Regulator question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oharag

Reaction score
Okay, I'm new to diving. I have yet to purchase my equipment. I used Scubapro G250 second stage during my OW and AOW classes (I do not remember first stage).

Since getting into diving most everyone I know recommends Scubapro regulators (my instructor - because, "They can be serviced all around the world", my brother who's been diving for 2 years, and the press - Rodale's likes them). My instructor has since clarified his recommendation with, "If I were diving in the Caribbean I would go with Scubapros. If I were diving in cold water at depth I would go with Dive-Rites or Apex's." He says Dive-Rite's regulators are actually made by Apex to DR spec's. My instrcutor said that the guts of both regulators are actually the same. Is this true? He also said DR's reg are much cheaper in cost than Apex's.

What do you guys think of DR's regs?
If I purchased a RG2000 DR reg what would this be comparable to on the Apex side?
What's the deal with this Cold water issue? Are piston style 1st stages more prone to freezing than diaphragm?

Some comments that I heard about the DR reg is that it's easy to clean out the second stage, and that it usually doesn't get as messy as the Scubapros. I like the fact that you can buy DR tuneup kits cheaply, and that DR also supplies a Reg TuneUp manual that can be downloaded. My DR auth dealer stated that Reg TuneUps at the shop cost $40, and parts are free from DR. My instructor dives DR, and likes them alot. He cave dives, and goes to depth (250 - 300 ft). He recently did mention that he may go with an Apex Reg soon because he believes they may actually breathe a little better. He says he doesn't like the swivel on the DR 1st stage. He also commented about Oceanics new regs (I forget which model). He liked the 1st and 2nd stage setups.

Please do not get into "this is better than that" arguements:D I'm focusing my efforts on why I should/should not buy Scubapros over DR. What's the difference between DR and Apex. And what's the difference between a diaphram vs a piston 1st stage (in regards to cold, and dirty environments). No other Reg is on my radar screen at this moment. Sorry.

oharag

PS Look for additional posts on some of my other gear choices. I appreciate and respect your input.

Scubapro's are expensive to service and tend to not hold their setting as well as apeks. You pay for the name on SP's as well. I don't know Dive-Rite's regs as I have only ever serviced one set but I wasn't very impressed and they definitly WERE NOT Apeks. I recommend Apeks, I dive Apeks on my backgs and on all my stage and deco bottles. I also dive them in the Canadian winter.

The TX-100 and ATX200 1st stages are the same, the DST, DS4, US4 and any other apeks diaphram 1st stage is the same inside. The only difference between the 100/200 1st and the other diaphram 1st's is that the 100/200 has a removable HP orifice. All the Apek 2nd's are the same. I particularily like the Apeks because I can tear one down on a rolling boat and still be diving within 15 min. SP's require special tools to put togiether and are difficult to set up easily.

Since Aqualung bought apeks, you are now able to get the lifetime parts warranty on the new Apeks regs through Aqualung.

The Apeks are enviromentally sealed with a second diaphram. The SP piston regs are not. They try to combat cold water with special coatings on the internal parts. Piston regs generally require shims to adjust intermediate pressure, diaphram regs use a screw to adjust I/P and can be fine tuned easier. SP came out with the Mk25 which allows a small adjustment after shimming, but you still cannot get the I/P low enough for my liking.

As for cold water and or dirty diving, where are you using these regs? I consider a cold dive to be one where I have to cut a hole.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

P.S.
By any chance is your instructor a SP dealer?

This regulator debate-ugh.

Many fine models and almost all the major brands are great.

ScubaPro is good but they are so expensive compared to others-and that's the only reason I don't like them.

I like my Poseidon Odin just for it's really cold water performance and the peculiar breathing characteristics-lots of air. I find the side exhaust to be most comfortable.

Many fine regs out there.

Kevin Ripley once bubbled...

The TX-100 and ATX200 1st stages are the same

Not really. The TX100 has slightly different angled ports and the ATX200 has a removeable orfice, the sealing part that the HP seat sits against. If i remember right the TX100 first stage is larger. I use a set of ATX200 on my doubles and really like them.

I sold my scubapro regs(MK20) after i had a freeflow problem in coldwater. My apeks have been flawless.

I also loved my odins until my teammate's 2nd stage locked up and stopped delivering gas. Now there's a good quality in life support equipment. Not to mention a poor HP seat design that is prone to I/P creep to the point that Posiedon had to design a relief valve into the bottom of the first stage to prevent hose ruptures when used with the cyclon.

The TX-100 1st also has the removable orifice, but the ports are angled opposite to the 200. I was referring to the inner workings which are identical. All of the Diaphram 1st's use the same svc kit as do the 2nd's.

I use the 200 on my right post and a DS4/ATX50 on the left. I had an early model 200 that gave me problems in the cold, but it was replaced by aqualung and I havn't had any problems with the newer model. I've used the 100 on my doubles, but prefer the hose routing on the 200 so I moved the 100 to my single tank setup.

Kevin

Kevin Ripley once bubbled...

The TX-100 1st also has the removable orifice, but the ports are angled opposite to the 200. I was referring to the inner workings which are identical. All of the Diaphram 1st's use the same svc kit as do the 2nd's.

Im almost positive that the TX100 doesnt have the removeable orfice. Ill have to dig out my manual to make sure. Its not really that big of a deal unless the orfice gets damaged during a rebuild, then the first stage is wrecked.

I much prefer the hose routing of the atx200 over the tx100. With the atx200 both my caps face in while on the tx100 the caps face out partially blocking the handwheels. I have never heard of that being a problem of not reaching the handwheels with the tx100 though.

This is like cheese or peperoni.
And heres the simple answer, I would go with Apeks or Scubapro. I have Scubapro Mk25/G250Hp and R190, I love every minute of it. Also Dive Rite regulator seem to me like they are made by Zeagle, Im pretty sure they are. Also for regs Leisurepro is the way to go! I just wish I had found it wile I was looking for my equipment.
Good Hunting
Tekkie

Both Apex and Scubapro are good regs.

I'd go with the cheapest of the two. I use Scubapro becasue Apex were not readily available in Australia when I bought my regs.

Does this make sense to you guys?

http://www.divernet.com/equipment/1202regtest.htm

This is a good report, but they say conflicting things about the Apeks. In the "Conclusions" section they rank the ATX200 number two. But in the "Test Results" section they say it free flows, breathes wet, and blows a lot of bubbles into your face. I don't understand why they rank it so high when they identify all those flaws. This report really leans me toward Scubapro or at least away from Apeks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom