Regulator bungie for recreational diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So is it time to jump in and mention that if you only have a primary, you know, only one second stage, and learn how to buddy breathe, that this talk about failure point and bungies all becomes academic?

I still bungie...errr...would still bungie it !

---------- Post added November 23rd, 2012 at 09:14 PM ----------

Just checking how a thread on the merits of utilizing a octo bungee and primary long hose reached 142 posts. Some people here really need to stop breaking the big pill in half. Jezz Louise....

I believe the original poster was diving with a standard primary hose and an AIR II on her inflator hose. If she was diving a long
hose there would have been no need for a question on bungies.

Again, sigh.

That's NOT my 'theory'. Don't try and put words in my mouth. I never said there is no reason for spares, backups, or redundancy. But having a bunch of scuba stuff laying around increases the chance that SOMETHING is broken. Math.

If you have two regs you are more likely to see one of them fail than having just one. Because you have two. This is evidenced by math. If you have 50, you're more likely to have one of them fail than if you have just 2. Once again, math.

Deciding on if you need a redundant system is determined by the result of having a single failure. A double failure is less likely than a single failure. Math, again.

If you disagree with math, I can't help you.

I agree that the more variables you add the more likely one of them will encounter a failure, however, the possibility that all will fail is drastically reduced. The point I'm making is the advantages of having a backup vs not having one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom