Regulators - Carry On or checked bag?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dman

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone know if the new regulations let you carry on your regulator? The last trip I went on I checked them through because the gal at the counter said they would not let me bring them through security. But a guy on the same flight had his in a carry on! Those who have traveled recently, please let me know.

I was down in florida last month, and I carried my regs, camera and computers in my carry on bag.
I checked the wings and mask and fins.
Jim Breslin

Regs, computer, gauges and mask go in carry-on along with my camera and housing. Just returned 2 weeks ago from Bonaire. Some TSA agents don't know what they are and will open the bag while others let them go right through. No problems either way.

Regulators, instruments and mask go in the carry-on for me. It's common practice and may elicit an inspection at worst.

If you keep your ant-fog in your mask case remember to put it checked luggage or your 3-1-1 bag.

Pete

I like to carry my regs computer and BC and any camera equipment as carry on. I can deal with losing my clothes but having my diving equipment stolen by some luggage checker looking for a quick buck would be a major setback.
I have a smaller dive bag (land and sea) that I carry on trips its basically a trimmed down version of my large subsalve bag.

Anyone know if the new regulations let you carry on your regulator? The last trip I went on I checked them through because the gal at the counter said they would not let me bring them through security. But a guy on the same flight had his in a carry on! Those who have traveled recently, please let me know.

Wrong... Always carry your regulator and your dive computer on with you. They are life support equipment. If you check it and it gets slightly damaged, there's no recourse and you might not know it. Also theft is still a risk as well.

As the airlines say, "Don't check medicines or other valuables." If my regulators and dive computer don't count as "valuable" and "life support", then boo hoo on them.

I generally carry on things that are difficult to replace, including my U/W camera too. I also travel with my dive light if I can manage it as well. I've been known to pack clothes, toilet kit, wet suit, fins and snorkel... carry everything else on including my prescription mask (again hard to replace).

Dave

Add me to the "regs, computers, camera in carry-on bags" group.
The rest of the gear is in "checked" baggage.

you can still carry on your reg and computer. I do not trust the baggage handling to keep my reg safe. some airlines will want to see you cert if you have a dive knife in your check in. Here is the TSA link.

TSA: Transporting Scuba Equipment

I never carry regs on. I carry on cameras, dive computers and laptop. The housing gets checked along with everything else. Just pack carefully and you should not have a problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom