usually be the best (or at least a perfectly valid) answer.

Hey Doug

Well let me start by saying I did not vote in your poll as we have had three manufactures that you speak of …….and like or liked them all.

Personally …. And I’m sure as you are aware…. When buying local a lot has to do with dive shops and their brand loyalty/what they carry…. as you mention there is a local shop to you that loves Atomic/you learned with Oceanic. We looked at several regs prior to our last purchase and we were disappointed with the shops……not the equipment or manufacturer…..We just did not want to deal with certain shops nor did we care for how they handled customers ….and most of all how they “bad mouthed” other shops/brands (that’s a MAJOR turn-off in my book).

Yes currently I dive an Apeks but also have an Aqualung ( the bosses) and a few others (collecting dust or used on ponies)……The Apeks was purchased only after I did a lot of research ….as I knew nothing about the reg or the company. In fact I was very hesitant to get it as at that time the Apeks line wasn’t all that well known in the States as it is now becoming (although you see little if any advertising for them Therefore didn’t buy it because some sexy young scuba babe was modeling it)……..Truthfully If I had wanted to go along with the crowd….. ScubaPro was the reg to get. We have had Scuba Pro and that was the one I was going after as I liked my old one …… and would look at nothing else…….my problem was the dealers……otherwise I might just be diving one of them now!!!!

So it forced me to research and look at other equipment and shops…Like I mentioned I knew little of the Apeks when I first looked at it……but after talking with people about the reg ( not through this site or any other) it made good sense to me that it was a well designed unit.

I personally liked what I had read about the Apeks LINE….and not just one reg….they were all highly thought of regs…..which helped me in that I knew there wasn’t a reg in the line that was a fly by night that brought them into the limelight. I have just consistently seen good reports on this line therefore I was willing to buy a relatively unknown reg to us. Today so many of the reg are of such high quality one would not be able to differentiate one from the other if they didn’t have a name plastered all over it.

For us the bottom line boiled down to personal preference cost( what you want to spend or have available to spend) and support for your equipment. I bought it as I thought it was the best reg for me and my diving style…… not what someone else told me to get ……. And I admit I’m very happy with my decision.

Just remember its all about feeling comfortable with YOUR gear and having fun ...... dont worry what the other guy has or what he thinks of my/your gear get whats right for you!!!!!! :wink:

Apeks sure has become popular since they became available for $250. When I was a dealer a Flathead 6 (don't know what they call them now) cost me $300 a ds4 was a little less.

jonnythan once bubbled...
It goes something like this:

Pick your price range. Unless you're going to be paying an obscene amount for a reg, Apeks has the best reg for you.

The Apeks line definitely (edited from "may") has equals, but does it have any equals for the same price? (that's not saying they don't exist)

But that's just it. According to Rodale's and Divernet, Apeks *does* have equals for the same or lesser price. I believe regulators from Aqualung, Zeagle, Oceanic, and Genesis all earned outstanding scores and got rated in the same category as the Apeks.

I'm not saying the Apeks isn't a good regulator. Nor do I have any personal experience with any of them. So maybe they are the best. I can't refute that.

But according to what I read in print, they aren't "heads and shoulders" above the rest. In fact, the Apeks is listed as just another line of good regulators in an increasingly outstanding regulator market.

All I am saying is that there seems to be a huge bias toward these regulators as if they are the only product to purchase and everything else is junk. You know -- in all of the insinuations and "between the lines" comments. All I wanted to know was if people really believed that or if they just brag about them because they happen to own them.

Based on the regulators I've used so far, my Oceanic Delta3 is the best thing in the world. And since that's my only perspective, I'm sure my regulator recommendations include a heavy bias toward Oceanic.

Thx...Doug

Finesse once bubbled...
Hey Doug

Personally …. And I’m sure as you are aware…. When buying local a lot has to do with dive shops and their brand loyalty/what they carry…. as you mention there is a local shop to you that loves Atomic/you learned with Oceanic. We looked at several regs prior to our last purchase and we were disappointed with the shops……not the equipment or manufacturer…..We just did not want to deal with certain shops nor did we care for how they handled customers ….and most of all how they “bad mouthed” other shops/brands (that’s a MAJOR turn-off in my book).

Actually, I didn't purchase my Oceanic Delta 3 because of my dive shop's bias towards them. I never even used an Oceanic regulator until I bought mine (only used Mares and Sherwood before). I actually found the Oceanc line of regulators by reviewing lots of literature, reviews, and some other on-line comments. I came up with a list of regulators that kept coming up over and over again as having outstanding performance at each price point (Apeks, Scubapro, Oceanic, and Aqualung were in that list), and the tie breaker happened to be price -- the Oceanic was on a great sale on LP that I just couldn't pass up (prices went up $50 just after I bought mine). Had I bought the Aqualung, Scubapro, or Apeks, I'm sure I would be just as happy.

It just so happened that after I bought my regulator on-line, I went to my LDS for a refresher course and saw the Oceanic regs on the wall (never paid attention before). He said the Delta 3 was his favorite regulator at any price and that he highly recommended it. I didn't buy it because of him...he just reaffirmed my arduous search for a regulator.

Just remember its all about feeling comfortable with YOUR gear and having fun ...... dont worry what the other guy has or what he thinks of my/your gear get whats right for you!!!!!! :wink:

You're definitely right on that remark. Just like any other sport -- brand name doesn't mean a thing if you're not comfortable with the gear.

Thx...Doug

Yes there seems to be a general disposition to the only regs polled. I depend on Poseidon regs but use Oceanic and Mares for stages. Just like being able to run one over each shoulder.

Personally, I do like diving with my Poseidon Odin/jetstream. There has been a "crack down" on "grey market" Odins/jetstreams and it seems their price has gone up-at least overseas where they were once very inexpensive.

But Apeks-when purchased online- is one of the cheapest, best made regs.(I also own a TX50). Scubapro is just simply more expensive-and why pay more? Oceanic is great but not as common online. Atomic is just too expensive-period-and their designs are similar to Scubapros.

The divers on this board would by the best if it meant paying twice as much as the next reg-even for a little advantage in performance. But if you buy Apeks online you don't have to pay twice as much-as a matter of fact it's usually about a third less.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom