Regulator tune up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hitdbeach

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,
Time for my regulator to be checked out after year one and about 50 dives. Is it important to have a basic working knowledge of what goes on during a tune up? I'm not sure what I'd be hoping to learn or what I should look for, but it also seems like I'm trusting the dude to not forget an O ring or a jillion other things that could be missed during the check up. Any advice of anything to look for....or just chill out and hope the guys got it right.

I'm not sure what you mean by "tune up". Is there something wrong with the regulator's operation that can be cured by adjustment?

Alternatively, if you mean getting the regulator serviced then no there's no real need to know what processes are involved but getting a recommendation for a service tech that knows what they're doing from a buddy who has used them previously is a great idea.

You might want to know what goes on for your own information though, in which case I suggest you get hold of Vance Harlow's book

SCUBA REGULATOR MAINTENANCE AND REPAIR by Vance Harlow

TBH though, if the regulator is still performing normally after only fifty dives in a year I probably wouldn't get it serviced this year unless I had to to maintain warranty status.

First: What brand are you using?
Most brand say service interval must be every year while some others have a 2 year Policy.
Then, usually, the first service is a check of the reg and parts/o-ring condition and if all good, nothing is replaced. If an issue, the part/o-ring is replaced.
Ensure your LDS is certified on your brand to ensure you will not void your manufacturer warranty :wink:

the first service is a check of the reg and parts/o-ring condition and if all good, nothing is replaced. If an issue, the part/o-ring is replaced.
:wink:

That is NOT a service and anyone charging you for the privilege of "checking o-rings" is ripping you up for arse paper

I agree with the above. Don't fall into the "Keep up your warranty" trap.

Service frequency and so called free parts:

If you do buy new and you're determined to keep the useless and expensive warranty intact, of course you must follow the manufactures suggested service interval. However, whether or not you want to keep the useless and expensive warranty intact, learning to check your equipment is very important and will help YOU determine if your equipment needs servicing. See this link for a set of checks everyone is capable of and should be doing: Regulator Checklist and Inspection Sticky: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/346813-regulator-inspection-checklist-rev-7-a.html

Good luck,

Couv

That is NOT a service and anyone charging you for the privilege of "checking o-rings" is ripping you up for arse paper

I didn't talk about being charged. Just talk about recommended service interval of you want keep you reg insert warranty.
BTW, I've never been charged if no parts were replaced.

What manufacturer requires yearly service these days? I thought they all went to 2 years.

What manufacturer requires yearly service these days? I thought they all went to 2 years.

Or three. And no reputable manufacture would make warranty coverage contingent on service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom