relocating to utila in april

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rubinax,
:confined:
I have met many such people along the way of my travels, I met them by traveling to places where you can meet and talk to people who are trying to make a living in the local economy. I don't hang around the swim up bar at the AI resort. You can too, but you have to go there to make it real. I am interested in sailing/boating around for a while, so I went to some marinas and talked to an assortment of boaters. I met all types. One was operating a live aboard/dive school called divers at play. This might be an option for your training. I also met a couple who was in month two of a two year trip around the world in a nicely rigged catermarain who have limited space available for hitchhikers on various legs of their journey. Etc, you just have to go to know.
The point of my post was not to discourage you. The point is that it is easier to make some money here first and have a travel fund before you go. Depending on your needs, that can be a lot or a little. The less developed an area is, the fewer opportunities there are. However you may have a skill that is needed? The couples I refer to didn't have sufficient funds to survive the long haul of begining a career. Here at home, most new businesses fail because they don;t have enough capital to survive long enough to build a steady clientel even though they have great offerings.
I have looked into buying a place, but after a week on one island, I was offered two house sitting oppportunities after people got to know me.
I know all to well about the evils of the world. I am very knowledgeable regarding world, national and environmental issues. I am a strong proponant for 911 truth, I am well aware of the govt by and for the corporations. I live in a state where corporate farming is in full control. (the police arrested someone last week for exchanging raw milk) Farmers are having their crops forfited because the pollen from nearby genetically modified corn has crossed with theirs and is now the property of monsanto who owns the patent. Etc Etc The ocean are being raped by commercial fishing worldwide. Fish are being genetically marked so their offspring can be claimed as corporate property for generations to come. Electric cars are really coal burners, as that is where most electricity comes from. The financial crisis was the greatest scam on the working people of the world. Engineered to take their accumulated wealth, break the auto and construction trades and labor in general, and to incur huge public debt. Thus robbing our past, present and future.
The point of this diatribe was that none of this will stop unless we the people unite and stand up and be counted. In the spirit of The late senator Wellstone not as a Teapartyer. I understand your disappointment with the current condition of mankind. But rather than turn your back and bury your toes in the sand, you can be a part of the solution by being the change you want to see in the world. You can do that anywhere. I eat local/organic, support independent businesses, etc, etc.
I stopped trying to change the sheepole of the world and decided to become a better sheepole dog. It's easier to turn the herd in the right direction if you know how to nip their heels.
This will be my one and only post that is political in any way, as this is not the appropriate site. That being said, members should read the posts about scubaboards law suit as it is directed at freedom of speach issues. If this case appears before a judge who believes that the "people" already have too many freedoms, speach being just one of them that can be restricted by the state, then we are all in trouble. These forums and the internet are the mechanism for information transfer, and should remain unrestricted. People must be free to state their version of the "truth" without fear of being sued.
I ended my post with set sail, etc. I was encouraging you go explore for yourself in what we used to call real-time, not virtually as you stated you had looked all over on the internet.

Best Wishes Lionfish-eater

:confined: Get out of the jar!

One was operating a live aboard/dive school called divers at play
Generally not a great operation to base things on. They have a bad reputation on Roatan , Belize and other ports of call they have been involved with . Maybe that has changed but the reputation is not good.

This will be my one and only post that is political in any way
Thank goodness because this is a forum about Roatan and the bay Islands and you wasted a lot of time writing about your views on US Politics.

I spent 4 months or so on Utila in 2006. I became a DM and then Instructor while there.

When did you do your instructor training? I did mine on Utila in Feb 2006. I wonder if we crossed paths. :)

-kari

Lastly, you don't need a huge amount of cash to move out there. If you have enough to fund you to DM status and live thats fine. Once you start earning be it DM and living on site or as an Instructor in which you will earn much more and be able to have your own place for about $350 a month. I would have a nice safety net in case something goes awry, but the cool thing is that once you get a job its probably not going to dissapear, unless 'A' the company goes under or 'B' you do something silly and get fired. You will find you wont be dipping into your savings much at all after a while and with a reputed shop you will get enough 'Scuba Reviews' and 'Fun Divers' to add to your salary as a bonus.

