Relegated to the back of the dive group

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A lot of excellent points and advise. Just to clarify that I only use a point and shoot camera. My husband is not at all patient. If I were to spend too much time photographing a subject, he would fire me as his dive buddy. There were times my husband and I would fan out to the side, but each time the DM would signal us to get back in line(at the end of it of course!). Since these friends invited us along on this trip, I would feel a little dickish using another dive op. A few years ago we used Octopus Dive School up in Sandy Bay and they were awesome! Since we are staying in West Bay, it is too far to trek up there every day. I am not comfortable name the dive op since a person in our group is good friends with them. It's time to put on my big girl pants and communicate with the dive op that I would prefer another DM. Thanks again for all the comments and varying points of view.

Tell the dive op that you've done your share of tailgate duty. If they won't promise (in writing might be a good idea) to respect that it's no longer your turn to be the tail, vote with your wallet and take your business elsewhere. Nothning wrong at all about being calm and polite, but firm; it's your money, your decision. You are doing the business a favor when you point out the things they need to improve.

A lot of excellent points and advise. Just to clarify that I only use a point and shoot camera. My husband is not at all patient. If I were to spend too much time photographing a subject, he would fire me as his dive buddy. There were times my husband and I would fan out to the side, but each time the DM would signal us to get back in line(at the end of it of course!).

I think I'd rather feel dickish topside that strained underwater, but then I'm a 50yo arrogant male a-hole so I feel entitled to be a bit of Richard.

I've a SeaLife, it's pretty much a point'n'shoot and it still takes time to position myself for a shot, check/set the white balance etc. My wife often swims out further than best buddy practices would have it while I'm at it, and then I get to catch up. So far we never had a DM make an issue out of any of it.

It's amazing what it does to my SAC when she decides to sit one out and I don't take the camera.

:wink:

An expensive way to opt out is to take a private photography class: lose the silters, PLUS get an instructor that will show you where some good critters are hiding! You will not regret the money with the photos that you will get with a local photographer helping.

If you think rubbing the dive shop the wrong way might put you crossways with your dive friend, then voice your concerns to your friend and let them use their inside track with the dive op to work it out. If that doesn't work out then at least you've voiced your concern to your friend and they'll see first hand (and should understand) why you would prefer a different dive op. I would prefer to be straight up with the op, but I can see you have a mitigating circumstance. If you want to keep your dive friend, you may have to compromise at this locale and choose a different destination for your next trip. Kind of depends on how good a friend your friend is. Good luck.:)

Never happened to me. Where I dive, you are diving on your own - eventually with a guide - when you are qualified to do so.
Of course you have to respect your training limitations - depth, deco, overhang, cave.....

If you are not qualified for this particular dive - depth is the most frequent limitation - , you must pay an extra fee, in order to be led and supervised during this dive. The cost is generally $ 5 extra for it.

Years ago, I walked out of a dive operation and crossed the road (West End, Roatan). I was happy, my buddy came with me without being asked or expected to do so, dm was pissed for the entirety of my stay in West End and for many return trips after. The dive operation owner apologised to me everytime she saw me. It's all on the dm and sometimes I wonder if he reflects back on that period and realizes why/how he was wrong and why I walked on him.

Sometimes you just do what you have to do.

Myself, not being a photographer, I deliberately started dropping to the back of the pack on almost all of my dives. I got so tired of being kicked in the mask or other places by the speedster that had to see everything first and 'fastest'. Yes, I do have to contend with a little silt in a swim through now and then. But most of the time, I'm happily dawdelling along seeing many things that no one else saw.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, one question that I haven't seen raised (and I've never been to Roatan, so I really don't know) but are these dives in which you are required to follow the guide or ones which a guide is provided if you choose to follow the guide?

I have been on many dives where the dive site briefing is given and then the DM asks "So, who is coming with me?"
Do you have the option say "I think my buddy and I will do our own thing this dive." and not go with the guide?

It was my experience that we follow the guide, though based on your skills and experience there was flexibility with regard to a buddy pair not having to stick too close. Needed to be in sight, not so far away as to inconvenience the schedule etc. I dove with a few different shops before I happily settled in with West End Divers for a number of years.

The above does not apply at Cocoview, though Doc is certainly the better person to discuss their policies with you.

Back
Top Bottom