Regulator Swivels, good or bad??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does going with a longer hose help or hinder if I'm having problems with my regulator wanting to pop out of my mouth?

Does going with a longer hose help or hinder if I'm having problems with my regulator wanting to pop out of my mouth?
It may do either depending on the routing of your hose and the flexibility of it. A 110/70° elbow which has been argued ad nauseum above, along with a longer hose, would help alleviate the problem imo.

A 110/70° elbow which has been argued ad nauseum above, along with a longer hose, would help alleviate the problem imo.

Can you elaborate more please? It hasn't been covered enough on SB :p

I can angle the regulator mouthpiece down sooner than without the swivel joint - even before my elbow is out and high.
Were you grasping the hose with knuckles toward your cheek (as if punching yourself) when you didn't have the hose elbow? I've seen that free flow rather easily. You might try it with your palm facing your cheek. The mouthpiece immediately faces downward via forearm rotation, rather than chicken winging your elbow.

Failure points aren’t just about problem and safety underwater. It’s about not having to end or miss a dive because something you didn’t really need broke.
Not all failure points are equal in: likelihood of failure, consequences of failure, benefits resulting from the presence of the failure point (ie. the presence of a regulator results in benefits that significantly outweigh the failure points it adds, I'm not going to eliminate regs from my kit). Furthermore, for each failure point, each of these vary depending on the type of diving being done. A failure that could be fatal at the back of a cave could be trivial on a vacation reef.

A one size fits all "failure point = bad" evaluation of anything is intellectually lazy.

Yes, but first you must sell all your SP gear and replace it with 100% Hollis from fins to face mask and everything in between.

Hahahahaha, you won't believe how much equipment I have from Hollis; BC's, boltsnaps, wetsuits, etc. I am like consumer reports center here. (no regulators however)

Back
Top Bottom