Regulator Second Stage Hose Swivel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Atomics come with a swivel, and I believe you can buy their swivel separately. An alternative is to use the new braided hose. I bought one from Divegearexpress.com, non Miflex, and it's really nice and inexpensive. Their brand is softer and less abrasive to the skin than Miflex.

The Atomics come with a swivel, and I believe you can buy their swivel separately. An alternative is to use the new braided hose. I bought one from Divegearexpress.com, non Miflex, and it's really nice and inexpensive. Their brand is softer and less abrasive to the skin than Miflex.

I am not sure that you can buy the Atomic swivel separately. It is always attached permanently to their hose. Does anyone know for sure?

Can you give details on the divegearexpress hose including a link please?

---------- Post added December 15th, 2012 at 05:00 AM ----------

Can anyone document measureable, and meaningful, degradation in regulator performance with a regulator SS Hose Swivel (Links please)?

Years ago when I had my store in NY, I sent a scubapro regulator to scubapro for evaluation on an issue (I don't remember the details now) and one of the comments I received from their tech was that the swivel/elbow that was installed on the LP hose was creating a significant degradation in the performance of the SS. The performance issues were measured with their test equipment. They suggested removing the swivel.

Note that any restrictions and/or sharp bends would definitely create performance issues in gas flow.

I am not sure that you can buy the Atomic swivel separately. It is always attached permanently to their hose. Does anyone know for sure?

Can you give details on the divegearexpress hose including a link please?

Here's a link to their double braided flex hoses:

Double Braided Flexible Hoses for SCUBA - Dive Gear Express

I bought their 5 foot hose and it appears to be nicer than the Miflex hoses I have and at a lower price.

Adam

---------- Post added December 14th, 2012 at 05:13 PM ----------

Looks like the Atomic swivel comes as a unit with a 32 in hose:
Atomic Universal Comfort Swivel Scuba Regulator Hose 02-0095-3P with reviews at scuba.com

I seriously doubt a quality 90/110 degree swivel will degrade performance in any significant way any more than a seven foot long hose would and does. Now put a swivel on the end of a seven foot hose and we might have an issue, otherwise, probably not.

XS Scuba now also makes a very nice swivel elbow and is more available than the Zeagle and equal to it in all ways. In fact, I have been told the Zeagle item is not really available anymore.

N

The fitting for the swivel is permanently attached to the hose. So yes you are buying the complete assembly hose and swivel. That said there are two swivel housings, one for Atomic regs and the other is universal for other regs.

The fitting for the swivel is permanently attached to the hose. So yes you are buying the complete assembly hose and swivel. That said there are two swivel housings, one for Atomic regs and the other is universal for other regs.

Yes, I confirmed this information with Atomic yesterday. You can't get the swivel by itself, you have to get the whole assembly (hose with swivel).

Years ago when I had my store in NY, I sent a scubapro regulator to scubapro for evaluation on an issue (I don't remember the details now) and one of the comments I received from their tech was that the swivel/elbow that was installed on the LP hose was creating a significant degradation in the performance of the SS. The performance issues were measured with their test equipment. They suggested removing the swivel.
Fascinating! Thank you. I would not have expected that, but it is good to know.
Note that any restrictions and/or sharp bends would definitely create performance issues in gas flow.
While I agree that, in theory, I would expect altenations with restrictions or sharp bends, I would not necessarily expect any noticeable effects on the second stage. But, if it can be documented on a test bench, then perhaps the issue is more substantial than I thought.

This is the 70 degree swivel I have been using for like seven or eight years now. O-rings get replaced when the reg gets serviced and have had zero issues. It's attached to Zeagle second stage with a rubber long hose. I don't remember what brand sorry. I did not notice any reduction in breathing ability when I installed it. B

Attachments

• Zeagle 70degree swivel.jpg
    Zeagle 70degree swivel.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 440
I agree with the idea that a 90 or 70 degree angle fitting rather than a swivel is more practical. One of these adapters, together with a longish hose (40 inches) on your primary and routed under the arm, makes a nice alternative to the 5 or 7 foot hangman's configuration. You can find them at Dive Gear Express: HP, LP & BC Hose Adapters and Fittings - Dive Gear Express for just a few bucks, so if it doesn't fit your needs-no big investment loss.

BTW; will this be for your primary, octopus, or other?

Good luck, and please post your findings.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom