Regulator Swivels, good or bad??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I switched to a 40" Milflex hose (I have have been told by my LDS owner that the swivels haven't been holding up). Milflex hoses much more flexible than traditional hoses. If you are getting jaw fatigue I suggest a mouth piece that can mold to the shape of your mouth.
I have a moldable mouthpiece on my primary; very comfortable.. But I intend primary donate.
is this a ;problem for a recipient of "my" mouthpiece?

I have a moldable mouthpiece on my primary; very comfortable.. But I intend primary donate.
Yes. They will most likely gag when they receive it.
Moldables typically have longer bite wings for a more secure fit.
You don't notice them when molded to your bite, but if it doesn't align with your teeth, they stay centered and hit the back of your tongue or cheeks and has a tendency to trigger a gag reflex.
Primary donate is great and I am a proponent of it, but there are other considerations besides personal comfort.

Wouldn't the addition of swivels also add new potential failure points?

For $10 you can make your reg sit comfortable with whatever hose you have. Over 100 dives with these on all my regs and they haven't showed any sign of leaking or failure. The swivel feature is awesome

Screenshot_20231207_094043_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Your real issue is the hose length. A 40” hose under the arm with a 70deg adapter is really good. 7’ hose is also fantastic.

Ball type swivels aren’t great. Pass on that and move to a better hose config.

I too dive primary donate with a custom molded mouthpiece, and highly recommend moldable mouthpieces to those who experience jaw fatigue, gag issues, those who just can't get comfortable with standard mouth pieces, and/or just as a solid step up from the standard market offerings.

I think most people (perhaps all people) when faced with the possibility of drowning at depth will make whatever mouthpiece put in their hands/face work. My bet is that in the moment of crisis they won't even notice the mouthpiece unless it is mentioned to them in a post dive debrief. When you're out of air, any option is a good option....this is the epitome of "beggars can't be choosers".

-Z

For $10 you can make your reg sit comfortable with whatever hose you have. Over 100 dives with these on all my regs and they haven't showed any sign of leaking or failure. The swivel feature is awesome

View attachment 814529
I agree, it is much lighter than the ball type swivel and it takes care of the maintenance issue, just throw it out at an interval that makes you comfortable and put a new one on.

Wouldn't the addition of swivels also add new potential failure points?

Two: one in the swivel and the other when you climb the ladder, spit out the reg, and it hits the deck (because of the longer hose).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom