Regulator service lubricant choice, Christo-Lube vs silicone lube

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are using relatively low O2 Nitrox (32% or 36%) and that swivel joint is only exposed to low pressure gas (intermediate pressure only), therefore there is really no concern about high pressure oxygen exposure.

I can't speak about the properties or quality of the INON grease. I wouldn't think there is anything toxic in it, but that would be the only concern (not oxygen). Most silicone grease we use say food grade or something similar.

Sorry to bring up an old topic. Recently, my Atomic Aquatic Z3 regulator has been leaking on the 2nd stage swivel joint.

I sent my regulator to a technician to service and he said the joint cannot be saved. So he replaced my hose with a Taiwanese braided hose with a swivel joint. I don't like it because it looks ugly and the swivel is not as smooth as the original one.

I am quite technical orientated. So, I dismentle the old hose and found out the technician didn't even open up the swivel joint and change the oring. I know because the oring is stiff and the greases were dried and solidify. So I intended to just buy a Viton Oring and lube it and reinstall it.

So, regarding the lube. Can i just use the INON silicone grease that I use to lube my camera housing oring to lube the oring on the swivel joint? So far, the highest O2 concentration I've used was 32%. Just for some safety margin, let say 36%.

Is it safe if I use the INON silicone grease that I use on my camera housing?

Thank you in advance.
Yes. The Inon lubricant (white lube in a small white tube blue cap, right?) is not silicone grease, but Tribolube/Cristolube.

Many camera orings are made of silicone, so you cannot use silicone grease on them. That will make them swell and stretch. But a tube of tribolube and use that on almost everything.

ps: your camera housing oring does not need to be lubricated at all. These are mostly static compression rings that don't need to slide over another surface. Rinse them in water to clean, but you don't need to lube them.

Yes. The Inon lubricant (white lube in a small white tube blue cap, right?) is not silicone grease, but Tribolube/Cristolube.

Many camera orings are made of silicone, so you cannot use silicone grease on them. That will make them swell and stretch. But a tube of tribolube and use that on almost everything.

ps: your camera housing oring does not need to be lubricated at all. These are mostly static compression rings that don't need to slide over another surface. Rinse them in water to clean, but you don't need to lube them.
My housing orings are slide in compression and not parallel facr compression.

Meaning the INON grease can be used. thanks mate.

You are using relatively low O2 Nitrox (32% or 36%) and that swivel joint is only exposed to low pressure gas (intermediate pressure only), therefore there is really no concern about high pressure oxygen exposure.

I can't speak about the properties or quality of the INON grease. I wouldn't think there is anything toxic in it, but that would be the only concern (not oxygen). Most silicone grease we use say food grade or something similar.
Thanks.

I just realized it's Silicone grease. So, is it safe to use on the swivel joint??

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20230418_222547.jpg
    20230418_222547.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 33
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom