Regulator wheezing - apeks xtx 200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agree with the above statements, not an issue once you start blowing bubbles.

either needs more christolube/tribolube or the main spring is vibrating and just needs a spacer or to be flipped. since it hasn't been used in a while, more likely the lube issue.

It was coming from the second stage whilst breathing out of the water, and it definitely didn't do it on any other time in have used them. I didn't notice a noise from the 1st stage either and couldn't say if it was doing it or not whilst submerged

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to get them serviced before using them again rather than test to see if it makes the noise in or out of the water

-Daniel

It was coming from the second stage whilst breathing out of the water, and it definitely didn't do it on any other time in have used them. I didn't notice a noise from the 1st stage either and couldn't say if it was doing it or not whilst submerged

It's normal, sometimes happens, sometimes doesn't. If getting it looked at makes you feel better do that, but from what you describe "sounds" (pun unintended) fine.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to get them serviced before using them again rather than test to see if it makes the noise in or out of the water

-Daniel

Don't bother, just use them. If you're really nervous about it, fill up the tub, stick your head in and take a few breaths. You might want to video it for posterity. Or just try the sallow end of a pool.

The issue is that when you breathe through them, moving air causes the 2nd stage diaphragm to vibrate, which then produces a sound, just like wind musical instruments. Think of it as either a really bad saxophone or a really expensive kazoo. As far as dive safety goes, if the regulator does these three things: 1) flows air with normal effort, and 2) does not leak bubbles when pressurized underwater, and 3) holds vacuum, meaning you can't draw any air with the reg attached to a tank and the valve off, then it's almost certainly working fine and safe to use.

One other thing, I'm sure you're a safe diver, which means you always have a means of getting air in the event your regulator stops working during a dive, correct? Buddy, access to the surface, or an alternate air source could all be those means. So a non-functioning regulator is no cause for alarm, correct? Just an inconvenience.

Yep regs are tuned for underwater use. The correct predive procedure is get in the water, put your head underwater and test it for air and leaks. Then test your secondary the same way. Testing on dry land simply means you have air in the tank, and maybe turned on.

Back
Top Bottom