Bottom line is being comfortable is where it costs and finding an appartment is easy as they are always being advertised. Expect to pay $350 for a one maybe two bedroom with cable and electricity. The main thing is electricity being included as Utila has some of the highest electricity bills imaginable as the island is run on Diesel. Also people who are renting out appts want the business and if you approach them with a bulk amount for an extended period you might be able to wangle a deal on lower rent. The island being such a nomadic place with people staying such short periods of time some places really want long term tenants.

I'm going on year three living in The Bay Islands. One and one half years on Utila and almost a year on Guanaja. While this in no way makes me an expert on living here it has given me some good insight to life here. First off, enought with the political garbage. We can find good or bad wherever we look in this world. I personally am real sick and tired of the "bashers". You know the types. They've got too much to say about everything and in the end they don't appear to know about anything at all other than their own opinions. And like the old saying goes about opinions ..... everybody's got one.

I came here to start a new life as a result of the economis down turn. The comment about undeveloped countries offering fewer opportunities I think is plain bologna. IMHO the less developed a country the MORE opportunities available to the creative hard worker. Follow your dreams, work hard, treat people with kindness, maintain your integrity and you will find the silver lining in those tropical storms. Don't let others persuade or dissuade you, my comments included. Come to Utila. Spend a month and then decide if this is where you want to live.

Good luck.

I'm going on year three living in The Bay Islands. One and one half years on Utila and almost a year on Guanaja. While this in no way makes me an expert on living here it has given me some good insight to life here. First off, enought with the political garbage. We can find good or bad wherever we look in this world. I personally am real sick and tired of the "bashers". You know the types. They've got too much to say about everything and in the end they don't appear to know about anything at all other than their own opinions. And like the old saying goes about opinions ..... everybody's got one.

I came here to start a new life as a result of the economis down turn. The comment about undeveloped countries offering fewer opportunities I think is plain bologna. IMHO the less developed a country the MORE opportunities available to the creative hard worker. Follow your dreams, work hard, treat people with kindness, maintain your integrity and you will find the silver lining in those tropical storms. Don't let others persuade or dissuade you, my comments included. Come to Utila. Spend a month and then decide if this is where you want to live.

Good luck.
So please,
Inform people of what it takes for residency or legal work visas so they can work legally, pay taxes and do things the right way so as not to be just another illegal alien working in a country with unemployment of locals around 50%, what were the lawyer costs?. What is available so you can take jobs that no local would take so as not to take jobs from a Honduran? How much hassle was it to get your RTN number? Please fill us in on how easy or hard you found it to work legally as well as what one can expect to be taken out for taxes on a regular basis.

Last edited:
RTB Diver,

I usually stay out of the fray, but you are showing your ass and your ignorance. Captain Angelo(lagonia) runs Guanaja Air. Everything he does is above board. He has one of the nicest planes and most reliable charter services between rtb-uti-ceiba-sps-guanaja. His plane flies with a US tail number requiring a greater level of maintenance and inspection. Do you really think that he would be landing at these airports and competing with Sosa/atlantic if he wasn't doing it right?

Know who you are casting aspersions towards before you do.

RTB Diver,

I usually stay out of the fray, but you are showing your ass and your ignorance. Captain Angelo(lagonia) runs Guanaja Air. Everything he does is above board. He has one of the nicest planes and most reliable charter services between rtb-uti-ceiba-sps-guanaja. His plane flies with a US tail number requiring a greater level of maintenance and inspection. Do you really think that he would be landing at these airports and competing with Sosa/atlantic if he wasn't doing it right?

Know who you are casting aspersions towards before you do.
Read my post before you start with the moronic accusations , Did I ever suggest the pilot guy was not doing it right? Why would I ask him for info on what it took if I did not think he was one that did it legally, I never suggested the pilot/private airline guy was not doing things right, I just asked that he post his experience with times, costs and hassles to do so. Not that this really matters as it is still in reply to someone looking to relocate that seems to have little to offer at this time.

Name calling when you get busted. Mature. Re-read your own post. What you were doing is clear.

:confused:
Name calling when you get busted. Mature. Re-read your own post. What you were doing is clear.

:confused: I asked the guy that did it correctly just what it took? Is that out of line? If he is going to suggest it is a good idea to relocate with no experience and little to offer but a dream then he certainly can offer up what it took for him to do it when backed with a viable business and funding. Does your hostility come from my asking about taxes and legalities? I am sure you charge and pay the 16% tax as required just like the rest of us, so why the uproar?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom