relocating to utila in april

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lion-fish eater,

if you happen to know any of those couples, by all means, please send them my way. i understand that, in general, humanity will compromise beliefs, values, and freedom for convenience but i am not interested in allowing that to continue for myself. i would vehemently disagree with the comment "moderately corrupt leadership" because if you take the time and effort to research the history of this country, particularly in more recent decades, you will be astounded by the amount of unscrupulous behavior that occurs. and it is not in the general public's favor. while the majority of people do not seem to take issue with this I do, and that is a major factor in wanting to leave.

so, like i said, send that couple my way :)

but it certainly is difficult to keep an optimistic outlook on relocating and completely altering your life when those who are more knowledgeable are telling you it's nearly impossible.

rubina,

I have been patiently and quietly researching this same idea over several years, albeit for different reasons than yourself. I found the above quote from you interesting because, like you, I'm having the same experience. One thing/thought that has always kept me moving forward in this regard - those members telling you it is nearly impossible to do are, in many of the instances, doing it themselves. So... derive from that what you will. It could mean they are looking out for YOUR best interests (you'll starve, go broke, crack under the work load, etc.) or it could be looking out for THIER best interest (with every enthusiastic go-getter type instructor that arrives, thier slice of the pie gets smaller).

Human nature is such that we protect what we love. If I loved my job, would I spread the word world-wide how awesome it is and tell you that you should come join me and take my income away from me?

The simple fact remains that intelligent humans can largely accomplish anything they want bad enough. How bad do you want this? Perhaps moreso than the guy sitting in his office watching it snow telling you that you should forget your dreams. The question shouldn't be "Can I actually do this?" but instead "How have those that walked this path before me become successful doing it?"

HTH

rubina,

The simple fact remains that intelligent humans can largely accomplish anything they want bad enough. How bad do you want this? Perhaps moreso than the guy sitting in his office watching it snow telling you that you should forget your dreams. The question shouldn't be "Can I actually do this?" but instead "How have those that walked this path before me become successful doing it?"

HTH

Great post and I would love to hear from others that have relocated and been able to make it but lets not allow posts from Course Directors, Dive shop owners, Property owners and the like who can profit from such things. Lets hear from anyone who decided to relocate to the Bay islands for more than a few months and actually was able to make it while doing things completely legal including residency, taxes, rtn and the like

rtbdiver,

i have been politely attempting to ignore the incessantly replicated comments from you about the issue of legalized employment but it's just become too much to bear. first, if you will reread what i originally wrote to begin this thread it went a bit like this:

1) can anyone offer information on the complexities of getting a work VISA, with u.s. citizenship? and once ISSUED, are there opportunities?

i cannot come to any rational conclusion about why that inquiry has caused you to reiterate and reiterate and reiterate the same response about gaining employment legally. that is EXACTLY what i was asking about. why would i request information about visas if i intended to work illegally. please explain this. you know, if you are so concerned about promoting legal employment why not provide useful information about how one can accomplish that rather than constantly pointing out how important it is.

second, judging from your profile it seems that you are both a u.s. and honduran citizen. or perhaps you split your time between the two locations and only work while you are in the states. or perhaps you are financially stable enough to not concern yourself with needing visas. there are a number of options here...but it all comes down to the fact that YOU have found a way to survive on a honduran island, at least in some respect, so it would be far more beneficial if you could offer enlightening information about how you accomplished that instead of repeating the same agenda constantly.

this post was written to request helpful information from individuals that have been successful relocating, NOT to have people explain the basics of a functioning economy. i don't need a lesson in that.

this post was written to request helpful information from individuals that have been successful relocating, NOT to have people explain the basics of a functioning economy..

Yet you seemed quite happy once you got the one post about how you should follow your dreams and at the same time that same poster suggested getting paid under the table, paying off the immigration guy and not being legal. Seems if you were really serious about this stuff you would have taken time to write him and say his illegal ways were of no interest to you.
If you want to do it legal, NO One here can give you better info than if you just pay a Honduran lawyer. I have one, I do it legal, I am sure most of the business folks here do as well. You are talking about relocating with no idea of what your getting into other than the Jimmy Buffett dream. Take a few weeks or so to visit, talk with a honduran lawyer, talk with others who have done or are hoping to live your dream. I Have seen so many come to live in paradise and fail because they did not research and believed what they saw on HGTV and it should make you shudder. I have seen the most popular pizza place go under, have seen a popular tour operator go under, and I am sure many others will as well. If you feel your different and can make it legally, then have at it. We all will look back at these posts and say there goes another one. Heck, Even the dude with the degree in business that took over a successful bar in Roatan has since moved on and the lease is for sale.
Sorry if my posts are not all through ROSE COLORED GLASSES, BUT, They are Honest

So what's it cost to go from not O/W to DM ?
$1500 ?
And it takes what?
Two months ?
Is there any work for newly minted DMs, with no gear, in June ?
What's the low season in Utila like ?
Do those restaurant/bar jobs disappear ?

I'd be looking for answers to these questions, and others on the ground in Utila, not on the internet.

So yes maybe you can take your OW1 to DM in 2 months, it can be done I have seen it for myself in the short time I was there. Are you experienced enough to get a job as a DM... possibly. With enough Dive time on the North Side many shops will see that as a positive thing, I myself did over 100 dives in 5 weeks from rescue to DM. Also by doing all your courses at one shop, you learn the in's and outs and how things work. DM's come and go all the time, I have 3 friends of mine who are all DM's in Utila and one of which did the courses from the start. They all have jobs, not earning much I might add but in reality you dont need much to survive comfortably. They are all leaving soon, opening the doors for new DM's.

Costs, $1500 is a good number to work with and will include accomodation, be it simple but comfortable.
Low season is quiet but not super quiet, jobs outside of diving might be hard to come by like bars and restaurants as the people that stay on from the peak months generally want to keep their jobs through the quiet times.

Not having your own gear is not a huge factor. Make sure to have a Dive Computer and you'll be fine.

The truth is go and see if you like it there, it might not be for you long term. I personally would go back in a heart beat.

"but lets not allow posts from Course Directors, Dive shop owners, Property owners and the like who can profit from such things."

What about if they arrived in the same position as what the OP is aiming for, inexperienced, newly qualified dive pro, no savings, just a positive attitude?

Last edited:
What about if they arrived in the same position as what the OP is aiming for, inexperienced, newly qualified dive pro, no savings, just a positive attitude?

Except the OP is not a newly qualified dive pro, They are not even certified divers according to earlier posts and are or were curious if there were employment options within other fields.

Great post PhotoBret

Those are just a few of the questions I'd like to have the answers to before deciding to take the plunge, uproot, and relocate.

It's been my experience that the majority of people who've done the whole "live the dream" thing have had some cash behind them. They've saved up for a couple of years, sold a house, sold a business, taken early retirement etc.

Back
Top Bottom