Regulator service lubricant choice, Christo-Lube vs silicone lube

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use MCG 111 on all my Apeks regs and they don't really need that much anyway. Therefore a 2oz tube will last for many many yrs.
I don't like silicone grease because it is very difficult to degrease it completely.

Most of my friends use only O2 lube on their rebreathers. I use silicone because it isn't high pressure, even though it can be 100% O2. The only place I use O2 lube is when I service a first stage. And I use it on every first stage, even if it won't be used in high O2 applications. You never know when you might need to swap a reg in a pinch and that's what you have. The amount used for a first is negligible, and I have never had Tribolube gum up the way Crystolube used to. But I go through a lot of lube for my rebreathers and prefer the cost savings of silicone for them.

Mostly silicone. I too have noticed the odd characteristics of the Crystolube and even a grittiness. But I have both and use both. I use the silicone on all of my older regs, Crystolube on the newer ones (of which there are only a couple). N

Tribolube does seem superior to Chrystolube, but IMO neither is as good a lubricant as silicone grease. I have a big tube of Tribolube and I use it for the couple of regulators that I save for high O2 service. The oil in Tribolube tends to separate from the white PTFE carrier. Tribolube is an excellent lubricant and is my preferred choice for high O2 applications.

Again the consistency and lubrication properties of silicone grease are fantastic and they stay the same for decades.

I don't like silicone grease because it is very difficult to degrease it completely.
This is one of the reasons why I prefer silicone grease. I can lubricate an O-ring and it stays well lubricated 10, 20, or even 40 years later. I have bought used vintage regulators that were lubricated with silicone grease back in the 70’s and when I open them, the grease looked and felt as good as new.

I don't find it difficult to clean metal parts that were exposed to silicone grease. O-rings don't need to be degrease, they get replaced.

Not that I don't believe it. The industry uses it for a reason. But it sure doesn't feel like the best lubricant by touch. That is what puzzle me.
The industry also recommends rebuilding regulators far too often, which is absurd (if a regulator is cared for properly). From a mechanical engineering point of view: ” If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.”

If you service your regulator every year or couple of years then it probably doesn’t matter much which lubricant you use (with the exception of cost, but for a first stage that is very little as mentioned by others). I have too many regulators that will not need service for at least a decade or two. For this application, silicone grease is the best lubricant that I found. I have been using silicone grease since the 70's and I just haven't found anything better (and not because I haven't looked).
YMMV

I, too, have too many regs, which I do not service until there is (or seems to be) a problem. I use only silicone grease, although I did try a sample of Tribolube at one point. I do not use high percentages of O2. I have, however, been using EAN since it was called NOAA I and NOAA II (32% and 36%) with silicone lubed regs with no problem.

I Use tribolube for everything just simpler that way.

Wait, sorry for my ignorant. What is Tribolube vs Crystolube differences? I always think they are the same thing just different name.

They are completely different formulations of O2 compatible lube. In fact there are different formulations of Tribolube. Check their website for more info.
As for why manufacturers specify O2 lube, I was told that for rebreathers to get CE certification they must use only O2 lube. Being in the U.S. means CE is meaningless, so just silicone for me except the HP side of first stages. Oh yeah, and a micron or 2 on the SPG spool.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

I remember when the tribolube guy was posting on this forum and even gave a few tubes away as samples; I believe it was a new product about 5 years ago. It does seem to hold up a bit better than Cristolube. When my tribolube is gone, I'll go back to silicone. I bought a MK5 that had what appeared to be an original (or very old) color-coded set of SP o-rings in it, with the ambient chamber packed with silicone. That ambient chamber and piston were in perfect condition, it looked like it had been rebuilt yesterday even though it was likely 20 years or more.

Sorry to bring up an old topic. Recently, my Atomic Aquatic Z3 regulator has been leaking on the 2nd stage swivel joint.

I sent my regulator to a technician to service and he said the joint cannot be saved. So he replaced my hose with a Taiwanese braided hose with a swivel joint. I don't like it because it looks ugly and the swivel is not as smooth as the original one.

I am quite technical orientated. So, I dismentle the old hose and found out the technician didn't even open up the swivel joint and change the oring. I know because the oring is stiff and the greases were dried and solidify. So I intended to just buy a Viton Oring and lube it and reinstall it.

So, regarding the lube. Can i just use the INON silicone grease that I use to lube my camera housing oring to lube the oring on the swivel joint? So far, the highest O2 concentration I've used was 32%. Just for some safety margin, let say 36%.

Is it safe if I use the INON silicone grease that I use on my camera housing?

Thank you in advance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom