Regulator Service Training or...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it's not too late; ScubaTools has some pretty handy tools too, so if you order from there pay a few extra bucks and get the bullets, spanners, and regulator specific tools that you need with your first order and save on shipping.

couv

Here is a simple manometer I built and use.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/do-yourself-diy/218961-diy-regulator-test-flow-panel.html

And an IP gauge too. Be sure to either include a relief valve on the IP gauge or ALWAYS install a second stage in addition to the IP gauge on a first stage. If there is a problem and the IP goes really high (had one do this today) you will have a LP hose exploding in your face if there is nothing in line to relieve the pressure.

Thanks for the link. I had downloaded those photos earlier. I like your manometer - very professional. I like the hint for the relief valve as well. What pressure does yours pop at? I'm thinking about 200 psi would be good.

Richard

I have a 150psi one which is OK but is it does occasionally relieve and it will scare the dickens out of you if its in your hand. :) When pushing the limit at 145psi it sometimes will start to bleed. If I had to do it over I think I would go with either a 175 or 200.

Since doing the original manometer, I have added food coloring into the water which makes it much easier to read and for my double hose regs I took an old hard straight mouthpiece which had seen better diving days and installed a fitting into it so I can check double hose regs.

I don't think I am going to work on my double hose regulators. I prefer to have Bryan (VDH) do the work.

Richard

Even so, checking IP and cracking and exhaust pressures are the best ways to check on your regs health regardless of the type, single or double hose. If for no other reason than to establish a baseline for its performance. Then if something does not "feel right" you can do some checks to validate the problem.
Bryan does a fine job no doubt but if you're willing to service a USD reg like a Titan or Conshelf the HP stage of a DA, Royal or a Phoenix will be very familiar. A lot of the parts are the same.

I can see the utility of tracking the cracking pressure on the DH regs. Beyond that, off to the shop they go. Maybe I can track IP on the DA and RAM. The Mistral has no IP so nothing to worry about!

I have about cornered the world's market in Omega IIs. I have bought a bunch of them off of eBay so I have plenty to play with. I'm a little short on first stages (just 3) but I may get more as time goes along. For the moment, these are the only regs I want to play with.

I like the manometer idea as it can perform both the 0-3" and -5"-0-+5" functions. Using food coloring to get high contrast is a great idea. I used it many years ago when I worked on HVAC systems.

Richard

How often should I really service my regulators? I know everything states yearly but some people dive hundreds of dives every year and others (like myself) only get to dive once a year (at least I get 2 weeks each year!). My regulators seem fine and I have removed the purge button and looked inside and they look brand new.

I have looked over the service manual for my regs (Zeagle Envoy's) and feel totally confident that I can service them but if they don't really need it, then I am of the opinion that if it aint broke don't fix it!

What inspection/tests should I do to determine if an overhaul is really required for both the 1st stage and 2nd?

THANKS!

How often should I really service my regulators? I know everything states yearly but some people dive hundreds of dives every year and others (like myself) only get to dive once a year (at least I get 2 weeks each year!). My regulators seem fine and I have removed the purge button and looked inside and they look brand new.

I have looked over the service manual for my regs (Zeagle Envoy's) and feel totally confident that I can service them but if they don't really need it, then I am of the opinion that if it aint broke don't fix it!

What inspection/tests should I do to determine if an overhaul is really required for both the 1st stage and 2nd?

THANKS!

Inspection suggestion: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/346813-regulator-inspection-checklist-rev-7-a.html

Hi Romantic,

The nice thing about your Zeagle regs is that rebuild kits are openly available, and they do not require much in the way of "special" tools to rebuild. They are very easy to service.

The link awap posted is a great checklist, and if you perform the simple tests outlined in the checklist you'll have a very good idea for when it is "time" to service your regulators. I perform the tests in the checklist before each dive weekend.

You regulators will eventually need to be serviced, but when depends on the total number of dives, how well you care for them and store them after diving, whether or not the Diving Gods are happy with you, and a little "luck".

My personal experience is that my 1st stages can go many years between services, my 2nd stages not as long.

I'm approaching 5 years for one of my Zeagle Flathead 7 first stages, about the same for a few of my Mares 1st stages and Scubapro 1st stage. My 2nd stages are a bit more finicky, and I've needed to adjust and/or service them a few times during that same period. As an FYI, I bought the Zeagle and Scubapro regs "well used" on ebay.

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom