regulator hose leak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, the garden hose analogy was simply to give a visual. Remember though, the inside diameter of a scuba hose is very small, ~3/16-1/4". So in theory it wouldn't take much to crimp it shut. Obviously there's a lot more pressure to overcome. I'll test tomorrow in my pool by pressing the purge on my reg and see if I can't shut of the flow by crimping the hose.

That will not answer the question. In a free flow the intermediate pressure is much higher than in a regular situation. It may be as high as the tank pressure. So instead of about 150 psi intermediate pressure you have potentially 3000 psi. The first stage valve is frozen, litterly iced up. I had read that before but it didnt work for me, and I would think that sometimes you might not be able to close the valve. I always heard the if you lose your weightbelt the thing to do is flare to slow your accent. I once lost half of my weights and flaring didn't seem to slow me down at all. I thought I would embolize. My advice now to someone is point your nose to the bottom and kick like hell.

---------- Post added October 3rd, 2015 at 09:04 AM ----------

But then again the original poster was not in a first stage free flow so it might have worked.

Last edited:
Ok, I tested yesterday in my pool by putting one bend in the hose and it immediately and completely closed off the air. I only did the test by holding down the purge button, but in my opinion, regardless of the failure at the second stage, this technique would shut down a leak/free flow.

Ok, I tested yesterday in my pool by putting one bend in the hose and it immediately and completely closed off the air. I only did the test by holding down the purge button, but in my opinion, regardless of the failure at the second stage, this technique would shut down a leak/free flow.

Or at least reduce the loss rate significantly...

Thank You Kuzza, good info. I tought it was not possible. You made me smarter :)

Just a question, does it work on Braided AND rubber hoses?

That will not answer the question. In a free flow the intermediate pressure is much higher than in a regular situation. It may be as high as the tank pressure. So instead of about 150 psi intermediate pressure you have potentially 3000 psi.

You won't have 3000 psi in your intermediate hose, more like a big hole in it or two pieces. Back in the day I had a Nimrod upstream second give me a demonstration. The hoses are better now and can take more pressure, but not near 3000#.

It depends on the cause the freeflow, if the regulator is functioning properly the pressure to the seconds will not exceed IP. If it is not functioning properly and produces a higher IP the second will freeflow reducing the pressure in the hose, If the second cannot keep up with the flow from the first stage pressure in the hose will increase some. If the first somehow fails so it allows tank pressure through and maximum flow, the seconds will freeflow and if they cannot keep up with the flow, pressure will increase in the hose until a hose bursts, since secondary hoses are now rated around 400#. I haven't seen a hose blow since upstream valves went out of favor and/or divers started using a relief with them. As for a catastrophic failure in a first stage as described, it would be a first for me. Oh yes it is possible, in the same way that me winning the lottery is possible.

Bob

90 degree elbow part

IMG_0996.jpgIMG_0997.jpg

Interesting thread to me. i actually had the spindle loosen on a 90 degree elbow during a recent dive at Cozumel (fizzing bubbles not a bad leak).
Note that the spindle has 2 o-rings. The left one seals in the housing and the right one seals the secondary hose. To tighten mine I needed a 5/32 allen wrench (makes changing orings easy). I have no idea what the torque specs are, but might be a good idea to check before you install the hose.

She has jaw/neck issues and, as I expected, the flex hose helped her hugely as the regulator wasn't being wrenched from her mouth constantly.

Have you considered an omniswivel? I wish I got mine sooner.

You should have switched to your OWN alternate while checking to see if hand-tightening the hose on your primary would correct the problem. If it didn't (as in this case) then end the dive on your own alternate, with your wife at the ready to donate if needed.
I was given this as cardinal rule number 1 for resolving issues under water:
"Never manipulate regulators or hoses that are pressurized. This is likely to turn a fixable problem into a non-fixable problem by cutting captured static O-rings."

So if you can't turn off the pressure, which you should not do diving a single tank, you shouldn't be trying to work on it under water. Surface, turn it off and see it you can tighten it then.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom