Regulator sourcing discussion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have no axe to grind. People bash China and the Chinese over product quality but the Chinese are largely contract manufacturers, they make what is contracted for. If Walmart wants to sell junk, then the Chinese will make it for them. If they want to sell quality then the Chinese will make a quality item.

In my particular experience DoD contracts for a quality product, paying the price commensurate with the expected quality. An extremely disproportionate number of items do not meet the requirements of the contracts, from either China or Turkey. China continues to have serious problems with violations of their own health and safety regulations, lax as they may be. How many recalls for toys painted with lead based paints can you recall. How about the tainted pet treats? What about the baby formula that killed hundreds? Looking from afar, many third world countries do not have a quality culture that can compare with the West. Most third world countries, especially those with strong economies have abysmal records on environmental issues also. From the bit I've learned, many of the wealthy in China have no consideration for their environment, people or government.

I would imagine it takes some hands-on management from a western manufacturer to ensure third world contractors conform to the required standards. cerich would have more personal knowledge than I.

In my particular experience DoD contracts for a quality product, paying the price commensurate with the expected quality. An extremely disproportionate number of items do not meet the requirements of the contracts, from either China or Turkey. China continues to have serious problems with violations of their own health and safety regulations, lax as they may be. How many recalls for toys painted with lead based paints can you recall. How about the tainted pet treats? What about the baby formula that killed hundreds? Looking from afar, many third world countries do not have a quality culture that can compare with the West. Most third world countries, especially those with strong economies have abysmal records on environmental issues also. From the bit I've learned, many of the wealthy in China have no consideration for their environment, people or government.

I would imagine it takes some hands-on management from a western manufacturer to ensure third world contractors conform to the required standards. cerich would have more personal knowledge than I.

Anybody that believes contract manufacturing offshore is a "set it and forget it" arrangement has no place awarding contract manufacturing. This goes for domestic manufacturing as well. I would not contract the guy in the next building to build me something and not know exactly what is going on at all times.

Makes a lot of sense. First people love deals discounts and coupons and then they complain about the product being a piece of junk because its made in China:)

yep. make sure to use your coupon!

hog now at harbor freight!! :rofl3: hog.jpg

Reactions: Tug
I wish you had posted that before they sold out.

I guess that proves there are some really great buys on high quality gear at Harbor Freight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Between my 77 VW Rabbit and my 84 Fiero the GM was far more reliable and lasted longer. Also my 92 S-10 outlasted my 95 Honda Civic and was much cheaper to repair and required less repairs. I own a 2006 Ford Escape now and except for new tires and a battery it required no repairs.

We did not have that luck in the family.
My father in law' HHR's transmission failed at 5k kms. His wifes equinox failed at few tens of kms.
Our mazda 3 have only seen scheduled maintenance and we sold it at 130k to my brother in law. He is still running it. I sold my 95 Infiniti J30 at 200k and it has seen no repairs other than maintenance. So we had quite the opposite experience :)

That Harbor Freight add is a joke, right?

You can get a 100% oxygen 1st stage regulator for $35 from Harbor Freight.:wink:
Not sure how well it works underwater however. :D It does have user adjustable IP:blinking:

Enough silliness for one night.

LOL>...look up the product number :wink:

I did and it came up as something else. But I also looked up other product numbers and they came up different also. Either someone when beyond extremes to produce a hoax or Harbor Freight changes product numbers. I suspect it is an older ad and product numbers have changed.

I did and it came up as something else. But I also looked up other product numbers and they came up different also. Either someone when beyond extremes to produce a hoax or Harbor Freight changes product numbers. I suspect it is an older ad and product numbers have changed.

LOL....someone photoshopped it :wink: Harbor Freight does not sell Hog regs...Come on AWAP don't tell me YOU of all people fell for that....LOL

Back
Top Bottom