Regulator kits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hm, somehow this got twisted a bit. If you read my postings on this you'll see I'm actually not personally againts end users servicing. I just would want to see them trained and have the latest info. For instance, I've done many Scubapro clinics in the past, I have serviced hundreds of Scubapro regs and thousands of all brands, heck I teach people how to repair regs! I have some Scuabpro regs. I know there have been slight changes in service kits/parts but don't have the latest service manual. Would I service my reg? NO, not until I get the latest manual.
I used the car anology only because many have used it but I was putting in context of FREE WARRANTY parts, not the ability to do the work or being able to buy parts at will.

We have got off on a few tangents here I guess. Maybe we should re-focus a bit. The main issue here is that all divers should have the choice to work on there own regs if they so choose. And that means having parts and manuals available so that the work can be done safely.
The car analogy is very useful because it helps to dispel some of the misconceptions associated with reg repair. Such as “reg repair is too hard for the average person to do” or “There are liability issues”.
Yes this will step on the toes of a few dives shops, but probably not as much as they think. When I go into the dive shop to buy my reg repair parts, I will also buy other stuff.

Cerich,

Sorry If I came across as attacking you directly... that was not my intention whatsoever... I merely wished to point out strongly that the car analogy does hold for the reasons I outlined and others too.

Interestingly... I can see only one way to assemble the scubapro mk10... it simply will not go together any other way! I don't have the manual for my car either... Haynes don't make one!

I also agree that not everyone can or should work on their own car, reg, tax return... I will continue to do all 3 :)

take it easy, and be safe!
Rob

FatRob:
Interestingly... I can see only one way to assemble the scubapro mk10... it simply will not go together any other way!

My dive buddy bought a used Mk10 that was assembled wrong. I noticed a little extra play in the turret. Turned out the turret washer was in the wrong location. It worked OK anyway.

The other day I took my reg to my LDS for servicing. The second stage was leaking. When I went back a week or so later to pick it up, there was no note as to what had been wrong with it. This got me wondering how sure I was that it was fixed, so I hooked it up to a tank there in the shop, and sure enough it still leaked. If I had not checked it out I would have probably found out on my next dive trip, the hard way.
Just one more example of why some divers want more control of their repair process.

ScottZeagle:
I pass on a lot of the info and suggestions (both positive and negative) I get from you guys in our meetings, as I will this one.

I don't know off the top of my head what our liability would be on something like this, to be quite honest with you.

I'm sure there are plenty of capable people who would never have a problem, but if one guy died due to improper service, I'm sure we would be at the top of a lawyers list of people to hold responsible.

I will surely keep you guys posted....

Scott

Then provide classes to general public to teach how to service your equipment, issue a certificate and even make more $$$.

One day I bought I nice Mares MR12 with Orbiter second stage. This is was my first regulator. I made my open water certification dives with it.
When I brought it home I assembled it myself. It took me some time to learn how to put the regulator, octopus and gauges together. I very carefully selected the write wrench. I unscrewed the plugs and put each component at the right port. The was not any scratches or even wrench prints on the parts when I finished.

I made less then 20 dives during 3 years and did not service my rig. But I always took a good care for it. Suck it in the water for 3 hours run the water through the mouse piece. Dry it. My regulator was like new after this 3 years.

3 weeks ago I decided to service my regulator with LDS.

My regulator does not look new any more...
Nickel/chrome plating destroyed in two paces on the first stage where the ports are and core metal exposed. I figured from holding the wrench to close to the body while turning the nut. There is an evidence of using incorrect Allen type hex key (smaller) on the Spring Adjusting Nut and as a result Nickel/chrome plating destroyed. All the nuts (on the hoses) have small and big scratches on them some to the core metal.
This is what I can see visually inspecting the rig. I do not know what is inside.

All the described above will lead to the corrosion of this places where Nickel/chrome plating was destroyed and eventually plating will chip off. If the same exist inside it can lead to the serious malfunction of the regulator. The parts which have Nickel/chrome plating will have to be replaced eventually and I do not think it will be cheap.

Why not to service myself? At least I know how to hold the wrench right way.

FatRob:
I would rather there was no free parts / warranty... let the quality of the original engineering speak for itself... well engineered parts do not need to be replaced

Internal plastic and rubber parts wear and get old over time, regardless of use.

If you had a 10 year old reg that had never been out of the box, it would still need service.

Terry

Web Monkey:
Internal plastic and rubber parts wear and get old over time, regardless of use.

If you had a 10 year old reg that had never been out of the box, it would still need service.

Terry

Many of those parts may still be in working order but it would be best to at least disassemble and inspect. I've seen some very old seats and o-rings that were still OK and other o-rings that looked more like a piece of plastic than a rubber compound. BTW, some of those "plastic" like O-rings were still making unreliable seals so don't just assume it is OK if it doesn't leak.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom