Regulator sourcing discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have no axe to grind. People bash China and the Chinese over product quality but the Chinese are largely contract manufacturers, they make what is contracted for. If Walmart wants to sell junk, then the Chinese will make it for them. If they want to sell quality then the Chinese will make a quality item.

Someone actually ordered toys with lead paint a few years back?

If you ask to have it as cheap as possible for no safety requirements, they'll do it with the cheapest option (lead paint).

ummmm.... no Harbor Freight does NOT sell our gear. However it has got me thinking....:D

I did and it came up as something else. But I also looked up other product numbers and they came up different also. Either someone when beyond extremes to produce a hoax or Harbor Freight changes product numbers. I suspect it is an older ad and product numbers have changed.

LOL

gee, that's a plan, it sounds like you have given it some thought

Screw Harbor Freight. Go right for a Walmart contract. As soon as the check clears I'm in Bora Bora drinking Singapore Slings.

In my particular experience DoD contracts for a quality product, paying the price commensurate with the expected quality. An extremely disproportionate number of items do not meet the requirements of the contracts, from either China or Turkey. China continues to have serious problems with violations of their own health and safety regulations, lax as they may be. How many recalls for toys painted with lead based paints can you recall. How about the tainted pet treats? What about the baby formula that killed hundreds? Looking from afar, many third world countries do not have a quality culture that can compare with the West. Most third world countries, especially those with strong economies have abysmal records on environmental issues also. From the bit I've learned, many of the wealthy in China have no consideration for their environment, people or government.

if you believe in now regulation and no lawsuit, that is what you end up with. In some highly regulated countries, the mfg that made those unsafe products would have people responsible for it go to jail. But in a deregulated country like the US where nobody would be held accountable for, people's only recourse is the lawsuit.

As for offshore mfg of a whole unit, there are some brands that does in house design and offshore the mfg to some other company, which could be offshore. Then there are the other type where a offshore manufacturer that might have been making it for other brands, decides that they could make their own copycat design and have some other brands put their logo on it. They might not know why certain component requires certain tight tolerance while others does not. We don't know which way Hogs makes their product.

if you want to know how HOG does it just read one of the dozen plus threads I have posted here exactly how I do it. I have hidden nothing.
if you believe in now regulation and no lawsuit, that is what you end up with. In some highly regulated countries, the mfg that made those unsafe products would have people responsible for it go to jail. But in a deregulated country like the US where nobody would be held accountable for, people's only recourse is the lawsuit.

As for offshore mfg of a whole unit, there are some brands that does in house design and offshore the mfg to some other company, which could be offshore. Then there are the other type where a offshore manufacturer that might have been making it for other brands, decides that they could make their own copycat design and have some other brands put their logo on it. They might not know why certain component requires certain tight tolerance while others does not. We don't know which way Hogs makes their product.

if you want to know how HOG does it just read one of the dozen plus threads I have posted here exactly how I do it. I have hidden nothing.

Hey Chris, did you ship me anything yet? My next open circuit class is 5th - 8th November. It would be an an ideal opportunity to take them for a spin.

...................nothing received yet chris?

no nothing yet. I have been oos on most regs since we spoke. Other than Black Friday specials that are coming in next week it will be a couple weeks after before i get some stock. Sales have been really good and getting enough product quickly enough has been a challenge.

Back
Top Bottom