Regulator Service Training or...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rstofer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I want to learn to service only my regulators - Oceanic Omega IIs. All of the others will be sent out.

So, how do I start? Sure, I know it's a dumb question and I did try the Search box but the results are even dumber...

Are there classes I can take if I am NOT affiliated with an LDS?

I think I can find the tools and perhaps ScubaToys can help with the parts but I'm not sure where to get the service manual.

I have a bunch of regulators to play with. Taking a set for practice is not an issue. I also have a pool where I can test my work without undue risk.

I'm retired and have both the time and money to learn how to do the work. Startup cost is not an issue.

Thanks for any advice you can give (other than send them to the LDS)!

Richard

Servicing regulators really is quite simple. For basic knowledge, I'd start with Harlow's book: Airspeed Press Homepage - Books For Serious Divers. Manuals are helpful to get started but you'll quickly get to a point where all you really need is a schematic, if that. Once you get going, I don't know why you would want to send any of your regs out. If you add a list of the regs you would like to service you might be surprised at how much help you get.

Once you get going, I don't know why you would want to send any of your regs out. If you add a list of the regs you would like to service you might be surprised at how much help you get.

It's a matter of perceived liability. If I work on my regs and they fail, oh well... Kind of like packing your own parachute. But if I worked on any of the others, the cost of failure would be severe.

It turns out that some of the others are DiveRite Hurricanes for which parts and a manual are readily available. But unless I start using one, I won't be servicing them.

Richard

It's a matter of perceived liability. If I work on my regs and they fail, oh well... Kind of like packing your own parachute. But if I worked on any of the others, the cost of failure would be severe.

It turns out that some of the others are DiveRite Hurricanes for which parts and a manual are readily available. But unless I start using one, I won't be servicing them.

Richard

I misunderstood. I thought you were talking about sending some of your regs out. I do mine & my wife's. And I help my dive buddies do theirs. I really think that the biggest potential problem with totally unrestricted parts access is that good independent mechanics would could put a big dent in the LDSs service business, especially those whose major qualification is that they are "authorized" dealers. Many DIYer are just better and more careful that some "professional" techs.

I have ordered the book and downloaded the manuals. I'm not sure I have the correct manual for the first stage but I am pretty clear on the procedures for the second stage. As it turns out, I have plenty of second stages to practice with. One of the damaged units will donate a purge button that I can drill a hole in to allow the second stage to be adjusted while pressurized.

There don't seem to be any special tools required for the 2d stage other than a 5/16" wood dowel. I think I can handle that!

I'll need an IP gauge and a magnehelic but those should be easy to come by.

Thanks
Richard

I have ordered the book and downloaded the manuals. I'm not sure I have the correct manual for the first stage but I am pretty clear on the procedures for the second stage. As it turns out, I have plenty of second stages to practice with. One of the damaged units will donate a purge button that I can drill a hole in to allow the second stage to be adjusted while pressurized.

There don't seem to be any special tools required for the 2d stage other than a 5/16" wood dowel. I think I can handle that!

Thanks
Richard

You'll enjoy regulator work, I'm sure!

I threw together a DIY combination IP gauge/blower nozzle for about $15 (see image below).

Vance Harlow's book will provide plenty of DIY suggestions for tools. Great book!

Have fun! :)

Dave C

IP_Gauge_ACt_M-Cr_R900_PC280002.jpg

Thanks
Richard

the Magnehelic is unnecessary. a sink full of water and a bit more time will do jast as good a job. I made my IP gauge from my automobile craftsman compression gauge.

I would add to your reading list Regulator Savvy, with it and Van's book you will have a good basic understanding of reg operation and service. Scuba Tools - Regulator Savvy Book
Instead of a magnahelic, you can build a manometer for a few dollars. Works just as well, cheap and never needs calibration.

It turns out that I too have a Craftsman compression gauge. I haven't used it in about 40 years but I still have it!

I also ordered the Regulator Savvy book.

The manometer idea is great! I have used them (and magnehelics) for HVAC projects so it shouldn't be too hard to lash something up. I'm sure the books I have ordered will have examples.

Time is not a factor. I won't be doing this for pay...

Richard

Richard

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom