Regulator Swivels, good or bad??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not all swivels are built this way. There is no screw holding 2 parts together on the Atomic Comfort Swivel:

View attachment 816478
True, which is why it is not failure-prone. and why it is expensive; also, it only come with a built-in hose that is either a bit too long -- 32 inches -- (IMO, for over-the-shoulder) or too short (for under the arm).

I was told by one poster that I wasn't allowed to explain why I stopped using a swivel or an elbow and why I found alternatives to reducing jaw fatigue. Anyone who has expressed concern over either swivels or elbows for any reason has been shouted down and even attacked with memes a la The Pub.

Notice that the OP hasn't posted in quite some time. I wonder if, after a page of this nonsense, they decided SB, even in a green zone, is not the place to look for a reasonable conversation or even good advice. That would be a shame.

Those of us who do not live near diving tend to do our diving in chunks rather than in small amounts on a regular basis. We do not get the same amount of time to train in open water with new gear configurations. I would speculate that jaw fatigue is more common in those of use who dive in chunks. A reasonable discussion of pros and cons of various solutions should be able to occur on behalf of someone seeking advice and input.
I can't believe I lost my first internet meme.

On a serious note, this thread shows that sometimes it is not worth to answer even the most basic question. If people do not like the answer, you get all sorts of trash talk. If you ask follow up questions, e.g., "why do you need a swivel?" or "why would you want to dive with someone whose setup is not safe?", you'll get lost is completely irrelevant responses and attacks. And you know, I am completely okay with that.

You can learn scuba lessons through your own experiences, and I hope that your learning curve will be kind to you. Peace~

If you're a big guy, an elbow adds some slack to your long hose. Sharper turn around your neck.

Might try something on my necklace. But does it really matter if my necklace is too long or short? I've used a shorter hose so it hangs centered, but now I don't have full movement.

Perhaps golf for those in constant fear of a failure point, just watch the weather before swinging the grounding rod around.

Failure points aren’t just about problem and safety underwater. It’s about not having to end or miss a dive because something you didn’t really need broke.

Failure points and what you "need" or don't "need" are relative terms and I really wish folks would stop using them as definitive items. We dive with many items that we don't "need", but it sure makes diving more enjoyable. For most divers, it is for recreation, so to advise that they don't "need" something because of a perceived or possible failure point is really ridiculous. I can poke holes in the "need" for some of the DIR kit, because most of it is designed for cave diving, but cave diving is very limited in most recreational diving locations, but in those areas with limited caves there is a large DIR following that swears a long hose is "needed". I am not against a long hose, I use one, but is it "needed". So, swivels, noise makers, jacket BCs, and all other other items that are deemed not "needed" are all preferences to allow us to dive for enjoyment. The majority of divers are not technical, so please don't dismiss one product because it doesn't fit your type of diving whether actual or perceived. So, when someone asks how to assemble a pony, don't tell them it is a bad choice or it isn't "needed". If it isn't what you use, let someone who uses one explain how to configure it, just that simple.

The only real reason that I use a long hose, is because it's more flexible, easier on my jaw. It routes as nicely as a 40" under my arm. But more slack.

Everyone assumes I'm being techy.

I use a 5' long hose because I like it around my neck, can't loose it anymore. I also prefer a primary donate and necklaced short hose alternate. It is about comfort and enjoyment.

A slightly longer hose can help. also a hose of softer, more flexible material can help.
The fixed elbow is more reliable than the swivel. The 110-deg elbow is quite nice to use.
Yes. 110 degrees elbow is the way.

Just concluded a dive vacation last fortnight. I have a 90deg elbow swivel that I did not use with my long hose configuration for the entire trip (left it in my regulator bag). And then each time I practiced a primary donate - my regulator free-flowed until I poked it in the mouthpiece. Because somewhere in the process the purge button was facing down as soon as I began donating.

So I concluded that having the swivel would be a good thing because as soon I pull the regulator out of my mouth it is easy to tip the mouthpiece facing down due to the swivel with a simple flex of the wrist rather than moving the elbow out to initiate that action (maybe I was doing the drill wrong in the first place - I think I missed a micro-movement in the first step to raise my elbow high as the reg comes out of the mouth)…

Edit: I just added the elbow joint and practiced some moves - I can angle the regulator mouthpiece down sooner with than without the swivel joint - even before my elbow is out and high.

I kept forgetting to add it back in my gear configuration after each diving day until it was too late on the boat the next day on this trip but I plan to make it a standard part of my long hose configuration going forward.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom