Reigning most popular BCD line?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tennessee Slim

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I know this is an over-broad question but the divers I’m surrounded by are mostly Euros -- Dutch at that -- and their choices in dive gear tend to be Mares, Bare, Mares, Cressi, Bare and Mares (in that order). Not only do I figure I can get a more ‘international’ perspective here, I know that sometimes a particular product will be overwhelmingly successful and/or popular and I figure I can get the straight skinny here.

In the last couple of days I’ve sifted through a number of older “BCD advice” posts and there seems be a loose consensus that the Oxycheq BCD is the bees’ knees for tech divers and the Zeagle is da shizznit for sport divers. Realizing that there won’t be complete agreement with that statement, does that sum it up …sorta?

If it makes a difference, I've decided to replace my nearly 25-year-old Scubapro stab jacket. I'm a warm water-only Rescue diver, on track to make about 200 dives a year and with no current plans to do tech stuff.

Strange, but I was in Cozumel a couple of weeks ago and saw two Dutch divers (recreational/sport) with Halcyon gear in a non DIR setup.

I dive with oxycheq.

You pay your money & you take your choice.
I've never seen such a thing as the perfect BC that will suit everyone.
We're all different shapes and sizes and unless you go onto the dark side and drink the Kool-aid we all have our personal preferences.
In my family of 3 we have 2 Mares, an Aqualung, a Cressi and a Tigulio.
They were all chosen for individual specific reasons.

In the last couple of days I’ve sifted through a number of older “BCD advice” posts and there seems be a loose consensus that the Oxycheq BCD is the bees’ knees for tech divers and the Zeagle is da shizznit for sport divers. Realizing that there won’t be complete agreement with that statement, does that sum it up …sorta?

Don't confuse the opinions of SB posters to be reflective of the opinions of divers in general. Any website attracts a handful of vociferous posters and 70,000 odd lurkers. I'm guessing that if you go back through all the posts you read, you'll find that you probably read the same comments of a half dozen people, each posted several hundred times.

Nothing against Oxycheq or Zeagle. In fact I own an Oxycheq wing. But I've been diving all over the US plus the Carribean, am a crewmember on a very active dive boat, and DM at a very active quarry with people from two dozen or so shops. The only Oxycheq wing I've ever seen in person is mine. I think I may have seen one Ranger BCD.

Now that having been said, as you may remember from another recent thread in the ABC forum I will be in Curacao in three weeks. Will have my Oxycheg Mach V wing with me, so if you want to see one first hand let me know. At minimum we can hook up for a beer and talk about diving. Worst case, maybe we actually go diving together!

Ray

The one I see most around here is the Zeagle Ranger. That may be because it is a Florida company. These are premium-priced, but it looks like people choose to pay it.

I had a look at the metal backplate unit in High Springs a couple of weeks ago. It is similar to the device that Scubapro brought out in the 1970's. The problem of floating face-down has been eliminated (I was told).

Anyway around Central and South Florida, that Ranger appears to be the diver's choice.

I have a Zeagle ranger and I LOVE it. The only problem is that after 2 years and 100 dives, it just fell apart! All the stitching started to fail and because of the stitch style they use, the minute you have a thread that breaks, it starts to "run" and unravel. I tried to slow down the deterioration by lathering the seams with wet suit cement, and it worked for a while, but ended up with a sticky BC that had black blotches every were. It has been in the closet for 3 years now. I trued to claim warranty on it but since I tried to fix it myself the shop told me I had nulled the warranty. That's my own dumb fault. A $600 BC that lasts 100 dives, that just doesn't sound right. I guess I don't love my Zeagle after all!

I have a Zeagle ranger and I LOVE it. The only problem is that after 2 years and 100 dives, it just fell apart! All the stitching started to fail and because of the stitch style they use, the minute you have a thread that breaks, it starts to "run" and unravel. I tried to slow down the deterioration by lathering the seams with wet suit cement, and it worked for a while, but ended up with a sticky BC that had black blotches every were. It has been in the closet for 3 years now. I trued to claim warranty on it but since I tried to fix it myself the shop told me I had nulled the warranty. That's my own dumb fault. A $600 BC that lasts 100 dives, that just doesn't sound right. I guess I don't love my Zeagle after all!

Don't take your LDS opinion as the gospel. I encourage you to contact Scott Zeagle here on the manafacturers forum and tell him what happened, maybe he can help you. BTW I have a ten year old Ranger with over 500 dives on it, and it's still in great shape, never heard of the stitching coming loose. :palmtree: Bob

RJP, your post puts me in mind of the old joke that goes something like “Eat poop. Ten billion flies can’t be wrong.” I’ve shopped at the usual suspects on the island and nothing is bowling me over so I’m looking for feedback about stuff I can get online. The choices here are pretty limited. If there’s a Zeagle dealer, f’rinstance, he’s well-hidden.

If I haven’t already struck the blow by then, I’ll take you up on the offer of checking out the Mach V. Beer’s on me, BTW (so long as you ain’t hankering for that god-awful Venezuelan stuff).

I have a Zeagle Ranger and an Oxycheq Mach V, they're both awesome products. They are both very prevalent in this area.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom