Religion?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bwerb, you've got some excellent points there.

You know, this thread was about some made-up, entertaining paper that I had to do for my religion class, and somehow it's turned into yet another DIR debate.

Guys, I really don't care how you dive. Seriously. I really couldn't care less. I'm not in the business of "converting." Dive as you see fit.

That said, be sure to look at all of the options. I did, and it changed the way I felt about DIR "Nazis" 180 degrees.

I can understand how y'all feel about it... I felt the same way. You're welcome to your opinion. Who am I to tell you it's wrong or right or whatever?

Likewise, though, I must admit that I was wrong about DIR when I called them "Nazis." I was going on the little bit of information that I had... Which wasn't any good. I found that I needed to check it out myself before forming an opinion.

And so I did. And here I am. Simple. It's not about religion... No more than people who prefer Chevy over Ford or the 49'ers over the Packers or whatever. Those aren't religions... Neither is DIR. It's got nothing to do with God, a higher power, spiritual forces, or achieving Zen. It's got nothing to do with Jehovah's Witnesses or the Amway guy or anything else...

I really don't care if you dive DIR or not. Seriously.

But if you ask me what I recommend in the realm of motorcycles, I'm going to tell you that Honda makes the best machines I've ever known... Then I might get all weepy and tell you about my first. That doesn't make me a Honda-ite.

Likewise, if you ask me about diving, I'm going to tell you how I feel. Hey, you asked!

IMHO, what I really see here is a bunch of NON-DIR-ites going around telling everyone "all about DIR" and "how it's a religion" and that sort of stuff. Last weekend, I rode for an hour out to a dive site while my another diver told me all about "Durr" diving. I kid you not. Does that not prove that he has no idea what he's talking about? The fact that he doesn't know it's not called "Durr?"

I just shut my mouth and let him spout. Whatever, man. I'm not interested in defending "Durr," and I don't care if you dive "Durr" or not...

And you know what? I'm the one who didn't say a word about it. He was the one that sounded like a zealot to me. I never said a word.

...Which is exactly what I see often on this board.

No, DIR is not a religion. If you feel that way, then I recommend checking it out for yourself... Go look at DIR in person, for real and tell me what you see.

...Or not. I really don't care. But don't ask if you don't want to hear about the way I think is the safest and most enjoyable way to dive.

That's it. No religion involved.

Bwerb and SeaJay. It's only diving and there are some interesting analogies. So, your both right. Please repeat: "yea, I see it. You are right." Remember, it's only diving. Now if someone wants to argue true religion, I'm up for it in some appropriate froum. :)

By the way SJ, the paper is inspired. I give it a definite "A." (Even though the assignment was a little blasphemous and any teacher of religion would know better. The instructor must be an Historian?) Still, I am curious to see what grade it receives.

it should be lived. Maybe there is a lesson for diving in there as well. :tease:

:eek:ff: I know it's off topic but I had to say something.
But if you ask me what I recommend in the realm of motorcycles, I'm going to tell you that Honda makes the best machines I've ever known... Then I might get all weepy and tell you about my first. That doesn't make me a Honda-ite.
SeaJay, I'm getting all teary-eyed thinking about my first Honda. A 1989 CBR600 Hurricane.:D What a bike that was. I picked it up for 1500 quid as my high school graduation present. Good times, good times.

Ok, back on topic now, did you get the grade back on the paper yet?

landlocked once bubbled...
By the way SJ, the paper is inspired. I give it a definite "A." (Even though the assignment was a little blasphemous and any teacher of religion would know better. The instructor must be an Historian?) Still, I am curious to see what grade it receives.

Thanks a lot! :)

It got an A.

The instructor is a pastor at Parris Island, the Marine base.

SCORE ResQ once bubbled...

SeaJay, I'm getting all teary-eyed thinking about my first Honda. A 1989 CBR600 Hurricane.:D What a bike that was. I picked it up for 1500 quid as my high school graduation present. Good times, good times.

My first Honda was a CR80 in 1984. Monoshock suspension was all the rage. :D

My next one wasn't for years later... A 1999 VFR800. Then a CBR1100XX.

Boy, you wanna talk about good times on a bike... Whoowhee! Thinkin' that one day I need to return to that lifestyle...

?

what does religion have to do with business studies?

unless you intend to move into the religion retail market, selling bibles and statues of the virgin mary

Sorry, Religion is a core requirement at the University of South Carolina.

English, Physics, and Calculus don't have anything to do with Business Management either, but I took them too.

I'm not happy about it. I had to pay for it, you know. :(

It was explained to me that "graduates of the University of South Carolina must be well-rounded as well as specialized."

Whatever. :rolleyes:

I miss the University of Arizona... Where my education was pertinent.

I'll always be a Wildcat. :D

Back
Top Bottom