Remembering 9/11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Missdirected

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been looking at my watch the past couple weeks, realizing the 9/11 anniversary is about to be upon us....

I just wanted to start a thread for people to drop their thoughts or feelings. Please, no politics, I will ask anything of that nature be removed from this particular thread.

Every time I think of 9/11 I remember my family speaking of when JFK was shot and killed and how everyone seemed to remember exactly what they were doing when they heard the news. I remember them speaking of how "time stood still". Being a kid I had no idea of what they were speaking.

I now know what it means to have time stand still. JFK was before my time however, I can now relate to what I'd always heard.... I can tell you exactly what I was wearing the morning of 9/11 and every emotion I went through the day the towers fell. Time stood still.

I received a call from a friend and was told to turn on the news. I grabbed my long black robe, ran for the remote and turned the TV on. There I sat at the edge of my bed. Of course there was footage of the tower and the plane that had just passed into it. What an amazing site. How could a pilot make such and error!

As I sat in awe, watching the now "live" footage, another plane hit the towers. I remember sitting on the edge of my bed, when the second plane hit I remember clasping my mouth, sliding off the edge of my bed, my knees hitting the ground, and beginning to cry uncontrollably. I knew we were under attack. Panic set in for me. I wanted everyone I knew and loved home with me. Safe.

I couldn't move from that tv for days. All I could do was cry. I remember watching people jump out of the burning buildings.... Again, all I could do was cry.

Time definitely stood still as I sat watching and unable to help. It is etched on my mind forever.

I will leave it at that for now.:sadangel:

Bless the USA

Last edited:
To my brothers in EMS, Fire, and Police, God bless you! Tonight we are at work watching 9/11 videos between 911 calls. We will never forget you!

Kenny Taylor
Paramedic

Last edited:
:usa:

Just another day in the office when the news broke. Lots of hearsay and rumours as there was no TV or radio present and every internet news site was unavailable due to massive interest.

Last edited:
afraid.jpg

We are thinking of you guys across the water today, our soldiers proudly serve with your soldiers!

British soldier killed

Last edited:
I've been looking at my watch the past couple weeks, realizing the 9/11 anniversary is about to be upon us....

I just wanted to start a thread for people to drop their thoughts or feelings. Please, no politics, I will ask anything of that nature be removed from this particular thread.

Every time I think of 9/11 I remember my family speaking of when JFK was shot and killed and how everyone seemed to remember exactly what they were doing when they heard the news. I remember them speaking of how "time stood still". Being a kid I had no idea of what they were speaking.

I remember when I got the news. I was at work, my first day back after completing my cave course.

Mom called to tell me about the first plane crash, when it was originally being reported as a small single engine plane. I brushed it off at first, because we were busy that morning, but it wasn't long before more news started filtering in with the true gravity of the situation.

I worked the night of the 10th in the ER, but I had gotten to go to bed about 6 am. When I woke up, I opened the door to my room and heard a lot of voices and commotion. I asked what was going on, and somebody said a plane had flown into the towers. I turned on the TV, just in time to see the second one. It didn't seem real -- It looked like something that was being faked to cause a ruckus (like the War of the Worlds broadcast, years ago.) Then, as the day wore on, it became painfully clear it was.

I remember JFK, Bobby, the Space Shuttles Chalanger & Columbia, and now this ...
A sad day .. and a proud one, I give thanks for all those that gave their lives helping others

They have the children of the 9/11 victims speaking on some of the cable news networks.

Kleenex please...

I was in the office, which is located in the Times Square area when both planes hit and watched it on the news. After the second plane hit we were ordered to evacuate the building because of countless rumors that other highjack planes could be targeting high profile NYC area. With all subway and ferry service suspended, the streets filled with people who could not get out of Manhattan.

It was very surreal walking south on Fifth Ave watching the black billowing smoke contrast against the blue sky from where the towers once sat. Crowds were standing around electronic store windows watching the TV. I headed to the West Village to check on my loved ones. When I was three blocks from St. Vincent’s Hospital, I noticed a line that stretched to the entrance of St. Vincent’s and was told it was a line for blood donations. Gratifying to see human kindness at its best after of such a horrific act.

I had a chill in my heart when I passed the emergency entrance of St. Vincent’s Hospital because as I looked south on 7th Ave there was not one ambulance or emergency vehicle arriving. The second tower had fallen well over an hour earlier so I expected to see the wounded arriving, with sirens blaring, as I crossed 7th Ave. Instead, there were no sirens but rows and rows of gurneys were lined up, doctors, nurses and medical techs were outside ready to treat the wounded but none were arriving. At that moment I knew that most, if not all in those towers, had perished.

Spent the rest of the day like most of America and the world, watching the television and trying to make sense of it all. There was an awful odor in the air that day which remained in the air for weeks afterward. Never smelled that odor before then and have not smelled it again after it finally went away weeks later. I know people who perished that day and their families are still raw with the pain. I know firefighters and rescue workers who were there and they still battle the mental demons from being at ground zero.

It is very important to remember that day but it is equally important to appreciate and live life otherwise the terrorist will have won.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom