Relegated to the back of the dive group

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Update. We will be using another dive op. One of the guys in our group was recently in Roatan. He was unsatisfied with the dive times being limited to 45 minutes. I have to admit that I was chicken$hit to address the issue. The main reason being that I was invited to join the group, and didn't want to make waves. Second, the leader of our dive group is friends with the dive op. I am just glad that I can look forward to a different experience.

I am deeply appreciative for all the feedback to my inquiry. There were a lot of interesting points and suggestions. I think that I have been hung up on the group dynamics since we initially started diving in Cozumel and with the currents, there was a greater emphasis on keeping the group near and close by. It seems that I have only been familiar with just my husband and I shore diving or diving in groups without fanning apart-not much in between. So much information to consider. At least I now know what is an appropriate reaction when a DM tells me to guide from the back of the group.

Just out of curiosity, one question that I haven't seen raised (and I've never been to Roatan, so I really don't know) but are these dives in which you are required to follow the guide or ones which a guide is provided if you choose to follow the guide?

I have been on many dives where the dive site briefing is given and then the DM asks "So, who is coming with me?"
Do you have the option say "I think my buddy and I will do our own thing this dive." and not go with the guide?

Most dive ops here want you to stay with the DM. The thought process is that the DM will keep idiots off the reef, at least that is Roatan Marine Park's official line. Once your DM gets to know you the good ones treat good divers like grown ups and allow you to do your own thing as long as you come up with the group so the schedule is not blown.

To the OP I would have a conversation with the shop manager.

ChillyinCanada- West End Divers is our favorite shop when we dive out of West End.

Update. We will be using another dive op. One of the guys in our group was recently in Roatan. He was unsatisfied with the dive times being limited to 45 minutes. I have to admit that I was chicken$hit to address the issue. The main reason being that I was invited to join the group, and didn't want to make waves. Second, the leader of our dive group is friends with the dive op. I am just glad that I can look forward to a different experience.

I am deeply appreciative for all the feedback to my inquiry. There were a lot of interesting points and suggestions. I think that I have been hung up on the group dynamics since we initially started diving in Cozumel and with the currents, there was a greater emphasis on keeping the group near and close by. It seems that I have only been familiar with just my husband and I shore diving or diving in groups without fanning apart-not much in between. So much information to consider. At least I now know what is an appropriate reaction when a DM tells me to guide from the back of the group.

Pretty much every shop here is going to limit you to 45 minute dives. I know one shop only that will do longer dives in West Bay, but he only takes a max of 6 divers

I have a trip to Turquoise Bay this year. I'm hoping the dives are not limited to 45 minutes. Anybody out there dive with Subway Watersports there recently?

Pretty much every shop here is going to limit you to 45 minute dives. I know one shop only that will do longer dives in West Bay, but he only takes a max of 6 divers
Interesting. I wonder why more dive ops do not let you dive your air instead of enforcing rigid time constraints. Several years ago we used Octopus Dive School in Sandy Bay. They were wonderful, plus we were able to dive our air/profile. Too bad Sandy Bay is so far from where we will be staying, otherwise I would return to them in a minute!

Just checked my logs from Anthony's Key last May. Out of 17 dives (one week of diving) I only had two dives shorter than 1 hour. Both were wrecks with max depths of over 100 ft.. In my book that's not too bad considering they try to keep to a schedule for meals etc.. Guess it depends on who you dive with.

The above said...I am (almost always) the first off the boat. :dork2:

Last edited:
I have a trip to Turquoise Bay this year. I'm hoping the dives are not limited to 45 minutes. Anybody out there dive with Subway Watersports there recently?

Last April. There was a limit: 60 minutes or 500 psi. We'd typically mill around the anchor at the end of a dive and were probably over 60 minutes a few times there. Plus as I recall the at 1st day briefing it was said they won't mind if you surface with less than 500 psi provided the DM's seen you breathing down the tank at SS depth -- but with the time limit I don't think anyone on our boat ever came up with < 500. They do write down dive time, max depth, and SPG reading after each dive.

Interesting. I wonder why more dive ops do not let you dive your air instead of enforcing rigid time constraints. Several years ago we used Octopus Dive School in Sandy Bay. They were wonderful, plus we were able to dive our air/profile. Too bad Sandy Bay is so far from where we will be staying, otherwise I would return to them in a minute!

There is logistics involved: the boat has to get there, everyone in the group and esp. DM who's diving 24/7/365 needs to get proper SI, the boat needs to be back for lunchtime, and so on. If you're hiring a boat for a single tank dive, just the two of you, that's different and the limit then may well be when does the crew decide you've drowned and it's time to call the coast guard.

I wouldn't like this thread to become polemic, but the main reason why I keep on going to Bonaire year after year is just because I can't stand operators in Central America (particularly Mexico) imposing that you follow the DM as is everyone in the dive is doing a DSD. I get so frustrated by that, I understand that the need to asses somehow your proficiency and some silly local law imposes that a DM needs to be in the water, BUT:

- They can't just put you in the tail of a group because you need to "help" them
- They shouldn't ask you to follow their trail and dive at the pace of other divers (the bigger the group, the worse)
- They definitely should separate the groups per experience and dive objective
- The DM should be taking care of the divers while they are AT FREEDOM to dive around the site according to their knowledge, and if 1 DM is not enough, then put 2 to comply with your stupid law.

I have nothing against diving with people that is not experienced or that only do 4 dives a year, at all, I'm against the operators that make the charter behave as the less common denominator.

Maybe I had bad luck with them... I don't know... (I've heard great things about CocoView in Roatan, I'll give them a try)

Cheers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom