Regulator source for practice....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

treidm

Registered
Reaction score
I would like to know what suggestions could be offered for finding reg's for testing oneself.

To be specific:
Will be buying 2 books, scuba tools-Regulator Savvy & Vance Harlow's-Scuba Regulator Maintenance and Repair.

My Primary reg is SP Mk25/600

Would like to find cheap, non-working or in bad shape reg's to practice on.
They could be of another type also. In fact would like to have a variety to practice with.

Anyone know of a resource available for this?

Buy an old chrome US Divers, Dacor, or Scubapro regulator on ebay. Tear it down, clean it, study it, put it together, tune it, dive it. Then sell your mk25/600.

Buy a used ScubaPro mk5 off ebay. Being a balanced piston it will be good training for your mk25.

I would like to know what suggestions could be offered for finding reg's for testing oneself...
Would like to find cheap, non-working or in bad shape reg's to practice on.
They could be of another type also. In fact would like to have a variety to practice with.

Anyone know of a resource available for this?
One More Chance Scuba

I've bought hoses and a depth gauge from this guy before. His stuff is is old, used but in good condition. He ships quickly and you get no surprises. I've been tempted to buy some regs from him, but I have enough regs already. His regs range from $30 to $40 per stage. He's got a lot of Dacors and some other less known old discontinued brands. Every now and then he'll have an old ScubaPro but that is very rare.

Buy a used ScubaPro mk5 off ebay. Being a balanced piston it will be good training for your mk25.

What he said.

And while you're waiting on your books, read through this manual:

.....well, the file is too big. I have a MK20/25 repair manual and a few other tidbits you may find interesting. Send me a PM with an email address where you can receive PDF files and I'll shoot them to you.

Last edited:
email shot to you, thanks
....Reid

The ultimate MK20 manual is here: scroll down, lower right hand side. I think Pete Wolfinger, of "Regulator Savvy" fame, wrote it. The MK25 adds a few parts to the seat retainer to adjust the IP, otherwise is identical.

And here's an annotated schematic with standard o-ring sizes.

For me, the MK20/25's are easier to service than the MK5/10 because you don't have to deal with a HP o-ring that's burried deep inside the body.

If you want a comprehensive assortment:

Flow by piston.....Sherwood 2000, Oceanic Alpha, Scubapro MK2, 3.
Balanced piston..... MK5, MK10, Oceanic, Tekna.
Diaphragm 1.....Conshelf, Mares MR12.
Diaphragm 2....USD SEA, Mares MR16, Oceanic DX3 (I think).

2nd stages.

Sherwood Brut, Oceanic Alpha, Mares (any).....unbalanced.
Zeagle (any), Apeks (any), Scubapro BA, G200B and numbers higher......balanced.

All but the last 2 from the 1st stage list and the balanced 2nd stages can be had for less than $40 on eBay...sometimes much less.

... I think Pete Wolfinger, of "Regulator Savvy" fame, wrote it. The MK25 adds a few parts to the seat retainer to adjust the IP, otherwise is identical...

...For me, the MK20/25's are easier to service than the MK5/10 because you don't have to deal with a HP o-ring that's burried deep inside the body.
Pete Wolfinger was the technical service guru for Scubapro for years and wrote the technical service manuals and training materials during that time. He also owned Peterbuilt Tools (Scuba Tools) and designed a large number of specialty tools for a variety of regs.

The piston stem o-ring in the MK 5, Mk 10 etc, is not hard to change, but doing it is something of skill that many new techs lack.

Pete Wolfinger designed an installation tool for the MK 5, MK 10, but I've never really liked it for installing the piston stem o-ring. Instead I prefer to use these:

Parker Seal brass o-ring picks

The curved end of one pick is ideal for removing the o-ring and the soft brass won't scratch the reg body.

Installation is almost as easy. The V-shaped end on the other pick allows you to press the o-ring into the hole initially from the ambient presure side. You then use the straighter pointy end of the first tool to press one edge of the o-ring into the groove and hold it there while you use the rounded end of the other pick to to push it down into place from the seat retainer end of the reg body. It takes about 15 seconds from start to finish and is, in my opinion, a lot easier than using the specialty tool from scubatools.

It is also in my opinion not any harder than the Mk 25, given that you have to assemble the bushings and o-ring on the tool, insert it and then support the stack while you insert the piston - something that is not required in the Mk 5 / Mk 10.

Have to agree with DAAM (not difficult), I find the 5 and 10 easier/quicker to service than the 20/25.

Back
Top Bottom