Relegated to the back of the dive group

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would let the group go on without me and enjoy the dive. Once the DM realizes you "can't" keep up maybe he/she will promote your successor.

I think there is at least one swim-through on Roatan where you better know where to turn. Might have to choose between "can't" keep up and don't want to get lost. :wink:

Hmm. I know i will comment against most posts here. I don't think it's the divemaster's job to teach a bouycany class to the other divers so they don't silt up the spot so you can take pictures. From the way i read the post your "group " has the beginers that are silting things up. You should talk to your group before the trip abiut thier skills. The choice is really yours to make with whom you dive with. If it is others on the boat ND your. It happy choose another boat.

In Panama I dived 4 days just me and the DM. The 5th day there were several others. Me and my instabuddy were asked to bring up the rear. The DM (we were friends by now) said he wanted me there because he knew he didn't have to worry about me (and therefor, I guess, my instabuddy). He didn't ask me to keep an eye out for problems others in the "line" may have. Sounded legit to me. Could this be the case here? Did the DM actually ask that you be an assistant, or did he just feel he wouldn't need to be as close to an experienced diver? We seem to be getting into the "paid work"/"liability" thing often discussed, and I don't know if that is relevant. Either way, as a photographer it doesn't make sense to patronize the op again since it has happened more than once.

I think realistically if you want to take your time taking pictures in the swimthroughs while the water's clear, you have to hire a private DM and go without a group.

We actually booked one extra day over the standard "package" so on that extra day the shop's (Subway Watersports) manager (Darren) drove us over to the south side and we dived just the three of us. No extra charge (i.e. standard package rate for a day of diving) for couple of extra nice dives. I expect OP's dive op will be happy to arrange something, too, given enough incentive and advance notice.

Pull your gear, preferably brand new and all matching make and colors, out of your bag in the wrong order. Put your reg on the tank backwards. Wear a lot more weight than you really need. Act klutzy and drop something not valuable on the deck and then when you go to pick it up accidentally drop it overboard. Say things like " I've only been on a boat a couple times before. I hope I don't get sea sick like I did all the other times".
Make sure the DM sees and hears all this. Problem solved! You will no longer be stuck in the back of the pack. You will be right up front. The DM may even want to hold your hand.

I don't do file in a line group dives. Have done 2 in St. Thomas many years ago. Since then I just hire a private DM or they are there is a guide floating along, you have a 100 ft of viz, keep somewhere in view of the guide. (Cayman and West Palm) Even a group of 8 sounds terrible to me. Most dives are you and buddy come back in an hour.

Perhaps you and your friend should use different dive op.s.

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom