Relief valve on drysuits, do you or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't have one! The need to put another place to leak in my drysuit doesent thrill me! When we have long dive's my group goes the other route! DEPEND'S not pretty but contains things an you don't have to worry about that damm catheter comming off or disconecting. Little embarising when you have to buy them but gotta do what ya gotta do.

wouldn't think of not having one now that I do. If you are having any problems with the catheters try the Rochester Wide Bands.

I would think that whether or not a pee valve is worthwhile depends alot upon what kind of diving you do. If you are a "recreactional" diver (for lack of a better term), and are generally under for an 1 to 1.5 hours, then why bother? If you are going to be doing tech dives with 4 hour profiles, then hooking up a catheter or putting on the depends makes sense.

I've got a zipper in my suit because I'm occasionally working in it all day, but never under for more than an hour or so. I can't say I like the zipper, but it is better than getting out of the suit to pee.

I also have a relief zipper and so far have not had an issue with needing to go real bad. Over 50 dry suit dives now and have just went into tech training. So far even on 1 hour dives in cold(39 degree) water it has not been an issue. WHat I do though is take a suggestion that Lynn (TS&M) made awhile back and eat something salty before the dive:wink:. Salt slows urinary output even while staying properly hydrated and so far this has worked. Longest I've been in my suit is 3 hours without having to go. Not one dive but 2 with a decent interval. Ate 2 99 cent bags of chips before suiting up with a 20 oz bottle of water and had no problem. I am however contemplating getting one and installing it just for when I start doing those dives with super long decos. Have considered the diaper route but find it distasteful at this point. Have not actually tried it but I might just to see. BIggest issue with either is developing the discipline to control the flow. Would not want a blowout:no. There's a great thread over on the deco stop about this. I'm not sure how to link to it but I can't post the contents here. It's a little to graphic for SB:D.

There's a great thread over on the deco stop about this. I'm not sure how to link to it but I can't post the contents here. It's a little to graphic for SB:D.

Was reading (& added to) yesterday. Almost peed myself right here in front of the puter reading it.:D

when I ordered my drysuit a couple years ago I did not order a P valve. Thinking about it, I called DUI and added it. I like to drink lots of fluid, so I need to relieve my self often. The odd thing is when I'm diving, its almost like I drank beer... I'll drink one bottle, but expel a 6 pack! A nice dive is always nice time, but add relieving yourself twice on the same dive and it becomes a great dive. I will admit that the first couple of times you use the valve, its unnerving! You're concentrating on feeling the tubing move around in your suit and trying to feel if you are getting wet...

No, like somebody said, I don't need it or think I'll be needing it in near future, so why add something that could develop a leak.

My dives are from 40-90min, with the possibility doing longer dives somewhere down the road, so there's no real need.

Best money I ever spent! After doing my cave class in Fl. I realized it was the best thing. I have only had one issue where the tube came off...not while going. Needless to say it was cold dive.

Butch

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom